Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new 2014 Racer Red FiST. Crawling under it, I noticed lots of pressed folded seams in the undercarriage with open spaces/cracks between some of them. There is no sound deadening undercoating on the undercarriage like my BMW M3 had. The FiST undercarriage is just painted. I'm going to be driving this on the super salty roads of upstate New York. A couple questions:
1.) Is undercarriage rust going to be a problem?
2.) If rust may be a problem, any proactive steps to take to nip it in the bud that actually may work?
FYI - my M3 was 15 years old and had no rust on the undercarriage
Thanks!

·
Registered
556 Posts
You could always add undercoating to suspected problem areas.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rusted through cars in Vermont can fail inspections. I heard people there are using a Schutz sprayer and coating their undercarriages with chainsaw chain oil. Pretty thick stuff. Cheap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's somewhat disconcerting.
I know tech with metals has come a long way but spaces and gaps like that always concern me.
Anybody remember Tuff-Kote Dynol and Rusty Jones?
I grew up in Vermont (still close in NH) and when you bought a new car in 80's you went from the dealer RIGHT there (rustproofer) and had the car rustproofed.
I remember all the holes they'd drill and plug with those rubber, well, plugs.
I'd be curious what people who know more than I do (that's a long list) say.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I remember Consumer Reports warning against having Rusty Jones type rust proofing done. They noted it was a waste of money, because water/salt would get under the "rust proofing" and actually cause more rusting to occur.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, I remember that controversy.
Back then, though, it still seemed better to have it than not; Certainly in Northern Vermont.
I remember in the late 1970's and early 1980's.... Hondas and Datsuns would literally disintegrate within a year!
I also remember when the car companies went with galvanized stuff, factory coatings, etc and started recommending against dealer/aftermarket rustproofing.
I remember when I used to see rust bubbles around the holes they drilled for access to rustproof and used to wonder whether it made sense or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts