Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, anyone dropped their gearbox oil yet? I want to drop it after 5000kms to get rid of the metal filings out when the box has been run in. I do see a filler plug but it looks like it has an anti tampering bolt on it. More like a 5 star security type bolt.

Also will track the car once every 6 months too. I feel as it's an inexpensive excercise...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man... here in australia it's $45 bucks a litre... it takes 1.5L so its $90... :(

the filler and drain plugs look like an allen key type bolt. can confirm please?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Red Line MTL 75W80 GL-4 Gear Oil is only $15/quart and it is supposed to be awesome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Anyone who decides to DIY make sure you remove the FILLER PLUG FIRST. Then remove the drain plug. Just a little PSA :)
Second this. Factory plugs are tight as. But also it enables you to check if it actually is the filler hole and if ypu accidentally round off the filler plug. Cant really round off the Allen key bolt unless you are really noob. After taking off filler plug, poke your finger inside and see if oil is in there :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Did the change today with 3900 miles on car . Fluid was 30 a qt. bolts r tight. Made a small mess as fluid came out. Tried to use a shield but oil got on suspension arm . Oil was dark , as expected. Some small metal flakes in bottom of pan as expected. A magnetic plug would be nice. Ill get a mag plug and do it again at 15k. U will need to pump fluid back in. Fairly easy job .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just did mine as well. 4700kms on the odo. Need a 8mm Allen head type tool to loosen the bolts. Mine weren't on that tight actually was surprised how easy it was for it to untighten. Same as you Joe. Metal flakes seen and oil was dark compared to the new oil put in. I used a funnel with a bong pipe to put the oil back in. 1.5L. What came out was more than 1.5L. 1.6L maybe? That doesn't matter though. Shifting is damn smooth like butter now. Will do engine oil change soon. Won't touch the box for another 15,000 kms then 20,000 km every time. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just did mine as well. 4700kms on the odo. Need a 8mm Allen head type tool to loosen the bolts. Mine weren't on that tight actually was surprised how easy it was for it to untighten. Same as you Joe. Metal flakes seen and oil was dark compared to the new oil put in. I used a funnel with a bong pipe to put the oil back in. 1.5L. What came out was more than 1.5L. 1.6L maybe? That doesn't matter though. Shifting is damn smooth like butter now. Will do engine oil change soon. Won't touch the box for another 15,000 kms then 20,000 km every time. :)
Cheers for the tips. What trans oil did you end up using?

Tappin on the phone

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm curious because he's in Australia. I don't believe Motorcraft products are sold here.

Tappin on the phone

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey kenshinx84, did that oil come from a dealer? Does it meet spec for the B6 transmissions (WSS-M2C200-D2)?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
We have no sup manual... We have three books... One is the main manual, one is for ford sync, one is for the warranty and service manual. Its in the service manual. Just asked the guys at the service centre and they gave me that oil. Checked the part number and it was correct.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts