Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I wanted to offer my opinions on the following matchup: the new Mustang V6 vs the Fiesta ST.

Some history: I've owned a MkV GTI, an AP1 S2000, an NA Miata. I bought a 2014 Mustang V6 because the timing was right and the deal was good (got a pure base model for under $19K).

I traded my 2014 Mustang V6 in for my FiST. Here's why:

1) Power delivery
Yup, the Mustang has 305HP. Yup, you can tell, when it's above 5000RPMs. The bad news? The 2.73 stock gears were AWFUL. 2nd gear takes you to 83MPH. You get to use the power exactly twice before hitting go-to-jail speeds. It had NO low-end power, and the gearing only made the problem worse. Even if you want to use the power in those upper gears, you can't because the speed limiter is set to 113MPH. The Fiesta has that fun "thrust in the back" feeling that the GTI had.

2) Handling
Don't get me wrong, the Mustang wasn't bad in this aspect. But, the Fiesta is just SO tossable. Handling feels Miata-like. Steering wheel is small and nice - very very direct. You can really, really feel the weight difference. The Mustang was HUGE.

3) 6th gear
Did I mention gearing above? It's so bad that I wanted to mention it twice. On the highway, 85MPH was under 2000 RPMs. Using cruise control at 65MPH was absolutely hopeless (unless you live in a very flat state). 4th gear was the passing gear - even 5th was slow. I drove the car like a 4-speed, using 5th once I got on the highway. The Fiesta has a useable 6th gear as low as 40MPH, and it becomes a passing gear if you're doing 50+. 6th gear in the Mustang is geared for a top speed at redline of 301MPH. The driveshaft removes itself from the car around 135MPH.

4) Features
I got base models of both cars (well, painted wheels on the Fiesta, but you get it). They were priced similarly. The FiST absolutely blows the Mustang out of the water when it comes to standard features. The Mustang had buttons on the radio that didn't work. The "SIRIUS" button reminded me that the car doesn't come with satellite radio. The "Phone" button didn't do a single thing - you'd press it all day and it just looks at you like you're stupid. The Mustang did have some cool steering modes (Comfort/Standard/Sport) and a leather wrapped wheel. The HIDs were really nice, and I wish the Fiesta came with them here. However, the Fiesta has the MFT system - I can talk to the lady and tell her what temperature to set my automatic climate control to. Bluetooth, satellite, all the buttons work... such an improvement. Oh, and the keyless entry is AWESOME. The key on the Mustang was dumb and big and stabby - probably 4" long, no sort of folding.

5) Fun factor
I liked the Mustang. It was good, on paper. It sounded fantastic after I put an exhaust on it. I LOVE the Fiesta. It's a rare thing, a lovable car. It has the same charm as those legendary cars, the S2K, Miata, GTI... this is a car that plants a smile on your face with no effort.

Other points to consider (that didn't really impact my decision):
Fuel economy - 17 avg in the Mustang vs 30 avg in the Fiesta for me
Seating - I didn't opt for the Recaros, but some people prefer them and they're impossible to find in a non-loaded Mustang. Seating position is much better in the FiST
Back seat - People who say the Fiesta's is small haven't seen the Mustang :). The Fiesta seats 5 (or at least has 5 seatbelts). If everyone in the car is under 6', there won't be any leg room issues.
Doors - I would have actually preferred 2 doors because I don't have kids, but the 4 doors isn't bad either.

So, the long and short is that the Fiesta was a better car for me. If you like the 1/4 mile and smoky burnouts, the Mustang might be the car for you. But go for the nicer models - the base model is easily outdone by its competition.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The problem with the V6 Mustang is that there is always the 5.0, why the hell anyone would get an V6 is beyond me..

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The savings were ~$250/mo between insurance, gas, and payment... you'd think 305HP would be enough to keep anyone satisfied lol.

But, I learned why they say you're never disappointed when you buy the best.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The savings were ~$250/mo between insurance, gas, and payment... you'd think 305HP would be enough to keep anyone satisfied lol.

But, I learned why they say you're never disappointed when you buy the best.
Its all rational and well until the guy pulls up next to you in an 5.0 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree 100%. Just yesterday I traded my 2013 mustang v6 manual in for the FiST. My stang was far from stock. BAMA tune, 3.73 gears, exhaust, ETC. Now granted 1/4 mile times were better (ran a 13.8 in the stang) but the FiST just "feels" quicker and more enjoyable to drive. Not to mention, those 3.73 gears KILLED my gas mileage, so it's great to have that back while keeping the fun factor in the FiST. Day two only for me but so far so good :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yeah idk how ya did it...my bolt on '12 5.0 felt kinda slow after awhile lol.

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Alas, with the holidays and some family issues I haven't had a chance to take a spin yet. I'm going tomorrow. I will let you know. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Preaching to the choir OP :p

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
1) Power delivery
Yup, the Mustang has 305HP. Yup, you can tell, when it's above 5000RPMs. The bad news? The 2.73 stock gears were AWFUL. 2nd gear takes you to 83MPH. You get to use the power exactly twice before hitting go-to-jail speeds. It had NO low-end power, and the gearing only made the problem worse. Even if you want to use the power in those upper gears, you can't because the speed limiter is set to 113MPH. The Fiesta has that fun "thrust in the back" feeling that the GTI had.
Outside of mpg I hear the 2.73 stock gears suck, but the stock 3.31 gears I got through my performance package rock! Low end power for me feels like it starts at 2500 kicks you back in your seat at 3500. I have tons of low end power. From a dead stop the back end moves 6-12 inches as I take off, climbing to 5500 and shifting to 2nd causes the back end to shudder as the tires are trying to find grip. I know there's a speed limiter, but I never go that high to worry about it on the streets.

2) Handling
Don't get me wrong, the Mustang wasn't bad in this aspect. But, the Fiesta is just SO tossable. Handling feels Miata-like. Steering wheel is small and nice - very very direct. You can really, really feel the weight difference. The Mustang was HUGE.
It's a heavy car no doubt and it's been a while since I've been in a light car. I'm thinking about test driving a Fiesta ST, but since I love cars I'd probably want to try buying one since it is so affordable. Still, the performance package really helps the handling on the base v6 mustang.

3) 6th gear
Did I mention gearing above? It's so bad that I wanted to mention it twice. On the highway, 85MPH was under 2000 RPMs. Using cruise control at 65MPH was absolutely hopeless (unless you live in a very flat state). 4th gear was the passing gear - even 5th was slow. I drove the car like a 4-speed, using 5th once I got on the highway. The Fiesta has a useable 6th gear as low as 40MPH, and it becomes a passing gear if you're doing 50+. 6th gear in the Mustang is geared for a top speed at redline of 301MPH. The driveshaft removes itself from the car around 135MPH.
I'm trying to remember, but I think I am at 2100 or 2200 @ 65 mph. I can easily pass in 6th gear, not as easily in 5th or 4th, but definitely manageable on the highway commute. If someone is being a jerk and doesn't want to let me in then I drop a gear or 2 to get in the lane anyways.

4) Features
I got base models of both cars (well, painted wheels on the Fiesta, but you get it). They were priced similarly. The FiST absolutely blows the Mustang out of the water when it comes to standard features. The Mustang had buttons on the radio that didn't work. The "SIRIUS" button reminded me that the car doesn't come with satellite radio. The "Phone" button didn't do a single thing - you'd press it all day and it just looks at you like you're stupid. The Mustang did have some cool steering modes (Comfort/Standard/Sport) and a leather wrapped wheel. The HIDs were really nice, and I wish the Fiesta came with them here. However, the Fiesta has the MFT system - I can talk to the lady and tell her what temperature to set my automatic climate control to. Bluetooth, satellite, all the buttons work... such an improvement. Oh, and the keyless entry is AWESOME. The key on the Mustang was dumb and big and stabby - probably 4" long, no sort of folding.
I agree here. Aside from the performance pkg and security pkg, I bought my base v6 for 23k out the door. I recently bought AdvancedKey ($300) and hope to install it soon so I can have keyless entry and keyless start. I also bought a cheesy FM transmitter ($25) so I can bluetooth with my car. The features on the Fiesta ST really make me want to trade in my car, but it's always a losing proposition money-wise to part with a car so soon. Heck, if I could get on a Jump plan like on T-Mobile with a car dealer, I'd pay extra to trade out my car every 6-12 months. Alas, trying to do this with cars is nowhere near as affordable as phones.

5) Fun factor
I liked the Mustang. It was good, on paper. It sounded fantastic after I put an exhaust on it. I LOVE the Fiesta. It's a rare thing, a lovable car. It has the same charm as those legendary cars, the S2K, Miata, GTI... this is a car that plants a smile on your face with no effort.

Other points to consider (that didn't really impact my decision):
Fuel economy - 17 avg in the Mustang vs 30 avg in the Fiesta for me
Seating - I didn't opt for the Recaros, but some people prefer them and they're impossible to find in a non-loaded Mustang. Seating position is much better in the FiST
Back seat - People who say the Fiesta's is small haven't seen the Mustang :). The Fiesta seats 5 (or at least has 5 seatbelts). If everyone in the car is under 6', there won't be any leg room issues.
Doors - I would have actually preferred 2 doors because I don't have kids, but the 4 doors isn't bad either.

So, the long and short is that the Fiesta was a better car for me. If you like the 1/4 mile and smoky burnouts, the Mustang might be the car for you. But go for the nicer models - the base model is easily outdone by its competition.
My friend has a base mustang v6 auto with just the tech package. I had him ride in my car and he said it makes a world of difference. If he had my car he said he wouldn't want to get rid of his. However, he's jaded by his V6 so he's waiting until the 2015 comes out and he's going to trade it at a huge loss to get the new v8. I fill up my tank every week so mpg is something I want to have, but I like having power in my ride. The Fiesta ST seems like it could fit the bill for me, power and great mpg. I have 2 car seats in the back seat of my stang, so rear doors would definitely be nice. I love my mustang but it'd be nice to change it up and drive something a little more family friendly. On the other hand, the main reason I bought my mustang in the first place is because I don't know of any other brand new, rear drive, 305 hp car for under $25k.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You sound exactly like me lol. RWD, 305HP, "31 MPG" (lol), and a 6-speed - I got mine for under $19K. You'd think it was a steal (and it was). But considering I got 18.500 for it and got the Fiesta for just under 20K, it just made sense.

The real test is the test drive. That's the only way if you can tell if a car is for you. It definitely was for me, and the money part of it made sense. I was at $360ish/mo for the Mustang at 72 months... got 0% on the Fiesta for 60 months @ 400 bucks.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts