Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When getting on it I lift off the gas completely when shifting like every other car I've owned, but it seems like it hits a brick wall for a split second when I get back on the gas. Should I leave the throttle open a bit? I shift pretty fast so can't imagine the turbo slows down much and loses boost, but is it the waste gate not reacting fast enough back to full boost? Will tuning fix this or do I have to learn a new driving technique?

I noticed in the crash vid it seems like he was keeping the revs pretty high between shifts.

· Registered
71 Posts
It's all about smoother transitions. It's not about smashing the shifter into gear at light speed and slamming your feet on pedals, you gotta finesse it a bit. It's hard to be fast and smooth, especially with adrenaline going, but it can be done.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Could always FFS if its an issue

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,234 Posts
If it had the factory tune it will have Rev hang or as ford calls it "shift assist"
There is a table to set it for what you want it to be in the COBB ATR software.

· Registered
78 Posts
I just shift it like I would any other car. I have not noticed any turbo lag, which is what it sounds like you're experiencing. I don't know if it's a problem with how you're driving it or a mechanical problem. Some of the older turbocharged engines (circa 1980s) had very noticeable lag. My engine doesn't feel that way at all. It acts more like a much larger NA engine, especially the torque.

You may want to have it checked out to rule out a mechanical problem. These engines are not known for turbo lag.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been driving manuals my whole life, and a 5 sp Focus since 2005 but this seems a bit odd. It's not a rev matching thing, I got that down. It's just there is a very slight lag in power no matter how fast I shift that seems related to lifting. I don't think that's what you call turbo lag as it's already at WOT just a very quick lift between shifts. Maybe it's just me? I'll get a chance to see what up on Monday at the ST octane academy.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
I've been driving manuals my whole life, and a 5 sp Focus since 2005 but this seems a bit odd. It's not a rev matching thing, I got that down. It's just there is a very slight lag in power no matter how fast I shift that seems related to lifting. I don't think that's what you call turbo lag as it's already at WOT just a very quick lift between shifts. Maybe it's just me? I'll get a chance to see what up on Monday at the ST octane academy.
When going WOT on stock tune, I definitely noticed this. The AP and catless downpipe helped me though

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

· Registered
63 Posts
If it had the factory tune it will have Rev hang or as ford calls it "shift assist".
I hadn't heard this. What does shift assist do anyway? Does it prevent over-revving so you can full throttle shift (like on the newer Camaro's/Stingrays)?

You may want to have it checked out to rule out a mechanical problem. These engines are not known for turbo lag.
You're right they don't have much lag, but I experienced the same thing when I test drove a FiST. When I shifted fast into 2nd the car had no power for ~.5 seconds and then came back on (traction control was turned off). I haven't really gotten into my FiST very much yet to know if its common.

· Registered
301 Posts
I hadn't heard this. What does shift assist do anyway? Does it prevent over-revving so you can full throttle shift (like on the newer Camaro's/Stingrays)?
My guess is that "shift assist" holds the revs for longer for people who shift slow. It makes it so you aren't dragging the engine RPMs up from below the shift point when you shift slow. The strange thing is, I bet most people who drive this car shift much faster than your average driver.

· Registered
556 Posts
This might not sound like a solution...but I just installed the Cobb rear motor mount, and the "lag" as you are describing it, has all but gone...especially the 1-2 shift.

It's crazy how much the engine is allowed to move with the stock mounts.

· Registered
2,234 Posts
My guess is that "shift assist" holds the revs for longer for people who shift slow. It makes it so you aren't dragging the engine RPMs up from below the shift point when you shift slow. The strange thing is, I bet most people who drive this car shift much faster than your average driver.
Pretty much it in a nut shell :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.