Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous car was a E46 323i so there is a bit of a difference in the vehicles from my old BMW to the FiST. Particularly in road noise and general NVH which is much higher in the Fiesta as can be expected. I do have a noise that I think might be a bit excessive. Effectively its a very high pitch whine that only seems to happen at low RPMs in high gears. Think 45mph in 6th gear. If I let completely off the gas it goes away but even the slightest touch on the throttle and its back. This noise may extend into higher RPMS but the engine noise quickly drowns it out. Just curious if anyone else has this or if its just normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
throwout bearing... ?
Unlikely since the noise stops with a change in throttle and it's while the clutch is engaged...unless you keep your foot on the clutch all of the time (which is BAD!)

Does the pitch change with an increase of speed?

Does it happen in 4th and 5th gear also?

5th and 6th gears are both overdrive gears, which do have a tendency to whine but is typically very isolated by modern engine mounts. My RX7, for example, is mounted via aluminum mounts to the chassis and you can hear every single thing the transmission does (and it only whines in overdrive).

On a new car with soft mounts you shouldn't be able to hear that whine, though.

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
My previous car was a E46 323i so there is a bit of a difference in the vehicles from my old BMW to the FiST. Particularly in road noise and general NVH which is much higher in the Fiesta as can be expected. I do have a noise that I think might be a bit excessive. Effectively its a very high pitch whine that only seems to happen at low RPMs in high gears. Think 45mph in 6th gear. If I let completely off the gas it goes away but even the slightest touch on the throttle and its back. This noise may extend into higher RPMS but the engine noise quickly drowns it out. Just curious if anyone else has this or if its just normal.
Well seeing as it is a new car and it has a warranty that you are paying for...go to the dealer. No one is going to be 100% sure on here because they aren't driving/in the car. The dealer will let you know what it is and they will have you sorted out in no time.

Do let us know what it is though. And if it is something broken/damaged please start a new thread in ST Maintenance so that we can help other people who may be suffering from similar issues.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Only weird noise mine has is where it sounds like I have something bobbling in the trunk...even though it's completely empty :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Video I took on the way home today. It should be up in about 30 minutes if its not already finished uploading/processing.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Perhaps it is the way that the gears are cut? My STI had super loud gear whine in 1st and 2nd but it was totally normal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I originally thought it might be the gears but it doesn't change in tone or volume when I change gears and it sounds like it's behind me. I think it may be a rear wheel bearing. So that when I'm on the throttle it has the weight shifted backwards a bit and when I let of some of the weight goes forward causing the noise to lower in volume.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's gear whine; differential or output shaft bearing whine specifically. It's road-speed dependent, not engine-speed dependent... Mine whines a little, but not as loud. I'm not worried about it. I'll change the oil at some point and see if it helps. By the way, the manual says to use the dual-clutch trans-type oil.. is that correct or a typo meant for the regular Fiesta?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Definately sounds like a wheel bearing...sounds like what my 98 honda accord when wheel bearing went bad.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine sounds like this as well to a degree, though mine is definitely less chattery. Did you ever find out what was causing it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have not. I need to take the car in to have a tech look at it. I'm at just about 3k miles and while it hasn't gotten any worse its still there.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts