Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm coming from larger cars. I owned a Cadillac CTS, which I sold not long ago. Now I'm driving my 2005 Honda Accord V6, which I love. Just bought my wife a fairly new Hyundai SUV, so a new car for me is out of the question for now. Maybe I'll be able to put my hands on an ST next year. I'd like to add another car to my stall. I like small cars and I would use it for work, college, and mountain biking. I've been looking at the Chevy Spark, Hyundai Veloster, and some other, but I do like the look of the FiST.

My question is, how reliable are they? What are the known issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I cannot believe that nobody has replied to this. From what I have heard, they are a lot more reliable than a CTS. They are very simple cars since they are so small. I am a stickler on preventative maintenance. I can take any brand new car and keep it for years and I usually never have any issues. The only car I ever had any major issues with was a Saturn that was plagued with electrical problems that eventually had to go back as a lemon. No maintenance could prevent that. Did you eventually buy a Fiesta?

·
Registered
31 Posts
i posted my 1st year warranty experience in another forum, but the info is worth repeating here:

The bad:
Here is all the warranty work within the first 4 months, 5,000 miles of ownership:

• Blend mode actuator (there's a sticky), replaced
  • Timing cover oil leak, cover + gasket replaced
  • Side skirt adhesive coming undone, painted new side skirt and replaced - also made a return trip for the stone guard (clear film) to be reapplied!
Keep in mind, the car only had its 2nd oil change in all that time! All the repairs required the car to be in the dealer's possession for at least 2 days. Luckily, this dealer offers a free loaner car. Unlickly you have to drive around in not-your-car for what seems like forever. Also, the adhesive for the side skirt is still coming undone, so I'm predicting another 3 days i'll be without my car.

Current issues:

• on hot days the radio just cuts out. no power. i have to press the power button to get my tunes back.
  • 15,000 miles the rear pads had 6/32" (< 5mm) left, dealer recommended replacement at 3/32" (< 3mm)
  • 17,000 miles on the clutch and it definitely doesn't have the same "bite" as new. i thought the engagement was vague when i first bought it, now it's a guessing game.
Needless to say, the first year of ownership I felt like I was driving a ticking time bomb. Now its kind of calm...hopefully I didn't jinx myself.

Some tips:

• A service writer who also owns an ST as well can be helpful and will usually sympathize with your problem
  • Shop around, take advantage of the dealer network (you paid for it)
  • Extended warranty suddenly looking very good
  • Brake dust is your enemy, wash frequently. Unless its pretty caked on, no need for expensive brake cleaners--just use an old rag dedicated for brakes and some car wash soap. empty the bucket and wash the rag once you're done, don't use it on the paint.
  • Plan ahead, depending on availability of parts you car may be in the shop for a few days

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to give you guys an update:

My brother in law got a Fiesta ST and tuned it to get a little over 300 HP out of it. I tested it and that thing has pull!

I ended up buying a 2018 Mazda 3 Hatchback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to give you guys an update:

My brother in law got a Fiesta ST and tuned it to get a little over 300 HP out of it. I tested it and that thing has pull!

I ended up buying a 2018 Mazda 3 Hatchback.
300 HP in a Fiesta? "Pull" has to be so underrated. How does that car get any traction?! That was one of the biggest problems with the Neon SRT-4's. They had so much power and they would just roast the tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts