Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a White FiST with basically nothing extra on it. The only real "upgrade" I'm looking to do from Ford is the red brake calipers, minus the gray wheels. I found what I think are the parts online and my dealer said that if they installed them they would still be under warranty. Looking to see if people think these are the right parts I would need (I would assume I need 2 of each.) Thanks a ton!

2014 Ford Fiesta Front Disc Brake Caliper | FordParts.com
2014 Ford Fiesta Rear Disc Brake Caliper | FordParts.com

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Reactions: Sekred

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They would but I'm the kind of guy that can't color in the lines...so doing something like this is sort of out of my wheelhouse.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Reactions: Chai

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've used both G2 and DupliColor kits to "paint" calipers on other cars. Initially they turn out looking really good but to keep them that way, you will need to reapply about every 4-6 months. The ceramic paint tends to chip off and it looks like crap. I think the factory calipers are powder coated which is by far going to be MUCH more durable.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's worth $260 to buy the calipers and just swap them. The G2 and similar rattle cans are fine, but the issue really is prep and no matter what you do you'll never get as good a surface prep as what the Ford parts got. Besides, the rattle can paint can get on things.

Oh, and if you drive you car hard (like track day hard) the G2 and similar can change from nice red to poo brown.

·
Registered
923 Posts
It's worth $260 to buy the calipers and just swap them. The G2 and similar rattle cans are fine, but the issue really is prep and no matter what you do you'll never get as good a surface prep as what the Ford parts got. Besides, the rattle can paint can get on things.

Oh, and if you drive you car hard (like track day hard) the G2 and similar can change from nice red to poo brown.
I've never used the rattle can type caliper paint. All the DupliColor & G2 kits I have bought came with a can of paint that had a removable lid and a paint brush, brake cleaner and a wooden stirrer. Works fine as long as you 1. Take your time 2. Use at least 3-4 coats initially on each caliper and 3. Wait 24 hours for it to completely dry/harden. It's also better to do it when humidity is low and it is warm outside.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you disassemble the calipers you can have them power coated. But for the hassle you are probably better off buying new ones and selling the old.

Honestly I would not care. If you plan to do any spirited driving they will be covered with brake dust.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've never used the rattle can type caliper paint. All the DupliColor & G2 kits I have bought came with a can of paint that had a removable lid and a paint brush, brake cleaner and a wooden stirrer. Works fine as long as you 1. Take your time 2. Use at least 3-4 coats initially on each caliper and 3. Wait 24 hours for it to completely dry/harden. It's also better to do it when humidity is low and it is warm outside.
Sorry, I misspoke. I use "rattle can" as pretty much any paint that doesn't come from a paint gun. I'm sure the results are ok, but I've seen them turn nasty colors under very hard usage. And it's really hard to prep properly.

If you disassemble the calipers you can have them power coated. But for the hassle you are probably better off buying new ones and selling the old.

Honestly I would not care. If you plan to do any spirited driving they will be covered with brake dust.
A warning with powder coating; if you plan to track your car then don't do it. I talked to a powder coater about doing my Stoptechs on my last car but he warned that under track conditions the powder coating can get soft and brake dust sticks and gets embedded in the coating.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You could also take them somewhere to have them professionally painted for much cheaper

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts