Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know our cars aren't flex fuel, but I was curious if there were any plans on trying an e85 tune? I assume our fuel lines and such can support it (just from a manufacturing point of view), but it's the tune that's holding it back.

Austin has a lot of e85 stations, and it's usually cheaper ;) Plus, more powah. Haha

·
Registered
182 Posts
The problem isn't the lines, it's making sure the injectors and pump can supply sufficient e85. You need a lot more of it, and it gets much worse mileage.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Your mileage will really suck on E85. Speaking from experience.

If you add a gallon of E85 to a tankful of 91 though you'll get a nice little octane boost, lol
There are Propel stations all over SoCal that offer E85... and I know some of the FR-S guys are running E85 maps using Vishnu tuners - but I find their claim of suddenly making 240tq on a NA FR-S simply by using E85 highly dubious

·
Registered
526 Posts
Diesel is direct injection right? Wouldn't you just need to increase fuel pressure? Ie new pump? Or do Gdi injectors work in a similar way to port injectors where they are rated by injector flow? Anyone care to shed some light here?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure, it would get a bit worse gas mileage, but I would have to compute the cost equation for my driving style.

240tq is a little questionable ;) But that's interesting that they are able to use E85, as they are not a flex-fuel vehicle from the factory. I wonder if it's just a tune or if they've had to change pump/injectors. To the internets!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
E85 concerns me unless you have the ability to change to a gas map of you can't get it. Most flex fuel vehicles can detect the amount of ethanol in the fuel and change the map on the fly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
E85 concerns me unless you have the ability to change to a gas map of you can't get it. Most flex fuel vehicles can detect the amount of ethanol in the fuel and change the map on the fly.
You can use the AP to switch maps, just takes a minute or two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts