Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
How is the intake doing? UK spec here which I'm assuming will be the same as Australia spec, just the US that are on their own right? Correct me if I am wrong... I bought the Injen, I won't go in to detail as you seem well informed as is. So yeah, I'm looking to put together my own intake just like yours and was wondering how it is doing... I'll probably end up cutting my Injen where the mountune silicone hose attaches and using the Injen aluminum to the turbo. Might as well make use of it ;)

Dan.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Haven't had any dramas with it so far. It was a bit of a no brainier for me as I already had the"Pod" available, and didn't really want to fork out too much money on an off the shelf setup.

Two tips on the install i would say is
a) Dont overtighten the J1 MAF adapter as it will slightly deform the shape.
b) Depending on what filter you use, you may get some slight rattles on start up as on mine the end of the pod is rested just behind the headlight.

Don't know how accurate this is but using the Torque Pro App, im getting about 1-2 degree difference between ambient temp vs intake temp.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Took the time out last weekend and replaced the mirror indicators with chrome bulbs. Was very hesitant trying to remove the mirror caps thinking I would break the clips in side, but was actually pretty easy to remove and put back. So now all exterior and interior bulbs have been replaced with brighter ones.

Mounted my GoPro and went for a quick squirt while running some errands. Not too sure if it is a little too loud or just right.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well its been a long time between drinks for me posting up an update of the FiST. Since the last update I haven't had any real problems with anything on the car. At one point i felt a bit more movement in the engine travel/vague shift selections, but after checking the Torque Mount and putting some lok-tite, all is gone. Only problem i have is a slight rattle coming from the rear drivers side suspension/wheel well. It is mainly heard when going over speed pumps or rough surfaces. So apart from that everything has been running smoothly over the past 26000kms.

Over the past 3-4 weeks I have made quite a bit of progress with various mods. (I have updated the Opening Post with details/pics/vids)

1st Week- Superchips Bluefin Stage 1

Purchased direct from Tigersoft in Melbourne. John was awesome to deal with at time of sale and when i had a few problems actually installing it in the car (The handset apparently was saying the tune was already loaded). After about 20mins it was all good to go and loaded. The journey to work the following morning was very interesting and all legal. 1st & 2nd gear seem to work a lot smoother when engaging the gear, though i find them useless now. All higher gears have a lot more oomph in in gear acceleration. I am using 6th a lot more now in and around
town, in places i would be in 4th or 5th. Definitely pulls you back in the seat harder and longer. Overall probably the best bang for buck mod done so far.

2nd Week -Airtec Stage 1 Intercooler / Mountune Charge Pipe Upgrade Kit

A good mate begged to help me out on this install so started around 8am (lots of sweat, cuts, burns, coke cola, Euro music in between) till 4pm. Did these both together to save doing the front end removal twice. With the help of Dreadlys install posts and the install guide from Airtec/Mountune, it was actually a pretty straightforward and easy job. The only pain in the ass was removing the symposer pipe clamps. It did help having the right tools for the job, but no way i would have done it solely.I have been seeing intake temps usually 1-3 degrees less
than ambient temp. (I assume this is good?). The stock intercooler would be equal or 1-2 degrees higher than ambient.

3rd Week- Hi-Tech Exhaust

Booked myself in at Hi Tech Mufflers in Darlinghurst for Lambros to work his magic. I went with a custom 2.5inch stainless steel Cat Back with resonator delete, straight through to stainless steel muffler with twin shadow chrome 3inch tips. My previous two Fiesta's had exhausts custom built here, so i knew the workmanship and quality that that's going in and I wouldn't have settled for anything less. Took them about 3.5hours to complete. The exhaust note is deeper than i expected, but not overpowering where it drones too much. Has a nice burble on overrun /liftoff. No cracks or pops as yet. Once you give it the boot around 3000rpm, the car comes alive and the note gets deeper and deeper as the revs go up. Very happy with the result.

3rd Week - Dyno Day
After the exhaust was done, I headed to Port Hacking Automotive, for a dyno day with Dreadly, Nevermind , MATTPRW, and a few 5pot XR5s & RS. Little did anyone know about the new additions. What was interesting to see was all our 4 cars had different modifications but the results were so close respectively. (I will let the others post their results). I am content with the result of mine (121.6KW/263.5NM @ the wheels), though I thought it might have been around 125KW. Obviously a few variables to take into account etc, but i think it might have been a little higher if the exhaust was well run in and ECU was had time to adjust. Just my thoughts.

So yes its been a busy week, and i will try get some more pictures and video of it all as it is now. Hopefully this will be done on the weekend and i can go for a good drive through some nice twisties.

So whats next??

Tyres
26500kms so far out of the RE050A, but i expect to change them to RE003's 215/40R17 before the 30000kms service. Previously on my other fiestas I had the RE001 + RE002 and absolutely loved them.

Exhaust Hangers
Going to investigate on some aftermarket exhaust hangers as the stock ones are giving me too much movement especially the rear muffler hanger. Thinking of giving these ago

Powerflex Exhaust Hanger Set Fiesta ST180 - Exhaust Hangers - Exhaust Systems / Manifolds - Ford Fiesta ST180 - Home - JW Racing

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would love to know how you go with the hangers as my mountune catback has movement and I foresee the rubber wearing fast to the point it will knock

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looking good Mate and glad to hear no issues.

I have one of those powerflex bushes and pretty much direct replacement. (i got it off ebay from the uk)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Replace the stock exhaust hangers with the Powerflex Exhaust Mounting Bush EXH005 x 3. Pretty much a direct fit against the stock ones and with my aftermarket exhaust. Took about 30mins for all three. Pretty happy with the fitment and much less sway at muffler end.

Having scrapped part of the front splitter and being quite pissed a few weeks ago, I headed to Clark Rubber for some Pinchweld PVC Moulding which runs around the front lips of the splitter. This should give better protection.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Finally took the time to get some video/audio of the car as it is now. Please note its a GoPro with standard mic. I will invest in an external one eventually. For the exhaust section the cam is positioned on the bottom of the boot lid so its a little too muffled.

·
Registered
385 Posts
looks like that's out my way? kellyville/c.hill/dural ish? could be wrong lol

·
Registered
374 Posts
Nice tone on your exhaust. I can see why you're happy.
Yeah it is worth it with an external mic. I've bought two mics (not expensive) and plan on doing some mixing with engine bay and exhaust sounds.
Also curious am I reading your first post correctly do you have KW coilovers sitting in a box ready to install? B)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeah the coilovers are sitting in a box under the house and I am keen to get them on now asap, but got a few other mods I wanna do beforehand. Watch this space......

Interested to hear what external mic you have got. I'm using a Hero+3

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Like the sound of the Hi-tech.. You have more patience than me mate I would have the car jacked up before the mailman arrived. Interested to hear your opinions on them when they're on.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts