Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting into working on my car on my own and received a 3/8in torque wrench as an early christmas present. After doing some research I figured out that our lugs need to be at 100lb/ft and the wrench I got maxes out at 100. Should I try and exchange it for a 1/2in wrench that will go well above what is needed for the lugs? The issue is that the wrench I was given is a really nice Kobalt and if I were to exchange for a 1/2in I'd need to downgrade a bit to stay within the value of the Kobalt.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use a harbor freight one for my lug nuts. its a half inch and cost me 20 bucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am just getting into working on my car on my own and received a 3/8in torque wrench as an early christmas present. After doing some research I figured out that our lugs need to be at 100lb/ft and the wrench I got maxes out at 100. Should I try and exchange it for a 1/2in wrench that will go well above what is needed for the lugs? The issue is that the wrench I was given is a really nice Kobalt and if I were to exchange for a 1/2in I'd need to downgrade a bit to stay within the value of the Kobalt.
Howdy! After years of using a friend's tools to swap my winter wheels, I now need to gather my own.... and also just received a 3/8 drive torque wrench that tops out at 100 as an early Christmas present (mine from Precision Instruments C2FR100F, range 20-100lb/ft). I literally have the same question you did - concerns about torque at the max of the range, as well as the 4% calibration accuracy (is that accurate enough, esp at the high end of the range?) What did you end up doing? Any lessons learned? Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ideally you'd keep and use both. They are different horses for different courses. But as of now I only I have a 1/2" torque wrench with a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter which seems to do alright for most situations

1 - 4 of 4 Posts