Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been seriously considering the Magnaflow exhaust. They are priced right (you can find them for around $600 on sale) and have always made a quality product that also have stainless flanges. Tubing size is only 2.25" though and only slightly larger than the stock size. Their mufflers are all straight through designs. Its odd others are making 2.5 and even 3.0 inch systems.

Thoughts of Forum members?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sent an email to Magnaflow a couple weeks ago and this was their response...
Me: Hello Im in the market of buying a catback exhaust for my new car. Out of most ive listened to on youtube and in person I really like the sound of your Magnaflow the most especially vs Borla's. But im just curious as to why Magnaflow and Borla are using such small piping on this turbo charged car when most others like Milltek use 2.5" and bigger piping. I plan to mod my car for more power gains in the next 3 years and this small piping which isnt much larger than stock concerns me and is holding me back from purchasing. Would you be able to give me good reasoning why should I purchase this 2.25" exhaust over other 2.5"- 3" exhausts on the market?

Magnaflow:
Engineering designs our kits with optimal sound and performance in mind. Utilizing 2.25” tubing is what helped achieve those gains and sound for our kit on a stock vehicle.

Me: Hi Nic, would you be able to tell me what are the performance gains with this exhaust?

Magnaflow:
I couldn’t find anything in my folders or notes. I reached out to engineering for you. When I hear back I will let you know.

And never heard from them again.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am going to have a custom exhaust made using 2.5" tubing. My '03 Cobra makes 529rwhp with a 4.6 motor using dual 2.5" exhaust. I figure a 1.6 should have no problem making extra power with 2.5", 3" is overkill.

·
Registered
923 Posts
3" is nothing short of AWESOME on this car... I was worried about the tubing size too on the Scorpion system, but after a bunch of back and forth discussions with Scorpion they put my worries to rest. After driving the car for 200+ miles already, I can assure you a properly designed 3" mandrel tubing exhaust system for the FiST is anything but "too big or overkill" :eek: Just the responsiveness of the turbo (no lag now) is worth it. Good luck seeing any gains on the dyno with a 2.25" system. My opinion is that these companies KNOW for a fact that a 2.25" system is going to work with no problems... with no engineering on their part because well, frankly.. if it's only slightly larger diameter piping than stock, how could there be a problem? Even the engineers at Scorpion told me that I could buy either their 2.5" or 3" system, but the 3" was "the way to go" for maximum performance and sound. Why would they tell me that if they manufacture and sell both diameter exhaust sizes? People that settle now for stuff that has been rushed to market will end up being very disappointed. The UK spec cars have been out for a full year (they have had 2013 model Fiesta ST180 out for over a year now) and in the US the car is just now gaining traction in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Oh yeah and by the way, if 3" is overkill or "too much" for the Fiesta ST, why does it work so well on my car with only a panel filter and Cobb OTS Stage 1 tune? If you plan on changing the downpipe, turbo, intake ect, a 3" system (in theory) will give you better performance (given reduction in lag). It's all speculation until someone has tried it. I have a 3" system on my car and it has exceeded my expectations in every way possible. :D

·
Registered
923 Posts
I am going to have a custom exhaust made using 2.5" tubing. My '03 Cobra makes 529rwhp with a 4.6 motor using dual 2.5" exhaust. I figure a 1.6 should have no problem making extra power with 2.5", 3" is overkill.
Keep in mind, trying to compare a normally aspirated vehicle to a forced induction vehicle (or even turbo v.s. supercharger) is like comparing apples to oranges. The MAIN advantage to larger diameter piping on a turbo car is reduction in turbo spool (or lag). Less lag means more torque at lower rpm and increased drivability. I love how my car responds to part throttle input now just driving around town... the turbo is a LOT more responsive at any given rpm.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'll have some dyno numbers on the 3" system sometime next week.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Keep in mind, trying to compare a normally aspirated vehicle to a forced induction vehicle is like comparing apples to oranges. The MAIN advantage to larger diameter piping on a turbo car is reduction in turbo spool (or lag). Less lag means more torque at lower rpm and increased drivability. I love how my car responds to part throttle input now just driving around town... the turbo is a LOT more responsive at any given rpm.
I do believe the 03 cobras are supercharged.
But I agree with you, less restriction on the turbo = more responsiveness and power.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I do believe the 03 cobras are supercharged.
But I agree with you, less restriction on the turbo = more responsiveness and power.
Yes and the biggest restriction on this application is 1. The down pipe bottle neck and 2. the cat. :p The 3" exhaust system is a significant difference that I hope shows up on the next dyno session.

Reactions: rodmoe

·
Registered
212 Posts
^Easy big fella. I base my opinion on 28 years of drag racing and 7 years of open track racing and moding various makes and models of cars, forced induction, naturally aspirated, gas, and diesel.

Your argument as to why would they recommend a 3" over a 2.5", when they make both, makes me wonder why even make the 2.5" if the 3" is better all around. It's because it is not. If you're going to pull out all the stops for peak HP, a 3" is the way to go. If you are going to do the basics, tune, CAI, intercooler. Then the 2.5" will give you better throttle response and torque. I am not saying that a 3" won't make an improvement over stock. It is more than necessary for most mildy modded cars.

As of a few years ago the diesel truck land speed record was held with a truck that had a single 4" turbo back exhaust. That truck made well over 1,000hp. I have a friend who would run low 10's with a turbo Mustang, using a dual 2.5" exhaust. Bigger is not always better or necessary. I am sure a 2.5" will have plenty of flow for my Fiesta. If you choose to run the 3", that's cool.

·
Registered
923 Posts
^Easy big fella. I base my opinion on 28 years of drag racing and 7 years of open track racing and moding various makes and models of cars, forced induction, naturally aspirated, gas, and diesel.

Your argument as to why would they recommend a 3" over a 2.5", when they make both, makes me wonder why even make the 2.5" if the 3" is better all around. It's because it is not. If you're going to pull out all the stops for peak HP, a 3" is the way to go. If you are going to do the basics, tune, CAI, intercooler. Then the 2.5" will give you better throttle response and torque. I am not saying that a 3" won't make an improvement over stock. It is more than necessary for most mildy modded cars.

As of a few years ago the diesel truck land speed record was held with a truck that had a single 4" turbo back exhaust. That truck made well over 1,000hp. I have a friend who would run low 10's with a turbo Mustang, using a dual 2.5" exhaust. Bigger is not always better or necessary. I am sure a 2.5" will have plenty of flow for my Fiesta. If you choose to run the 3", that's cool.
Let's just say your experience is different than mine. ;) Throttle response on a turbo car is dictated by back pressure. Less back pressure = less turbo lag. At lower rpm, the actual turbo wheel can actually be a restriction to flow until it starts generating boost. The down pipe on this car is a HUGE restriction (it bottles down to what appears to be golf ball size hole on the back side of the cat). 2.5" or 3" is not going to really make much difference until the DP is replaced. lol It's easy to understand how larger than optimal exhaust pipe diameter would negatively effect a normally aspirated engine due to sonic sound wave and cylinder scavenging (louder doesn't always mean faster either on a fuel injected car, which often times actually needs back pressure to run correctly). However, turbo cars don't exactly work like that. According to Scorpion, the difference between the 2.5" and the 3" Scorpion system is approximately 6 hp (peak) on a STOCK Fiesta ST. Since my car is not stock, I can't say what it does on a bone stock vehicle. I do know they engineered and released the 2.5" system FIRST and found they could go bigger without any compromise. That's why two systems exist, but not for the reasons you suggest. ;) However, I do know this: with an OTS stage 1 (93 octane) tune and a drop in filter, performance increase is something I can feel, not only on my back side but also in the steering wheel. The lack of traction (and copious amounts of torque steer that did not exist prior) in 1st and 2nd gear (despite having sticky 215 width tires) indicates the car is making plenty of power, even off idle. Increased throttle response, decreased lag, better pull. Only a dyno test away to seeing where a negative on this mod exists. It's fun to "speculate" on mods (based on other cars owned ect ect), but I actually have an aftermarket system on my car, have put 300+ miles on it since the install and will have dyno tests done before anyone else even has a named brand system on their car. :p Anyways... only time will tell what is best for this platform. I can say without a doubt that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 3" system on the 1.6L ecoboost. How will it compare with a 2.5" system? No use in arguing about something no one has an answer to... yet. Go baseline your car, buy the 2.5" system and test it. I will be putting mine to the test this coming week and will share those results with everyone. :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Also, since our cars are speed density v.s. the UKs MAF set up, our cars should respond better to mods and be easier to tune for best gains. It's too early to argue what will be best when there are very few choices in aftermarket parts. Let's save this discussion for a later time. :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Well, I asked them that very question this morning and this was their answer: The reason we have 2 systems available is that when we originally developed the exhaust for the European market the 2 ½” was deemed to be the best option as we also get the exhausts homologated (EC approved). To achieve this the noise has to be within 2 db of the standard exhaust and you can’t show significant power gains. After we had developed the 2 ½” system tuners also started asking for a 3” system to allow greater scope for higher performance tuning so this is what we have done. Kind Regards

Martin Lomas
Scorpion Exhausts
01773 744123
[email protected]
www.scorpion-exhausts.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
2.5" exhausts are cheaper and easier to make. It's much much easier to route a 2.5" pipe than it is to fit a 3" where space is a concern (which I doubt it is on a fiesta). That's really all...

in order to fully utilize the advantages of a 3" exhaust you need to be flowing some air. I highly doubt the stock turbo will show any significant improvements with a 3" over a 2.5" but if a 3" doesn't hurt and that s what people want, then why not make it?

At any rate, I'm anxious to see your dyno numbers with the mods!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I may need to tweak my tune as well... I'm not sure how long the OTS 93 octane stage 1 map will work as I keep adding parts every week. lol. I'm really not expecting much in the way of peak horsepower gains (Scorpion shows a +6 hp gain with the 3" system over their 2.5" system), however based on very much improved throttle response, noticeably more torque steer, excessive wheel spin and lack of boost lag, torque might be higher and might arrive a bit earlier. We'll see soon enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts