Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil on my new 2014 FiST at about 2200 miles, and installed a Gold Plug magnetic oil drain plug (model AP-08) I purchased on Amazon. I changed my oil again at 5,000 miles and found quite a bit of ferrous metal flakes attached to the magnet. Anybody else see this happening to their FiST's? Is this normal, or should it be taken to a Ford dealership?

·
Registered
587 Posts
What size is the plug? I haven't looked as I had the dealership change the oil.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sounds like your plug is doing its job. 5k is still around the breakin. I wouldn't worry about it.

If this is any indicator, I ran a vehicle health report last night and my car has about 4250 on the odo, and the report said I had 60% oil life left. This would indicate to me that they expect 10k oil changes.

For what it is worth, I have a Mishimoto magnetic plug on mine that I installed at the 1k change I did. I'm interested to see what it picked up too, but as long as there aren't any big-ass chunks of metal, you are fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not know the size of the plug, but it is a Gold Plug model AP-08. Gold Plugs have good reviews noting their magnets are very strong. Stainless steel. The company is Gold Plug LLC. Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Automotive Truck Motorcycle Industrial Engine
Gold Plug LLC
224 New Ventures Dr. #9
Bozeman, MT 59718
Phone and Fax - 1-888-578-3851

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I emailed my local Ford service department and this was their reply. It concurs with "sabrelime's" response.
"If there are no warning lites on , and no abnormal sounds coming from the engine we would consider this to be normal Unless there were large chunks. Since Ford does not install magnetic drain plugs we have nothing to compare to.
Please monitor this situation and see if it continues.

Thank you ."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts