Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one that keeps getting challenged to street race? Mostly by civics. I guess my car fits the profile. Lowered, tint, and hids. Use some common sense I'm not gonna make a run on a crowded street. That's just dangerous for those around me. That aren't choosing to race.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oddly I used to get Civics (predominantly the Si) challenging me with my Mazdaspeed 3 and my Focus ST, but nothing yet with this car.

Of course the funniest thing I ever encountered was a crappy Hyundai Veloster thinking he could beat my '14 Mustang GT.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Nothing at all so far, with visible mods. I had an SUV try to beat me to the next light............................................................so i let it. :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Oddly I used to get Civics (predominantly the Si) challenging me with my Mazdaspeed 3 and my Focus ST, but nothing yet with this car.

Of course the funniest thing I ever encountered was a crappy Hyundai Veloster thinking he could beat my '14 Mustang GT.
The most amusing challenges are the ones that really make you wonder wtf they are thinking. I had a mid 2000s V6 Mustang challenge me in my 2004 Audi S4. That one was easy enough. Similarly I had a plethora of Civics and Civic SIs thinking they could win against that same car. Maybe they just didn't really know it had a V8 and was reasonably quick?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I had an MS3 get pissed I wouldn't "play" with him on the street and was all making "pussy" hand-gestures - which I had never previously seen (took me a while to figure out that's wtf he was showing in handsigns)

I'm like a) I'm a Fiesta, you're an MS3, you have a power advantage to begin with and b) we are on public streets during daylight with traffic out, so NO I will not play right now

Had a Civic Si try to stoplight-to-stoplight it with me, but running the Economy tune during the week (5psi limit) to save fuel, the car didn't have the gusto to quite out-pull him to the limit.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Every car thinks they can overtake me at a light or on a highway on ramp. One reason I love my fiesta

Being at 5400ft elevation, all the N/A cars are 20% down on power compared to being at sea level. Turbo power loss is 3% so my car is faster than 95% of cars on the road here hahahah
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last night this dude in some rices out car, complete with interior neon roof lights, is driving like a moron. I pass him in another lane so he speeds up and matches my speed. I decide to go fishing and accelerate to about 75 around another car. He got so angry he went flying by me as I was already on my breaks slowing down to take my exit. I just don't understand where people think crowded freeway plus racing is a good idea.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Funny...I haven't seen that here in my part of Middle TN. I guess you take your chances with street racing depending on where you live. Some jurisdictions "treat it" like a felony = jail, fines and forfeiture of your car while others seem to look the other way. So, the consequences of a bad decision probably depends on too many variables...having a good or bad day, that "black and white" in the rearview mirror or whether you feel lucky. As for me, I'll take a pass (pun intended) and save any challenges for the track.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Funny...I haven't seen that here in my part of Middle TN. I guess you take your chances with street racing depending on where you live. Some jurisdictions "treat it" like a felony = jail, fines and forfeiture of your car while others seem to look the other way. So, the consequences of a bad decision probably depends on too many variables...having a good or bad day, that "black and white" in the rearview mirror or whether you feel lucky. As for me, I'll take a pass (pun intended) and save any challenges for the track.
To be honest when I was younger I used to take the bait and street race, mostly from a stoplight or whatever, but now I generally don't. I drove like an idiot in my teens and early 20s, which culminated with me getting my 4th reckless driving ticket @ 22 years old (95 in a 45 zone), and spending 2 and a half days in jail for speeding (northern VA doesn't mess around...) along with a $1000 fine and no license for 6 months. I don't know how, but my insurance is still relatively inexpensive.

Nowadays I save my spirited driving for abandoned mountain roads every other weekend or so, and I don't mess around in traffic. Occasionally if the roads are empty enough I'll accelerate hard from a roll or stop for fun, but not much past 10 over the limit. Not much point doing that in town anyway - too many lights to make it worthwhile. I'd like to get out to the track sometime, though. Tried autocross with a buddy but it was too much standing around and too little driving for me to take it up regularly.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had my car for 4 days now. In that time, I have had 2-3 Civic SI's and a couple older (01-02) Golf GTI's revving their engines next to me. I must be getting old, but I don't want to race you. I didn't buy the Fiesta to have drag races, I bought it to enjoy the experience of driving. That being said, I do get a lot of looks from everyone, that's for sure. I wasn't expecting that from a little hatchback.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Had someone in an Si flip me off today for not "racing" him. Not worth my time, especially when the FiST is vastly superior in every way :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts