Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well today I received my intake and decided to throw it on. Found some positives and negatives with this intake and going to do an honest no BS review. First off, the kit is constructed pretty nicely, didn't come with a filter hydro-cover like I thought it did but that's not a big deal. Installation was pretty straight forward, biggest pain removing the stock system was the 7mm coupler down by the turbo. Installing the new intake I ran into some things that kind of turned me off a bit (tough being a perfectionist lol). First thing I noticed, once you snake the piping in place, you leave it loose to mock all your connections up etc before tightening on the turbo side and to the supplied heat shield. Got it in place and went to install the vacuum hose back onto the intake, and it wouldn't slip over the CAI "nipple". Seems either the OD of it is too large or there is too much of the wrinkle coating. So I sanded that down some, and even after that and a little white lithium grease I was still torquing the shit out of it to seat all the way back, and I'm not a small guy by any means lol. After that little 10 min debacle came the valve cover breather tube, same deal although not nearly as bad. I ended up removing it from the valve cover side to be able to wiggle it a bit more to seat, these should be plug and play nice and easy as the factory ones were imo. Final connection was the MAF, and for the wiring not to be stretched to its limit the intake needed to be pushed down a bit below its "resting position" to get it connected.

After that you then sinch up the new 8mm coupler on the turbo side, which was actually easier than the stock one, a plus! Then do the same to the bolt on the head that'll secure the intake itself. Knowing what I do now, if I were to buy again I'd try the FSWerks kit, as I feel the Injen kit may have been pumped out a little quick.. the connection points not simply connecting really doesn't sit well with me.

Driving, to say it's more audible is an understatement! Thing is loud, almost all the time lol. Power wise, tough to tell during the quick ride but it may be a bit peppier. Anyways, a bit long-winded, but wanted y'all to have some feedback from someone not making a profit off promoting these lol.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and naturally IAT's were a bit higher, although nothing crazy. Not too worried about it as long as the intercooler does it's job!

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Nice, Where'd you go through for the Intake?

It's a little bit of a pain on that nipple up close, but I didn't run into the same harness issue - I just created more slack in the lines.

It's definitely louder than OEM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good review from a fellow perfectionist lol. Depending on how the Cobb looks I'll be going with this one myself. Nice to know of potential hiccups beforehand though.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice, Where'd you go through for the Intake?

It's a little bit of a pain on that nipple up close, but I didn't run into the same harness issue - I just created more slack in the lines.

It's definitely louder than OEM.
I went through horsepowerdirect for it.
Good review from a fellow perfectionist lol. Depending on how the Cobb looks I'll be going with this one myself. Nice to know of potential hiccups beforehand though.
Thanks man, yeah I may eventually swap out to the COBB intake depending on a few things!

·
Registered
54 Posts
getting to install mine this weekend. Any tips or tricks I should know before getting started? I'm a beginner with modding cars so just wanna make sure I do things right.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Expect to lose a little skin getting the clamps off the turbo, and when installing the supplied heat shield. The bolt and nut furthest towards the driver side is tough if you don't have tiny arms, but stuff your arm underneath the shield with the washer and nut to locate the bolt. You'll need a small open end wrench to tighten it under there. Other than that it's pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Expect to lose a little skin getting the clamps off the turbo, and when installing the supplied heat shield. The bolt and nut furthest towards the driver side is tough if you don't have tiny arms, but stuff your arm underneath the shield with the washer and nut to locate the bolt. You'll need a small open end wrench to tighten it under there. Other than that it's pretty straightforward.
Awesome good to know thanks man. Trying to soak in as much info as possible before hand lol. Such a noob, I'm actually nervous about installing an intake haha

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just take your time and read the directions, it's one of the trickier intakes I've installed, but that's not to say it's difficult!

·
Registered
411 Posts
getting to install mine this weekend. Any tips or tricks I should know before getting started? I'm a beginner with modding cars so just wanna make sure I do things right.
This has nothing to do with the Injen intake but I have had my OEM intake off several times. Last time I drop my 1/4 inch 7mm socket and ratchet when I was tightening the clamp on the turbo elbow. It fell down into the suspension and I could not see where it was to retrieve it. I ended up jacking the car up to find it, wasn't happy!!, lol.
Good review by the way.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This has nothing to do with the Injen intake but I have had my OEM intake off several times. Last time I drop my 1/4 inch 7mm socket and ratchet when I was tightening the clamp on the turbo elbow. It fell down into the suspension and I could not see where it was to retrieve it. I ended up jacking the car up to find it, wasn't happy!!, lol.
Good review by the way.
That sucks man, been there before! Lol. After a few times of doing that Iinvested in a set of "locking" detent-ball wrenches that you have to really try to disengage.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am tempted as the price has dropped to buy this. i don't want misfit pieces as i am a perfectionist with parts..... I may wait.

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Anyone care to comment about the fitting? Have all of you had issues getting certain pieces on, or just a few?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts