Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

One thing I've noticed, on nearly all modern turbo cars, is that they are tuned, and running optimally at 75F with regular fuel (87oct).
Lower or higher than 75F, and performance drops somewhat (usually lower than 65F, and higher than 85F).

I live in a hot climate, where 3/4th of the year, the temp is above 85F, and 1/4th of the year above 95F (and 1/10th of the year, above 100F).
And, I'm cheap and want to keep using regular fuel (87 octane).

My first question would be:
If the temperature is above 85F (especially above 95F), I notice some performance loss.
Is this the engine pulling timing?

And second:
If I would install a larger, more efficient intercooler,
I can imagine that at 75F outside temps it won't make a big difference with the small turbo,
But at 95F outside temps, I can imagine the efficiency of the intercooler to be lower (a smaller Delta T, resulting in much hotter air coming into the engine).

Purely for example,
If the stock intercooler cooled the intake air down to 85F with 75F outside temps, at 95F, the intake air would probably be closer to 115F than 105F.
If I'd install a more efficient intercooler, it could possibly take that temp closer to 105F, which is much better for 87 octane gasoline; plus, not sure if higher flow intercoolers do anything to the engine air intake in terms of increasing performance?

Just thinking if this is a feasible theory, just because I can buy an intercooler for $350, that is hot swappable with the stock unit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A bigger intercooler will shed more heat, so you won't lose as much performance when it's hot, but it doesn't really add any power. If I lived in an area where I noticed a lot of power loss on hot days, I'd get one.

Or, just run premium when it's hot out. That's good for more power, too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts