Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
HPS is a fantastic street pad, I might have to pick some up. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: these all say "for models with rear drum brakes" :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HPS is a fantastic street pad, I might have to pick some up. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: these all say "for models with rear drum brakes" :(
I saw that as well. I've looked at the parts diagrams of the difference between the base Fiesta and the ST, and the front brakes look exactly the same. The part numbers are different by like 1 number and that could just be because I've got the painted calipers.

·
Registered
678 Posts
That might make sense... eager to see if they work, hopefully they do.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got an email into TireRack to see if they've actually confirmed fitment of these pads on the ST.

Reactions: rodmoe

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
False alarm, I made them aware of an issue in the system. There is currently no Hawk brake pads available. I've got another email into Tire Rack to see if they can get a date for when they will be available.

Reactions: stuntdoogie

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well that's a bummer. I was hoping to try the HP+ pads later this summer for a shakedown track day. I'm sure pads will pop out of Hawk. Sounds like Carbotech is wanting to develop pads, based on the inquiry in this thread: http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta-st-brakes/981-carbotech-looking-used-st-pads.html

I had great luck with with my Powerworks'd SVT Focus using XP10s in front and XP8s in the back. I'm sure they'll be available by next year.

Detour: Ah. The acrid aroma of streaming hot Carbotech pads and Motul RBF600. Smells like track day. I switched to Castrol SRF when I was running lots of track days (lasted all season, like 8+ events), but OMG that stuff is expensive. For 2 or 3 events, RBF600 is going to work great I think.

But back to brake pads: Keeping my eye on these threads.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that's a bummer. I was hoping to try the HP+ pads later this summer for a shakedown track day. I'm sure pads will pop out of Hawk. Sounds like Carbotech is wanting to develop pads, based on the inquiry in this thread: http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta-st-brakes/981-carbotech-looking-used-st-pads.html

I had great luck with with my Powerworks'd SVT Focus using XP10s in front and XP8s in the back. I'm sure they'll be available by next year.

Detour: Ah. The acrid aroma of streaming hot Carbotech pads and Motul RBF600. Smells like track day. I switched to Castrol SRF when I was running lots of track days (lasted all season, like 8+ events), but OMG that stuff is expensive. For 2 or 3 events, RBF600 is going to work great I think.

But back to brake pads: Keeping my eye on these threads.
I'm sure we'll have pads by summer, with the Fiesta ST winning all these awards and stuff, they gotta be making pads, hah.

What was the curb weight of your SVT Focus? I'm kinda thinking XP10 might be overkill with this car, you may even be able to get away with the AX6... possibly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm sure we'll have pads by summer, with the Fiesta ST winning all these awards and stuff, they gotta be making pads, hah.

What was the curb weight of your SVT Focus? I'm kinda thinking XP10 might be overkill with this car, you may even be able to get away with the AX6... possibly.
There was a long-time focaljet.com guy that did a comparison of the SVT Focus and Fiesta ST. He listed these comparative stock weights:

* SVT Focus (not sure if that is 4-door or 2-door): 2750
* Fiesta ST: 2742

Can't get much closer than that.

My SVT Focus had a 6-point cage and was partially gutted (stock seats removed). I reckon the cage added close to 100 lbs (not the ultralight tubing) with the X-bar at the door, etc. minus maybe 60 lbs for the stock interior. Add racing seats back in, take out the airbags and stock wheel, and it gets to be a wash. I figure when it was all done, something around 2800 lbs is about the number.

But the main weight thing is the driver, unless you are Danica Patrick-sized. I'm not giant, but still have a significant weight effect.

I might try XP8s in the front and AX6s in back (assuming they become available)...or stock pads in back. With these FWD cars, it's all about what the front brakes can take. The SVT brakes did amazingly well with XP10 (I think I also used XP8s, which were fine as well). Very progressive (although the initial bite was sometimes not what you'd expect) and practically no fade over the course of typical 20-30 minute session. Legit brake fluid makes a huge difference. I also had Goodridge braided teflon brake lines, which worked great for the 8 years I tracked he car. Having said that, I also had Porsche cooling fins installed which made a big difference. I plan to do that with the Fiesta ST. I was surprised to see that the Fiesta brakes were smaller than the SVT brakes. That's a little bit of a worry, but I think better pads, a cooling strategy, and proper fluids should do the trick for recreational lapping.

You can find the original comparison here: Fiesta ST / SVT Focus comparison on Focaljet.com

·
Registered
556 Posts
The HPS would be a good match for these cars. The HP+ may be a bit of overkill for most usage.
Actually, I'd wager the HP+ would be comparable to the OE pad and the HPS would be less aggressive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts