Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was intrigued by a friend's car which has a Kahtec flashing brake like mod ( Blinking Smart Stop - Flashing Brake Light ) that I had to get one. I popped open the 3rd brake light and there's plenty of room to mount the small unit but you have to splice into the wires. Only slightly unnerving given it's a new car and under warranty but shouldn't be too bad. My inquries are as follows...

Splicing...
1) Should I splice right behind the 3rd brake light plug
or
2) Should I splice into the wiring inside of the car behind the driver's side rear carpet panel?

Not Splicing...
1) Is there a place to purchase factory plugs so that I can create my own plug-in harness for this thing?

Sorry for resize quality, the connector below says: 968405-1A // material type: PBT-GF10 .

I would prefer the not-splicing option but if I have to splice I have to figure out where. There isn't much wire to work with on the 3rd brake light and the wiring bundle inside the car is fairly compact and bundled. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a guide here:

Blinking Smart Stop Installation Instructions

That says you can use a quick-connect wire tap rather than splicing. I would do it closer to the light, or wherever you have more wire to work with. However doing it behind the carpeted panel would also let you hide away the module a bit better... Hmm.
Different terminology, but I'm referencing the same thing as the article. It requires you to splice, or cut the power wire so that the Kahtec unit can intercept it. The ground wire you can tap onto without having to cut it. In the first photo in my first post, that shows how far the wire can extend out from the opening so there isn't much to work with. You have to remove the rear wing in order to have room to work with on the wire (or if you have tiny hands and tools that might work ;) )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts