Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this to be an interesting video. It's at least thought provoking if nothing else...

·
Registered
923 Posts
A SURE SRI intake made a HUGE difference on my MS3. About 18hp @ the wheels... without a tune. It probably depends on the engine and how the stock box is designed. Despite what people say, I can see where multiple improvements could be made in the stock intake system of the FiST. Some vehicles also would need a tune before seeing gains with an intake, but power can be found. I find it a bit disturbing that FSWERKs released their intake and have been selling it, but they don't even claim any kind of power gain at all (according to their website). Maybe it just sounds good.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
A SURE SRI intake made a HUGE difference on my MS3. About 18hp @ the wheels... without a tune. It probably depends on the engine and how the stock box is designed. Despite what people say, I can see where multiple improvements could be made in the stock intake system of the FiST. Some vehicles also would need a tune before seeing gains with an intake, but power can be found. I find it a bit disturbing that FSWERKs released their intake and have been selling it, but they don't even claim any kind of power gain at all (according to their website). Maybe it just sounds good.
Dynos from the MS3? That sounds a little fishy.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Dynos from the MS3? That sounds a little fishy.
There are plenty of dyno runs of tuned MS3s with intake and race pipes making 45+ hp. Just do a search of the three biggest MS3 forums. Cobb has dyno runs with their intake on their site as well. Some people were netting 20-25hp just from an intake. I consistently netted 18hp+The big caveat with that car was that most mods past intake (like an SRI) made in necessary to change out the fuel pump.

Reactions: Colin1337

·
Registered
946 Posts
Intakes on certain cars make alot more power. On my '12 5.0 I picked up quite a bit from the JLT I put on there.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am not spending 300$$ without first seeing what every company has to offer. Then I will get one. Meanwhile I am thinking of getting an k&n universal air filter you know the opened type and remove the whole air box. I am looking for that Bov sound. Not any performance gains ATM. Saving some money for the Cobb ap

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
340 Posts
cai's are a scam unless u move the whole unit somewhere besides where the engine is. the worst ones are just some oil soaked filter open to the engine, it gets hot in there. The video just proved that, and it was a good video, same car same dyno same driver same fan same temps.

·
Registered
946 Posts
cai's are a scam unless u move the whole unit somewhere besides where the engine is. the worst ones are just some oil soaked filter open to the engine, it gets hot in there. The video just proved that, and it was a good video, same car same dyno same driver same fan same temps.
A scam? Lol. I've been running filters IN the engine bay in all the mustangs I've owned and they've always run better in there than in the fenderwell collecting dust. Hell I went from trapping 112 to 118 with the addition of the JLT intake which resided inside the engine bay with a shield. Look at almost any built car making power and the filter is typically in the engine bay. One thing I've noticed on this board is an abundance of ricer-logic..

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
To be clear, I think "cold air intakes" on a turbo car are a waste of time. Your not putting an intake on to get colder air, your putting am intake on to get more air, smoother pipng all to increase how much air your car can flow.

If anything, a short ram is better on a turbo car, less time for the air to get from point A to point B.

Just my 2 cents though. .

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Reactions: joker96

·
Registered
773 Posts
Wow everyone has their panties in a twist for a $300 intake.

$300 is nothing. The Cobb intake will be $250-300. I will pay that all day long. VW intakes are $300-700.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
To be clear, I think "cold air intakes" on a turbo car are a waste of time. Your not putting an intake on to get colder air, your putting am intake on to get more air, smoother pipng all to increase how much air your car can flow.

If anything, a short ram is better on a turbo car, less time for the air to get from point A to point B.

Just my 2 cents though. .
Yes because an optimal intercooler will cool the charge before it goes into the motor. Even with exposed filter element, you can look at IATs and they are still very close to ambient temps. It's also fairly easy to isolate a filter under the hood with just a little bit of thought.

Reactions: Colin1337

·
Registered
923 Posts
When a car is moving, it creates intake pressure that a dyno can't show. Being the realist that I am, I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see. lol

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
I am not spending 300$$ without first seeing what every company has to offer. Then I will get one. Meanwhile I am thinking of getting an k&n universal air filter you know the opened type and remove the whole air box. I am looking for that Bov sound. Not any performance gains ATM. Saving some money for the Cobb ap

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2
This is the DISADVANTAGE of buying a brand new platform... waiting for the aftermarket to gear up. I had the advantage of being able to choose from several different intakes and reading loads of feedback from people who had already purchased stuff, before I started buying parts for the MS3. As far as intakes, the SURE seemed to have the least amount off issues (ie: CELs) with the 2nd or 3rd highest average dyno run power. Available aftermarket parts for the FiST seem to be about 25%-50% more expensive than the MS3 segment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts