Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought this might be good place for everyone whom has an issue or concern with their car to post up and discuss.

Engine Malfunction Light
:
About 10kms from home, the Engine Malfunction Light (Little spanner on instrument cluster) decided to pop up. The car didn't go into limp mode, but babied it home. Once home I turned the car off then back again and light was gone. Today I take it around the block and it does the same thing. Ran Torque Pro to scan the ECU for any faults, but didn't show anything. It seems to now happen within 5 minutes of driving. Well take it to ford tomorrow to suss out but any ideas?

I decided to put back the stock air filter/airbox, left the muntoon intake pipe. No warnings or errors and nothing in ODB scan. The car pulls alot harder now. Going off Torque Pro boost was 24.5psi, hit about 240nm. feels completely different now. When I had the aftermarket setup in it wouldn't get anywhere near that. I'm not saying those numbers are 110% accurate but its like chalk and cheese now. I will still take it to Ford is a weeks time as 15K service will be due but could my aftermarket setup really be affecting performance and causing the malfunction?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would wait until you get the vehicle service or go in before hand, that fault code will be logged in the ECU memory, it does not need to be active to find out what it was.
You have 2 CELs, the orange engine symbol and the orange spanner. The orange spanner usually causes it to go into limp- mode and you can't read it with a OBDll scan tool, I assume you must need the Ford software.
What air filter were you running before?.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The aftermarket setup is J1 ST180 MAF Adapter and K&N Apollo CAI. Its been running in the car since March and haven't had any problems.

It was only the orange spanner that came up, but didnt go into limp mode.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The aftermarket setup is J1 ST180 MAF Adapter and K&N Apollo CAI. Its been running in the car since March and haven't had any problems.

It was only the orange spanner that came up, but didnt go into limp mode.
Well it does not make sense then that the CAI you were running would cause a problem now.
I would get the fault code check to see what it relates too, at the moment you can only speculate and guess what was the cause.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I didn't think the little spanner is a CEL. Isn't it merely a service reminder?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I didn't think the little spanner is a CEL. Isn't it merely a service reminder?
When I had the over boost problem which turned out not to be a over boost, I got the orange spanner symbol and limp mode.
I have also had low Cat efficiency because of my dump pipe and that was the orange engine symbol.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ive only noticed the spanner tool when flashing the bluefin on but the tyre pressure sensors were on as well. think it was just a full system thingy prior to the bluefin completing installation.

i only got 21psi with the torque lite app the other day and thats with bluefin on... my fuel use has also come down with the bluefin too :) about 0.4ltrs. not sure if others getting more than 21psi?
Dave and some other UK forum posts have mentioned the bluefin can have a lagg around 3,000rpm. i havent noticed anything yet but keeping an eye out and for any superchips updates. Not sure if overboost works with a tune, i think its just always on?...

Issues ive found:
Radio steering controls only work one way for some station presets.
slight rattle with windows down.
stock suspension feels the knocks on crap road. adj dampers be nice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A tune essentially makes overboost the standard setting.

2 quick random questions:

- Is the lumbar support adjustable?
- What are people's thoughts on the centre armrest? Decent height? Ergonomic?

·
Registered
218 Posts

Wish it was in my 2013 model. Maybe new ones do?
Id want the gear lever back abit more so iam not reaching with the seat position set back for my long legs ;)
Extra cup holders.. that space in front the gear stick deeper so its more pratical.

·
Registered
690 Posts

Crap. Too small and gets in the way. Wrong height. Well thats if youre over 6' foot tall. Also depends on how you drive, if you like to cruise Fiddyscent style then it would bug you more I suppose.

·
Registered
374 Posts
When I had the over boost problem which turned out not to be a over boost, I got the orange spanner symbol and limp mode.
I have also had low Cat efficiency because of my dump pipe and that was the orange engine symbol.
My bad. I just checked out the owners manual.
Here's the relevant excerpt>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone else experienced a yellow 'i' symbol on the radio display that doesn't go away? It popped up today without any warning message and stays on after restarting engine. It's the one that shows up when you get a warning message eg. 'driver door open'. Can't work out what it could be though.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've found the i sometimes sticks around when esc is off. I've also found the screen in general to be buggy. Getting stuck on call screens etc. Sometimes so bad not even the radio on off works to fix it, have to shut the whole car down.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've found the i sometimes sticks around when esc is off. I've also found the screen in general to be buggy. Getting stuck on call screens etc. Sometimes so bad not even the radio on off works to fix it, have to shut the whole car down.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so just reporting back in regards to the Engine Malfunction Light. Took the car in for its 15K service with it reverted back to stock, reported that the light came up on two occasions. Sure enough they found the fault and cleared the code. P006A - Mass Air Flow Correlation.

I will test out the aftermarket setup again and see if it triggers again. Will check the sensor for any dirt etc, but i did this prior and also Ford checked it today. I don't understand why its doing it as the setup is pretty much similar to most of the off the shelf ones which use the J1 or intergrated MAF adapter.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Is there any truth to the fact that having a stiffer RMM than stock can cause knocking? Is this why Mountune dont manufacture one?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Guys where is the auto headlight sensor? My headlights have been staying on during the day on auto. Just wondering if I need to clean the sensor or something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guys where is the auto headlight sensor? My headlights have been staying on during the day on auto. Just wondering if I need to clean the sensor or something.
I believe the sensor is the round black dome thing at the front-middle of the dashboard. The sensor isn't the best...I've had mine randomly turn on in seemingly bright conditions too.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My traction control magically turns off sometimes.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts