Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you wouldn't change out the OE "summer" tires? In cold weather that is. The Goodyear guy at the EcoBoost Challenge indicated that such a thing wouldn't be necessary in North Carolina. Thoughts? Opinions (infomred or otherwise)? Professional advice? :cool:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
How Cold will it get for a extended period of time .. I found my stock Bridgestones got rock had and slickery (read the back end slid out real easy) when the temp got near 35 Deg F and felt like they were flat spotted after they sat for anytime in the cold till I ran them for about a mile or two to get some heat in them then they rode normal again.. IF you never see the south side of 40 DegF for more than a few days I wouldn't be too worried about it .. But if you see cold snow and ice.. take a different car that day or get a set of good all seasons or winter sport tires. Just to be safe..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Reactions: laebshade

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. We get sub-freezing morning temps for a big piece of the winter months. Wouldn't do to find the weeds on the way to work...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Besides the possible damage to your FiST from unintended spontaneous rally driving, your tires will suffer. The rubber of soft compound "summer only" tires will crack when stressed in temperatures below 40°F. It is quite common for soft motorcycle tires to crack pretty quickly during a quick spin in during the nippy days.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Besides the possible damage to your FiST from unintended spontaneous rally driving, your tires will suffer. The rubber of soft compound "summer only" tires will crack when stressed in temperatures below 40°F. It is quite common for soft motorcycle tires to crack pretty quickly during a quick spin in during the nippy days.
"Cold tearing." Never thought of that aspect, just the drop off in traction.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm in Northern Tennessee, don't plan on swapping the summers. I've driven enough Pennsylvania winters on Kumho XS's and Direzza Z1's to just not care anymore.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I live in North Texas. It gets pretty cold here at times believe it or not. It does sleet. snow and ice here a few times a year. I just don't/won't drive on those days. lol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm in North Florida and will never see winter tires on my car. However, in the summer time I'll be peeling myself off the leather Recaros...

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'm in North Florida and will never see winter tires on my car. However, in the summer time I'll be peeling myself off the leather Recaros...
So what are you saying? You'd like some air cooled seats? hehehe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Work in Maryland. I will be using the stock tires this winter and grippier rubber for spring.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Before you wouldn't change out the OE "summer" tires? In cold weather that is. The Goodyear guy at the EcoBoost Challenge indicated that such a thing wouldn't be necessary in North Carolina. Thoughts? Opinions (infomred or otherwise)? Professional advice? :cool:
I'm in NC and found the limits of the tires already. I have another topic on this forum about driving in cold wet conditions and with the spare tire on. This is not a great combo, as I was able to get the rear end to step out on me in normal driving. I still don't have any intentions of buying winter tires, but I was surprised that the suspension was tuned to be that on-edge. If you are in cold weather, just expect reduced performance. If you are in icy weather, which we seem to get every third year or so, expect a handful.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I live in North Texas. It gets pretty cold here at times believe it or not. It does sleet. snow and ice here a few times a year. I just don't/won't drive on those days. lol.
A week after I posted this, we get the worst ice storm in recent history. lol. I jinxed myself me thinks!

Reactions: focusedintntions
1 - 13 of 13 Posts