Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not get me wrong I love having a powerful motor but I really want to concentrate on the rest of the car. I would love to focus on some minor things that would make it handle even better than it does out of the box. Perhaps a polyurethane bushing here or there, or different anti say bars (no not bigger wheels). I am very surprised that more people are not looking into this. I would love more talk and testing regarding handling modifications. A slightly larger rear anti sway bar transformed the way my Mini cooper handled (2004 Cooper S) as well as the polyurethane motor/gearbox bushings.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I bought this to auto-x, so you are not alone in the handling world. I'm planning on driving the car "as is" for a little while to see what/where the car needs to be looked at for my driving. I think to add parts prematurely can make the car worse instead of better.

first round
sticky brakes
lightweight wheels (-1, -2 sized wheels)
sticky tires
short throw shifter

possible second round
trans mount
engine mounts
multiple bushings
sways
anti-lift kit (is it made for FWD cars?)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just fitted an uprated Gearbox mount, and just the way the car piuts the power down, you can feel a differnce.

View attachment 886
Is that mount a local product? How is the vibes / noise from that?

Tappin on the phone

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just fitted an uprated Gearbox mount, and just the way the car piuts the power down, you can feel a differnce.

View attachment 886
Came in here to post about a motor mount and glad someone got to it already. Better motor mounts/Tranny Mounts help get power to the ground better. Is this made specifically for both US and EURO St's?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
It the OEM mount that we just remove the silly Ford rubber and filled it with a special Polly eurothane (not exactly sure what they used, but can find out). It takes about 12 hours to cure. We have done about 200+ different types of mounts, from VW, Audis to Fiesta MK 6 anfd Focus MK 2 and 3.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do you notice any more cabin rattles and extra engine noise in the cabin with this?

Tappin on the phone

·
Registered
490 Posts
@MoFist, no extra vibratiosn, not that harsh a compound.

@GreenFister, they should be the same, no more wheel hop in 1st brother. The cheapest and best mod you can do.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think the car handles pretty well out of the box, but I am much more interested in handling mods than I am power mods. The car really have plenty of power as is.

Uprated mounts would be nice as would stiffer bushings. I am not sure on sway bars yet as I haven't had the car out on the track and just throwing stiffer sway bars on isn't necessarily an improvement in handling.

The other things I'd really like to see are camber plates and track brake pad options.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K757 " I think to add parts prematurely can make the car worse instead of better. "

You are right, many add parts and often the car is worse off for it. testing is very important. I wonder what changing out the stock sway bar bushings (for somthing less compliant) would do to the feel of the car. I do not plan on doing anything untill i have more seat time in this car and see what others do who race it. If this car is competitive auto-Xing we will know in fast order what the hot set up is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I remember reading on puma speeds website that they used eibach springs and sway bars and had a amazing outcome. It was a 900$ kit but hey if it works it works. Lemme try to find the link!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I question when retailers have "amazing results" by just adding springs and sways. How did they measure these results? 90% of the time when adding just springs or sways you in fact make handling worse. Sure the car may feel flatter, but it''ll be slower around a setup course. They say amazing results hoping to sell you a product.

Reactions: aar0nsky

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Focusedintentions I agree completely, I think we are going to find out more when this car starts to autoX more.
And for Christ sake stop teasing that rabbit already and give him that beer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's true. I didn't think about that. Unless they actually messed with camber and such when they used the kit. I have to stop believing everything I read on the internet haha

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's true. I didn't think about that. Unless they actually messed with camber and such when they used the kit. I have to stop believing everything I read on the internet haha
Yeah, you need to be careful. And I'd also argue that most everyone on here probably can't exploit the suspension to its fullest in stock configuration.

The only thing I think this car really needs to be a great little track machine is more negative camber and that's a $50 (or less) fix.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The FiST is pretty seriously tuned for handling right out of the box. It has unique steering knuckles and the rear beam is something like 75% stiffer than a stock Fiesta. Throw in matched lowering springs and dampers, a thicker front sway bar, 3 mode traction control, 4 wheel discs with aggressive pads and according to all the magazines you're set. I'd bet almost any modifications will actually degrade performance.
Depending on how serious the wheel hop is I'd definitely consider one of the mounts posted above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts