Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

Lug Nut Torque

12K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  meGrimlock 
I am just getting into working on my car on my own and received a 3/8in torque wrench as an early christmas present. After doing some research I figured out that our lugs need to be at 100lb/ft and the wrench I got maxes out at 100. Should I try and exchange it for a 1/2in wrench that will go well above what is needed for the lugs? The issue is that the wrench I was given is a really nice Kobalt and if I were to exchange for a 1/2in I'd need to downgrade a bit to stay within the value of the Kobalt.
Howdy! After years of using a friend's tools to swap my winter wheels, I now need to gather my own.... and also just received a 3/8 drive torque wrench that tops out at 100 as an early Christmas present (mine from Precision Instruments C2FR100F, range 20-100lb/ft). I literally have the same question you did - concerns about torque at the max of the range, as well as the 4% calibration accuracy (is that accurate enough, esp at the high end of the range?) What did you end up doing? Any lessons learned? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.