Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is RallySport Direct’s documentation of the first oil change of our new Ford Fiesta ST shop car!

We decided to get the oil change done at close to 1000 miles on the clock. We were going to wait until 1000 miles, but we wanted to get this thing on the dyno so we can get you guys some more figures to work with when building your own ST, so we could wait no longer.
First thing on the list was to get the car in the air, and secured by some sturdy jack stands. We got the hood open to see how things looked under there, everything looks perfect:

So, we picked up our oil. In this case we picked up some 5w-20 Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil and a Motorcraft Silicone valve oil filter.

Part number of the oil filter we used:

Motorcraft FL-910S

Next on the list was to get the tools together so we can get this thing started.

Tools Needed:

13 mm wrench

3/8 drive ratchet

Oil catch pan

Oil filter wrench (not pictured)
Great! Now that we are all prepared, let’s get started, shall we? Let’s get under there and take a look at what we are up against. This car seems to be much easier to work on underneath than our Focus ST, there is no under tray in the way of the oil filter or the drain plug in the oil pan!

With no covers in the way, you can see what we have under there, the oil filter is right up front and center, and the drain plug is on the back side by the intercooler piping. Let’s get these things off and take a look at the oil.

This is simple, just like any other oil change; take the drain plug out,

The oil will now drain into your catch pan you sat underneath the plug area. Oil doesn’t look too bad considering this is the first 1000 miles.

Now we can take the oil filter off. Careful, this can get a bit messy, wear gloves if available. Ours was a little tricky to get off, it took a bit of persistence and the oil filter tool to get it off, ultimately, it came off though.

Ok. There we go, all off, now, wait until the oil drains out completely.

This would be a good time to prime our Motorcraft oil filter. Be careful here, or use a funnel, I prefer no funnel because there is less of a chance you might overfill and spill. But to each their own.

Now that we have it mostly primed, I like to dip my finger in the oil and lube up the oil seal ring for a good seal to the seat.

All good, let’s move on to the next step. Now we can thread the oil filter on to the block. Looks good so far!

Next, thread on the oil drain plug, we decided to replace our factory drain plug with one from Dimple, their drain plugs use a neodymium magnet that grabs almost ALL of the metal debris out of the oil between oil changes.

Now we can start re-filling the oil, according to the manual, the Fiesta ST takes 4.3 quarts. We found that 4 full quarts and emptying the last quart to the “20 ounce” mark worked perfectly for us, your experience may vary.

After this is all said and done, don’t forget to take your oil to your nearest auto parts store and recycle your used oil.

Now we should be good for another eight to ten thousand miles! We hope you enjoyed reading this little tutorial, we know there already are some available on this site, but we just wanted to make one of our own so we can document the progress we’re making on this fun project! Enjoy the rest of your day! Thanks for reading.

For more information about the oil filter we used, and the Dimple drain plug, click the respective images below.

Corby
RallySportDirect.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
Awesome write up guys.

Side note, that intercooler piping does not look like its very good for flow, i can see 2-3 different choke points. Crazy.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you know the thread pitch and size of the drain plug, we can get them for you. If we find this out, we would be happy to stock these. I'm finding M22x1.5, but I need confirmation. If you guys know for sure, please, feel free to post your findings.

Thanks!
Corby
Hi, what is the part number for the magnetic drain plug? or what is the link to buy it on your site?

thanks,

·
Registered
488 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts