Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I installed a hardwire for my Valentine 1 radar and also a Gentex GENK40A mirror with homelink. I was tired of reaching into the console every time I enter/exit the garage so I bought the mirror. It's well worth the investment and simple to install.

1. Purchase mirror (Gentex GENK40A) on eBay or Amazon. I bought the one withOUT the compass since there's one already in MFT.

Rear-view mirror Automotive mirror Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Bumper Table Auto part Rear-view mirror Furniture

Link: Amazon.com: Gentex GENK40A Mirror with Auto-dimming and Homelink: Automotive

2. Purchase two fuse-taps. I bought mine at Advance Auto Parts locally but you can get on Amazon too. You will need 1 spare fuse PER fuse-tap, make sure it's at least 5 amps. There's an inline fuse on the Gentex wiring but you need two fuses in the fuse-tap for it to work.
Link: Amazon.com: Bussmann (BP/HHH-RP) ATM Mini Circuit Converter: Automotive

3. Pop off the a-pillar on the passenger side. There are two metal clips on the vertical part, just pull outward. If one of the tabs gets caught (like what happened to me), just coax it out using long nose/handle pliers to pinch the clip. Note: only pull outward until the clips are released.

4. There are two plastic tabs on the bottom that you need to carefully guide out so you don't scratch your dash. You'll figure it out when you're in there, the pillar is pliable to work with.

5. Once the a-pillar is out you can view through the tiny-window port that there's a passage-way to under the dash. I found the best way is to feed the wiring from the top because there are two bulky 5A fuses. They will fit, just don't brute force it.

Vehicle door Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part Vehicle audio Wire Technology Tire

6. Once you've gotten all 3 wires fed through the access hole you can get the mirror installed and then work on placing the wiring correctly. To get the stock mirror off you just need to wiggle it off by sliding it up. Try not to pull off of the window so you don't crack it, it requires a bit of effort but it slides right off.

7. On the Gentex mirror there's a screw on the mount that you need to make sure is unscrewed enough for it to slide on; it uses a T20 torx bit. Slide the mirror on and tighten the torx screw.

8. Plug the harness into the mirror and then work your way up into the headliner and across to the passenger side. I ran the Gentex harness wiring on top of the stock wiring on the a-pillar and zip-tied it in place. Feed any excess wiring down the port to the fuse box.

Automotive exterior Windshield Vehicle Vehicle door Roof rack

9. You can look at the V1 Hardwire post by @shmi here on FiestaST.org for instructions on removing the glove box. It's very simple, just push both sides inward to release the top. Pull at the bottom to release it completely.
Link: http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiest...diy-ford-fiesta-st-valentine-v1-detector.html

10. I'll let you figure out how you want to wire the fuse-taps onto the Gentex wiring as "different strokes for different folks." I cut the end off of the fuse-taps and the Gentex wiring and crimped on bullet-style connectors for mine in case I needed to remove them.

11. On the Gentex wiring you have a constant +12V source (yellow wire, homelink power), an ignition-switched +12V source (red wire, auto-dim power), and of course a ground. PLEASE double check the install manual that comes with yours to make sure it's the same color-code. I installed the yellow (constant) fuse tap into fuse F16 (electric side mirrors) and the red (switched) fuse tap into fuse F15 (windshield wipers). Look in the owner's manual on Page 173 for the diagram and Page 174 for the labeling.
Owner's manual: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/14fstom1e.pdf

(the top fuse tap is for my Valentine1 radar)
Technology Vehicle Auto part Electronic device Automotive window part Electrical wiring Cable management Wire Electronics Computer hardware

Side Note on Step 11: The auto-up feature on the driver's window stopped working when I pulled this fuse and replaced it with the tap. Don't freak out, you can reset it. To reset the auto-up, start the car first. Press and hold DOWN on the driver's window switch until it reaches the bottom. Release and hold DOWN again for 1-2 seconds, you should hear a click. Release and hold UP on the driver's window switch until the window raises completely. Release and hold UP again for 1-2 seconds, you should hear a click. Your auto up/down feature should be reset and working again.

12. Once you have the fuse-taps installed it's time to give the mirror a test. When the car is off you should be able to press any of the 3 Homelink buttons and see a flashing red light on the mirror indicating that you have Homelink power. If that's good, press the start button (you don't have to start the car, just accessories) and you should see a green light appear on the center of the mirror indicating that auto-dimming is functional. If you don't see a light, hit the "I" button to turn it on.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Rear-view mirror Windshield Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive mirror Auto part

13. Once the mirror is functional you can bundle up any loose wiring, zip-tie it together and out of the way so it doesn't interfere with the glove box. I set mine to the left of the fuse box. Install the glove box by clicking the bottom into place, pushing the sides in and push it into the dash to close.

14. Install the a-pillar by feeding the base in. I took precaution and held the closest tab to me with my left hand to guide it in to the slot so it didn't scratch my dash. You can guide in the rear tab. It takes a bit of wiggling and coaxing but the base should squeeze in to the right side of the dash and click in. Once the base is in you can pop the vertical part in with the two metal tabs.

You're done! Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fantastic write-up. Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Years ago i had a homelink mirror that rattled like mad and scares me away from them now. How is this one for rattling? I would love to do this eventually.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Years ago i had a homelink mirror that rattled like mad and scares me away from them now. How is this one for rattling? I would love to do this eventually.
What part was rattling? Was the housing rattling or was the mount on the windshield rattling? This one has a screw to tighten the mount against the windshield mount. No rattling thus far. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
What part was rattling? Was the housing rattling or was the mount on the windshield rattling? This one has a screw to tighten the mount against the windshield mount. No rattling thus far. :)
The buttons rattled in the mirror and i think something inside would rattle sometimes as well. The buttons were the annoying part.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I like the Home link feature, had this on my G37 Mirror, and it opened my garage (programming it was a PITA... only done once so it's not that bad),
my community gate, and turned on (2) lights in the house. Now I have (2) remotes clamped onto the passenger visor... pfft.

I can't stand the auto-dimmer feature on the rear view mirror (at least the one on the G37) The friggin' thing took forever to gradually dim, and never
dimmed enough to the take strain off my eyes. If cars are too far back, the mirror never dims, but the lights still bother my eyes... then there's
Pick-up trucks with their lights on during the day... I'm SO HAPPY I have that simple little switch back to dim my mirror when I want it to.
I'd be happier with a manual dimming switch attached to my middle finger.... heh heh.

Great install write up btw. I read through your instructions, and the install seems pretty easy when you describe it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is one feature I thought was practically a shoe in with new cars these days. I didn't even bother to ask/notice when I drove off the lot since I figured it's there, lol. I guess Ford doesn't think people who bought the ST have enough money to buy a house :-/ ?

Awesome write up btw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts