Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting thing I read in the car and drive 10 best list, the ST's sway bar is actually thinner than the regular fiesta sway. I guess thicker isn't always better...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I guess thicker isn't always better...
Rare chance to make the joke that's NOT what she said :)

Other poster hit it right on. Less stiffness up front means less understeer. People are always to add super stiff bars when really it's a matter of tuning not just throwing the stiffest thing you can at it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just found it really surprising that when improving the handling of a car, I can't really think of another oem that when making an improvement made a change like that. Usually sways are a bandaid way to get less body roll.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes I agree like they built this car with the right idea from the start and hid a few bits from the bean counters ....
And also why I find it hard to think of any mods to add to it for AutoX. Even the exhaust, would be more for me being able to hear it's music, than for much else.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
True other than maybe lighter wheels .. on a side note glad to see you still around I had not seen ya fer a while :)
I'm starting to look at lighter wheels for track duty. I have my eye on 16" OZ Superturismo's. I was just disappointed with the tire selection in the 205/40/16 range. Really just RE-11's or Hoosier R6's. I guess the Toya RA1 but I haven't heard much good about those. I'd like to find a wheel that gives me the option to run an R888, AD048, RS-3, or NT01. But that's a little off topic here. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'm starting to look at lighter wheels for track duty. I have my eye on 16" OZ Superturismo's. I was just disappointed with the tire selection in the 205/40/16 range. Really just RE-11's or Hoosier R6's. I guess the Toya RA1 but I haven't heard much good about those. I'd like to find a wheel that gives me the option to run an R888, AD048, RS-3, or NT01. But that's a little off topic here. Sorry.
Not too far off topic as they are directly affected by the sway bars so you are good ;) lol

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
105 Posts
My dealer told me 16 rubbers are more expensive than the 15s and 17s since they are less commonly used. Similar situation in the US? I think I am way off...that's the problem of allowing us noobs to post :p

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
90% of the time the smaller the tire the cheaper the price.

As far as sway bars. I'll be on the road course tomorrow. I'll know then if I need to change the bars. Basically I change them to dial out over/under steer, that is it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
90% of the time the smaller the tire the cheaper the price.

As far as sway bars. I'll be on the road course tomorrow. I'll know then if I need to change the bars. Basically I change them to dial out over/under steer, that is it.
Please report back. Where in Maryland are you and what track you hitting?

As for the tires; I'm not sure I've seen a situation where larger is cheaper. However, selection is a deciding factor. Cheaper tires are great unless your only options are tires you don't want.

·
Registered
104 Posts
True other than maybe lighter wheels .. on a side note glad to see you still around I had not seen ya fer a while :)
Thanks for noticing. I'm still around. Long story, but that thief that broke into my car awhile back, stole more than just the radar detector! Stole my short lived enjoyment of it being a new, awesome car, as well as many arguments with various others to try and get my car back to being like it was before it happened. Frustration and nightmares.

As for swaybars, SCCA only allows the changing of the front bar in stock classes, which is where I want to be. And for once, I will have faith in those SVT engineers to have done a fantastic job. And I think they did. This is one of the most amazing, well designed cars right off the showroom floor. I think there might have been even more that could have been done, if not for bean counters and a price point to meet. But they still created an amazing car bone stock!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does anyone know if there is camber adjustment available in the front suspension?
There is a camber bolt kit. Little disappointed compared to the camber plates I ran on my M3. Hopefully someone else will offer an alternative. But that's all we have for now. I believe FSWERKS sells it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The anti-roll bars are a way to flatten the car during cornering without increasing the spring rates. A soft spring and a thick bar will ride soft in a straight line, but with a cornering force the spring rate will increase because of the bar.

Since Ford put much more aggressive spring rates on the FiST, the sway bars needn't be as large as the softer sprung non-ST Fiestas.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The anti-roll bars are a way to flatten the car during cornering without increasing the spring rates. A soft spring and a thick bar will ride soft in a straight line, but with a cornering force the spring rate will increase because of the bar.

Since Ford put much more aggressive spring rates on the FiST, the sway bars needn't be as large as the softer sprung non-ST Fiestas.
Keeping in mind stiffer isn't always better. Sometimes you want a less stiff front to say, dial out understeer. That does depend on geometry to some extent, but so many people go out and get a beefy sway bar and put it on full-stiff BecauseRacecar and they have no clue what they are doing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for noticing. I'm still around. Long story, but that thief that broke into my car awhile back, stole more than just the radar detector! Stole my short lived enjoyment of it being a new, awesome car, as well as many arguments with various others to try and get my car back to being like it was before it happened. Frustration and nightmares.

As for swaybars, SCCA only allows the changing of the front bar in stock classes, which is where I want to be. And for once, I will have faith in those SVT engineers to have done a fantastic job. And I think they did. This is one of the most amazing, well designed cars right off the showroom floor. I think there might have been even more that could have been done, if not for bean counters and a price point to meet. But they still created an amazing car bone stock!
New for 2013, front or rear swaybars may be modified. Pick only one though. Not both. I'm actually not sure if you can add one that isn't there though.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Keeping in mind stiffer isn't always better. Sometimes you want a less stiff front to say, dial out understeer. That does depend on geometry to some extent, but so many people go out and get a beefy sway bar and put it on full-stiff BecauseRacecar and they have no clue what they are doing.
Yes, but if you go too soft, the car is going to be sloppy in transitions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
'Nother story: buddy of mine flew for Mario Andretti for a summer (not overseas, just to USA tracks-Mario had a Piper Navajo and all the instruments you could buy!) Anyhow, apparently they have a driver adjustable front sway bar, and the lever had an "S" at either end of its longitudinal slot. Mario asked what was up with THAT? The Crew Chief said the front S was stiffer, and the rear S was softer. He THEN said to Mario: remember--it goes in stiff and comes out soft! True story!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts