Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching the site but I want final clarification. I had a 95 lightning that all you had to do was advance the timing manually about 3-4 degrees and you picked up another 4-6 hp and a similar bump in torque. I am assuming there is nothing like this with this car but wanted to ask anyway.

It seems ford has made a few compromises for noise and cost but other than that, there's not much to gain by an intake on it's own or an exhaust on it's own.

My first engine mod will be the Cobb Access Port and filter. But other than that, it looks like a silicone hoses (to do away with the various baffles), and an intercooler are the easiest place to find the cheapest power. An make seems to make little difference. An exhaust makes little difference....

right?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have been searching the site but I want final clarification. I had a 95 lightning that all you had to do was advance the timing manually about 3-4 degrees and you picked up another 4-6 hp and a similar bump in torque. I am assuming there is nothing like this with this car but wanted to ask anyway.

It seems ford has made a few compromises for noise and cost but other than that, there's not much to gain by an intake on it's own or an exhaust on it's own.

My first engine mod will be the Cobb Access Port and filter. But other than that, it looks like a silicone hoses (to do away with the various baffles), and an intercooler are the easiest place to find the cheapest power. An make seems to make little difference. An exhaust makes little difference....

right?
The AP probably gets most of its power increase from more aggressive timing as there isn't an increase in boost

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
191 Posts
4-6hp on a supercharged V8 is hardly free horsepower worth commenting on. That engine would be plus or minus those numbers day to day simply due to ambient temps.

·
Registered
946 Posts
4-6hp on a supercharged V8 is hardly free horsepower worth commenting on. That engine would be plus or minus those numbers day to day simply due to ambient temps.
95 Lightning isn't supercharged, its an N/A 5.8. And on the old 5.0 and 351's there was "free" hp by bumping the distributor and removing the intake snorkel.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Actually, there kind of is.

if you open up the bottom of the OEM airbox and install a piece of PVC or something and some ducting like SEKRED has done - you have a performance intake for almost nothing good for +5 hp +8tq

search SEKTUNE INTAKE

My plan was to use a 2-3" holesaw, holesaw a neat hole in the bottom, use a 3" round duct and plumb it behind the foglight like SEKRED did coupled with a non-paper element air filter, if you're going to keep the stock airbox

but that's literally about it.

a cobb accessport is a great starting point. BBK hasn't developed anything for the fiesta yet since noone can get down to temecula to loan them a car for a week

Tighten all the clamps along the chargepipe on your car to be sure ¥ou aren't losing HP (use a 7mm, there's 10x clamps)

if you're feeling inventive, look at the intercooler chargepipes. look for the donut lookin thing clearly visible from below. cut out this donut for a good 10hp and replace it with a straight section of pipe.

so there you go. "FREE" HP.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

if you open up the bottom of the OEM airbox and install a piece of PVC or something and some ducting like SEKRED has done - you have a performance intake for almost nothing good for +5 hp +8tq

search SEKTUNE INTAKE

My plan was to use a 2-3" holesaw, holesaw a neat hole in the bottom, use a 3" round duct and plumb it behind the foglight like SEKRED did coupled with a non-paper element air filter, if you're going to keep the stock airbox

a cobb accessport is a great starting point. BBK hasn't developed anything for the fiesta yet since noone can get down to temecula to loan them a car for a week

Tighten all the clamps along the chargepipe on your car to be sure ¥ou aren't losing HP (use a 7mm, there's 10x clamps)

if you're feeling inventive, look at the intercooler chargepipes. look for the donut lookin thing clearly visible from below. cut out this donut for a good 10hp and replace it with a straight section of pipe.

that is what I was looking for. All hose clamps tightened to reduce the chance of lost boost. Got it. DIY plenum: saw that forum cat fight and decided I would make a plan to try it. That is very much like putting the diesel snorkel on my old 95 lightning: that was a $15 cold air intake. If you went to a supercharger on that truck, maybe you needed more flow. Big power for that model was in old school high flow heads, increased displacement, long tube headers, a big cam, full exhaust. For real power, all that and a centrifugal supercharger, new injectors and on and on.

But our little intake donut, or baffle or whatever it is; that's 10 or so hp? I have seen a thread about it somewhere and they compare it to the Veloster. I have seen a hose advertised for anywhere from 130-180 bucks that is supposed to do away with the baffle. Anyone do this and know if it actually works?

I know

·
Registered
946 Posts
That "intake" sounds like far too much work when you can spend $2XX and bolt a setup on that isn't jerry-rigged lol. And is that doughnut really good for 10hp by itself?? Whats the point of ot being there? Must serve some function no?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Visit the BBK website and complete the "test car" form.

they need the car for about a week - contact Ken Murphy. [email protected] to volunteer your car, they want to develop a TB, CAI, downpipe and other goodies for the FiST but need a test car.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sent Ken an email, fingers crossed. Would be very cool to help them get some parts on the market!

·
Registered
72 Posts
@Drifter
this is the doughnut. green circle

I saw it on the veloster forums. They apparently got 10hp increase after replacing it with a 2inch wide piece of pipe.
Im going to ask Amien from STO to bend a piece of pipe for me.

Mountunes charge pipe upgrade kit also has a pipe to replace the "doughnut"

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts

search SEKTUNE INTAKE

Blue Bomber, I dropped off my FiST at BBK this Sunday for them to take measurements for a week.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts