Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am a Certified Ford Technician and recent FiST owner, and am here to help with all questions you guys have regarding info to the FiST. I am not an official rep, or anything, but I do work at a dealership, and have access to A LOT of information regarding the car, that only the people at ford have access to. Anything you want to ask a dealership salesman, tech, or other, you can probably ask me no problem! Questions include stuff covered under warranty, what you should expect in claims work, how long things should take to do...and what not.

Also, if anyone is around the Philadelphia area, pm me if you need work done, or need my help with something regarding your FiST or any other car you may have. I do plenty of side work.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey guys, I am a Certified Ford Technician and recent FiST owner, and am here to help with all questions you guys have regarding info to the FiST. I am not an official rep, or anything, but I do work at a dealership, and have access to A LOT of information regarding the car, that only the people at ford have access to. Anything you want to ask a dealership salesman, tech, or other, you can probably ask me no problem! Questions include stuff covered under warranty, what you should expect in claims work, how long things should take to do...and what not.

Also, if anyone is around the Philadelphia area, pm me if you need work done, or need my help with something regarding your FiST or any other car you may have. I do plenty of side work.
Hi V&M, I have a couple of questions about the 1.6 litre eco-boost engine. Are Ford using EGR on this engine, if so, how does it operate?. Are piston cooling jets used or another method to control crown temps?. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are Ford using EGR on this engine, if so, how does it operate?

Yes, Ford is currently using EGR on the 1.6L Ecoboost, however it is significantly different from previous versions. It is now controlled electronically through a stepper motor as compared to previous versions of the timeless vacuum control.

Here is how it operates:

The EEGR system receives signals from the engine coolant temperature (ECT) or cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor, throttle position (TP) sensor, mass airflow (MAF) sensor, crankshaft position (CKP) sensor, and the MAP sensor to provide information on engine operating conditions to the PCM. The engine must be warm, stable, and running at a moderate load and RPM before the EEGR system is activated. The PCM deactivates the EEGR during idle, extended wide open throttle (WOT), or whenever a concern is detected in an EEGR component or EGR required input.
2. The PCM calculates the desired amount of EGR for a given set of engine operating conditions.
3. The PCM in turn outputs signals to control the EEGR motor to move (advance or retract) a calibrated number of discrete steps. The electric stepper motor directly actuates the EEGR valve, independent of engine vacuum. The EEGR valve is commanded from 0 to 52 discrete steps to get the EGR valve from a fully closed to a fully open position. The position of the EGR valve determines the EGR flow.
4. A MAP sensor measures variations in manifold pressure as exhaust gas recirculation is introduced into the intake manifold. Variations in EGR being used correlate to the MAP signal (increasing EGR increases manifold pressure values).

If you need anything specified let me know.

Are piston cooling jets used or another method to control crown temps?. Thanks.
Yes, all GTDI (Gasoline Turbo Direct Injection) engines have oil squirters. The squirters squirt engine oil on the underside of the piston, aimed at the underside of the piston crown. This feature helps to control piston crown temperatures.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks for the comprehensive answer. Is unfortunate that most (all?) manufactures choose this method to lower emissions but understand why it is the preferred option. My concern is for the long term durability of the engine (past the warranty period). One other question re the EEGR, is the exhaust gas cooled before it enters the inlet manifold?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi V&M,
My question is I thought the FiST would come with a backup camera. The brochures talked about it but was never listed in the features. Anyways I know the titanium Fiesta is available with a backup camera as an option, how hard or easy would it be to install the equivalent camera as in the titanium? Is something the standard Ford dealer can do and install?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi V&M,
My question is I thought the FiST would come with a backup camera. The brochures talked about it but was never listed in the features. Anyways I know the titanium Fiesta is available with a backup camera as an option, how hard or easy would it be to install the equivalent camera as in the titanium? Is something the standard Ford dealer can do and install?
Well the issue here is that while the component itself (the camera and the trim that houses it) may snap right into the hatch of the FiST, the modules would not know what to do with the information it is receiving. The modules would lack the programming to operate the camera, and receive/send data over the communication network. Also, if the FiST does not come equipped with one from the factory, there will be no electrical connector, or areas where you can simply plug one in. So a Ford dealer would be unable to install one for any sort of fee, and have it work perfectly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's what I thought, not that I really need a backup camera on a car this small, but was more disappointed by Ford's misprints in their brochures and website.

I did read a post on another FiestaST forum where a guy gave the part numbers to the wiring harness/camera on a Titanium model but even he said he's not too sure if the factory display unit on a ST would even accept this camera. Wiring photos for factory backup camera | The Fiesta ST Network Forum

The only other thing I've seen is Coastal Electronic Technologies has this lockpick devices that enable backup cameras to be functional on My Ford Touch systems, however they don't have anything for the Fiesta model. https://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch.htm

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi, i was wondering why we didn't get the HID headlights in the US and also, is it in the cards for the future? What would the probability of plug and play HID's be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very informative stuff. Thank you for contributing.

I can't think of much off the top of my head, but I'll throw out a couple that I have pondered.

1. Can the rear wiper automated swipe (upon selection of reverse) be defeated?

2. Do all the factory Fiesta alloys fit over the ST front brakes?

3. Are the factory front brake pads available over the counter at dealerships yet? If so, do you have a price?

4. Is it possible that the lack of a rear view camera is specific to the fact that the ST only comes with a manual transmission? I think that in other (most) cars, the rear view cameras are activated by the gear selector sensors in the automatic transmission and, it's possible, that's the issue here. Is it only available in Fiesta Titanium with an automatic?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Why do these brake release so much brake dust? I washed my car sunday morning and by the end of the day my wheels were covered in a nice layer of brake dust.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
Why do these brake release so much brake dust? I washed my car sunday morning and by the end of the day my wheels were covered in a nice layer of brake dust.

They are brake pads with sporting intentions. You can get the brake pads that have little to no dust but they will not stop nearly as well. Get a track only brake pad and it will be even worse.

In order for your brakes to work better the compound needs to be softer. Softer means more bite, but also that they do not last as long so you get brake dust. It is a small price to pay. You can get protectants to make it A LOT easier to clean.

Check this out...
One Lap of America | AMMO NYC

·
Registered
85 Posts
The back up camera can be triggered by the voltage of the rear back up light on manual models. I don't know if it can be confirmed, but if the "titanium" model comes with a back up camera on a manual transmission, this would be the only trigger for the backup camera. Furthermore, I doubt that ford would use two different wiring harnesses for cars with and without back up cameras. I'm sure there is a plug for the OEM camera somewhere. If there is, the coding can be done through the dealer. It would be the same procedure as if someone would have to replace a back up camera on a "titanium" model for some reason.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Question about the flywheel. What is it made out of aluminum or steel and how much does it weigh?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do the plastic covers on top of the engine serve any functional purpose or are they purely aesthetic?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Do the plastic covers on top of the engine serve any functional purpose or are they purely aesthetic?
It is to cover the ugly hoses and rats nest hiding under there. If someone were to ever do a shaved and tucked engine bay on one of these cars, they would need to spend years having it done.

Reactions: V&M Motorsports

·
Registered
923 Posts
They are brake pads with sporting intentions. You can get the brake pads that have little to no dust but they will not stop nearly as well. Get a track only brake pad and it will be even worse.

In order for your brakes to work better the compound needs to be softer. Softer means more bite, but also that they do not last as long so you get brake dust. It is a small price to pay. You can get protectants to make it A LOT easier to clean.

Check this out...
One Lap of America | AMMO NYC
I'll add too that when your car is new you will also see more brake dust as the pads embed... some of that may go away as you put more miles on your car.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
1 - 20 of 152 Posts