Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not sure if the that front splitter is enough to provide much downforce. It does look cool though.
It won't do squat except look good and scrape. A splitter that creates downforce needs to be STRONG. The splitters that you see on race cars you can literally stand on because they need to take that much force. These are just screwed in and are 100% aesthetic.

Reactions: OxWhiteFiST92

·
Registered
102 Posts
It won't do squat except look good and scrape. A splitter that creates downforce needs to be STRONG. The splitters that you see on race cars you can literally stand on because they need to take that much force. These are just screwed in and are 100% aesthetic.
Sadly, this is the truth.

Aero appendages on cars used at highway speeds (say, 80mph or below) are nothing more than jewelry.
People will claim otherwise, but you will note that mostly the people that claim otherwise are the people trying to sell the piece of aero equipment.
Yes, some CD (coefficient of drag) numbers can be slightly altered by the addition of a small lip spoiler to the rear or a blade type front "splitter", but those numbers are negligible, at best, particularly in regular street use where our average speeds end up being under 30mph where there is no aero loading whatsoever.

On a race track, in high speed corners or on long straights, a properly designed aero piece can help some, but it takes a skilled driver, using the car at the limits of its adhesion, to notice.

It's fashionable now to have a rear "diffuser". Hell, even the ST has what looks like a diffuser panel. In reality, it's nothing more than bumper warts. It's a styling exercise alone.

With all that said, I think that black piece shown above on the white car and the carbon fiber side skirt pieces I've seen on other STs look great. If everyone would just admit it's fashion and not a "mod", then everyone would be more honest about everything.

I saw on another Forum where some guy was saying he is desperate to get his rear diffuser for his car because he can tell a difference on the entrance ramp in the morning. He's delusional or a liar. Take your pick.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol i only wanted it for looks i thought it was obvious that there's no way to even get to the speeds needed for that. i like my 27 city mpg and i wanna keep it this way for now so my only focus would be aesthetic

·
Registered
102 Posts
lol i only wanted it for looks i thought it was obvious that there's no way to even get to the speeds needed for that. i like my 27 city mpg and i wanna keep it this way for now so my only focus would be aesthetic
Nothing wrong with aesthetics. Hell, one of the first things I thought of when buying this car was getting a front splitter.

I just hate when people have a false perception of what they are spending money on. I've had students at the track tell me they won't be pushing as hard on track because they have the trunk lid without the wing on their car. Nevermind the street tires, stock bushings, OEM shocks and complete lack of knowledge and experience, but they are only focusing on the fact that their mail order wing isn't yet installed on their FWD car.

Hmmm.

Stuff is all good, but when people lose sight of why they bought stuff, it gets a bit scary.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It should be noted that a splitter or spoiler will pretty much only ever negatively impact gas mileage. They work by inducing drag and/or stalling airflow. The idea (for race car applications) is that the added down force thru the turns makes up for the hit against top speed on the straights.

So any Cd impact would not be favorable.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It should be noted that a splitter or spoiler will pretty much only ever negatively impact gas mileage. They work by inducing drag and/or stalling airflow. The idea (for race car applications) is that the added down force thru the turns makes up for the hit against top speed on the straights.

So any Cd impact would not be favorable.
A full on race splitter yes. These stick on jobs will likely be negligible.

·
Registered
490 Posts
True what both of you said. If you want a real 100% functional splitter, TRC make them as well. Mine is purely to make the car look a bit more aggresive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I found an alumilite splitter by 2jracinc and want to get it as I am not trying to put any part on my car for the most part that does not improve performance

1 - 20 of 26 Posts