Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

FiST vs MkVII GTI

10K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  FiSTofNoVA 
#1 ·
Guys,

I am in a dilemma and could use a bit of your help. I have had the chance to test drive a Fiesta ST, as well as MkVI GTI. My dilemma concerns my purchase of a Fiesta ST and a MKVII GTI.

My purchasing criteria:
-Fun to drive
-Reasonably priced(Lease or Finance, with payments under 390 with $0 down(5 years))

The Volkswagen dealer offered me a lease deal of $333 with 1,999 down with payments for 35 months, which accounts to $13,545 over three years($387 overall per month). Lease buyout would be around $14,000(based on a 55% residual value)
The Fiesta ST can be purchased/financed for 5 years with payments of $390/month.

My dilemma comes down to whether or not I would want to upgrade my vehicle after three years. If I do decide to upgrade after 3 years of owning the FiST, how much would I be able to get if I trade in the vehicle?

I like the grown up feel of the GTI, but I have not had the chance to drive a MKVIII yet. I have driven a MKVI Golf R which was fun, but felt a bit isolated from the driving experience. Let me know what you guys thought of the MKVIII GTI and the Fiesta ST after you drove it.

Please feel free to chime in and voice your opinion.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Fiesta is the more fun car. The GTI is the more grown up car. Both are great.

If you do decide to upgrade later, you'll have some equity in the Fiesta versus just having leased the GTI.

#3 · (Edited)
We test drove the MKVll GTI while shopping and waiting for our MKVll Golf R to get here and it is a very fun car and so very road trip worthy as it is a tad bigger (and heavier) than my FiST but so much more refined and quiet.. I would not swap it for the FIST but I would not be afraid to Buy one with PP in the future if my FiST turns into my track/sunshine only fun car as it seems to be heading atm.. Not sure what a Fist will be worth in that many years I see then already going for 18k So I am betting they won't be worth that after 2 more years . When is the MKVlll due out ??
Nice problem to have btw.. lol

#4 ·
The GTI is definitely a more refined car compared to the Fiesta ST, but considering most of driving experience has been in a Base Mini Cooper(2013), so the Fiesta ST seemed quite refined in comparison to that.

I am not sure what "PP" means.

I will most probably keep the Fiesta ST after the payments have been made, and get a rather impractical car 5 years down the road lol

#5 ·
MKVll GTI with PP is the Performance Package that give you 220 hp (a extra 10 hp) and a real LSD from the factory but they hard to find on the lot and a order out will take till Sept to get here as a 2016 model prolly..
The FiST will be a nice upgrade for you from your lady car then and it truly is a Blast to drive every day even in the snow with proper tires.
Hope this helps :)

#6 ·
I see, I did look into the SE Trim with PP but it was a bit pricey at around $30K+TTL. They are a bit harder to find as well, and I hoping to take delivery of my FiST by August.

P.S: I will be putting a deposit down this week on a Performance Blue ST with Recaros and a Sunroof

#8 ·
It came down to the FiST and GTI for me. After an extensive personal assessment, the FiST delivered more smiles per mile and per $$$. Although I really liked the GTI, I couldn't see paying the additional dinero for it....I made the RIGHT decision - I've had her for about 6 months now and still look forward to the drive.

#9 ·
German cars so far are the best on the planet...until you drive the engine and transmission built in the UK, assembled in Mexico, Ford Fiesta ST!!! Truly a world car imho...ha ha...FiST, buy it, or regret it until it's for sale in 2035 on Mecum for 135,000 USD...it's yours today for a mere 21,400 USD...don't be unsmart man!

#11 ·
I couldn't decide either. Just stock up on Ramen noodles and get both like me! :D The FiST is a little more fun to drive, but not THAT much. I hear it a lot about the difference in the fun factor between the two. I'm telling you, mine isn't just a test drive. I drive both weekly and they are both plenty fun. The major difference to me is the everyday drive ability. The day after I bought the GTI I took it on a 400 mile trip to the mountains and it was a blast AND comfortable. The FiST has never been more than 60-70 miles in one sitting and it takes a tole on me (with Recaros). BUT super fun and always worth it. The GTI is like my "Cadillac." Anyway, they both rock, period. You can't go wrong.

Reactions: dyn085 and rodmoe
#13 ·
I love the Recaros, but long-distance road-tripping in the FiST is brutal, mainly due to the suspension. It's over-sprung for that fun-factor in town and when combined with the short wheelbase it just sucks to be in for long periods of time at highway/interstate speeds. Any long-distance travel is an immediate decision to take the FoST, unless I feel like re-learning my lesson (which I have a coupe of times because thick-skull). Ymmv.

It's still more fun at legal speeds though.

#15 ·
i love the recaros, but long-distance road-tripping in the fist is brutal, mainly due to the suspension. It's over-sprung for that fun-factor in town and when combined with the short wheelbase it just sucks to be in for long periods of time at highway/interstate speeds. Any long-distance travel is an immediate decision to take the fost, unless i feel like re-learning my lesson (which i have a coupe of times because thick-skull). Ymmv.

It's still more fun at legal speeds though.
^^this ^^

#14 ·
I can't speak for the recaros, but I can say that after a trip from Dallas to Hot Springs this weekend, the car is as comfortable as any for a 4 hour drive each way. I can't think of any car I've been in that is particularly comfortable for 600 miles. It was super fun in the mountain pass on 7 in AR. Took the wife and two kids with me. No real complaints other than some slight displeasure from my wife at my spirited driving through the curvy sections. :)

Only burned two tanks of gas on the trip with some driving in town and 60 miles to spare at the end. That's pretty good in my book.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.