Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys next weekend will be the first time I try autocross. I was wondering what advice you guys could give me on tire pressure and anything else. One thing I've been most excited for with buying my FiSt. I'm very excited to see how I do! Any tips ?! Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Reactions: Cligedy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Novices tend to overcook everything. Remember the fastest drivers look slow and the slowest drivers look fast. It's all cliche but you gotta go slow to go fast.

setting up the car: don't mess with it except to remember to turn off your A/C and the stability control. Just make sure your lug nuts are properly torqued and that there's air in the tires. Take everything out of the car that's not nailed down.

concentrate on staying on course for this event. Sometimes you can get lost, especially on small lots if the course folds over itself a few times.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Do not set any expectations. Experience will make you a better driver. If you have no expectations you will have more fun.

Reactions: Socko

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I know I'm gonna end up being the guy that goes off course a lot lol bad memory. This should be fun!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
WALK WALK WALK WALK!

Go Slow at first, and if your organization allows it, get an experienced FWD driver (look at their results, not just their E-Peen) to ride along and open your ears

Dont play with your car setup, air up the tires to 40psi front/45 psi rear (HOT) and go from there. Dont try to FTD, you wont.

Bring water, rain gear, comfortable shoes, an umbrella and an open mind.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just watched video. Nice, it was SunLife. When was that? How do you find out about them down here in South Florida?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wonder if they do this in michigan

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pay attention to what the other drivers are doing and have fun. Also, sit pretty close to the steering wheel and pedals, it will give you much better control.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just watched video. Nice, it was SunLife. When was that? How do you find out about them down here in South Florida?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Throw me a PM I can tell you all about it

·
Registered
116 Posts
This may be a REALLY dumb question, but don't you inflate the tires a bit? I always used about 70psi in my 325iS (Dinan chip and exhaust, Korman springs) and chalked the tire edges. If the chalk didn't rub off the sidewall a bit, then I'd bleed the pressure two lbs at a time. This was in the 1990s on a RWD car! (Ran C/Stock, but with car lowered 34mm, would NOT let another Bimmer park next to me!)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not a dumb question. stock tires and beginning drivers will generally inflate the tires a bit. 70 seems a bit much, usually 40- 45 is what i see. And some people also do chalk the outer part of the tire to see pow much roll they are getting. I run a different tire in my civic so i run a much lower pressure. I have taken the Fiesta out once on the stock tires(Which are the worst 140 tread wear tires i can think of) I thought these tires would have been ok but they are crap. Anyway i played with the front pressures a bit, but let the rears climb through the runs to try and get some rotation out of this thing. I think it will rotate better with some better front tires. A lot of the Fiesta guys out here are running a good tire up front and leaving the stockers on the rear to get some rotation.

·
Registered
152 Posts
70psi is way high. High 30s to low 40s up front for a fwd is about right. The jury is still out on rear pressures; I have been happy with high 40s in the rear. Some people have been running in the 20s to get rotation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rock on!
Have fun, don't judge or let your ego get in the way the first few times you go.
Try being smooth and then try being violent - see which style is best for you.
As we used to say in motorcycle roadracing - rubber side stays down, shiny side stays up :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Also, don't be afraid to ask for help understanding what's going on, or even to ask for a ride along. Almost everybody there is willing to help.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts