Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!!

Ive got an interesting question, haven't been able to find the answer anywhere! I own a Mountune AP as i've upgraded to the Mountune MP215 kit, but I feel its time to step up again.

Ive got two options really, spend big and go the new Mountune MR230, which is more than $2200 AUD with the mods I need, plus its not DIY friendly due to the cam timing having to be changed. Or go a MAXDOUT kit from Pumaspeed. The Pumaspeed kit will have more power, and cost less, but wont have that Mountune name.

Now to my main question, If i was to go the MAXDOUT tune, would I still be able to run the Mountune AP for monitoring boost pressure etc? Im not sure if it would automatically detect a foreign tune and either shut down or attempt to override it, or even worst case trigger the immobiliser.

Anyone currently running a setup like this with custom tunes and the Mountune AP?

Cheers!

·
Registered
241 Posts
As far as my knowledge, a mountune AP is nothing more than a Cobb AP with a mountune placard and mountune custom tunes loaded from the get go.

this "maxedout" tune and whatever aftermarket or custom tune you load into the "mountune" AP will work as intended. just makes the only thing special about your AP is that it says mountune on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im pretty sure the Mountune AP is locked, so that no other tunes can be loaded onto it.

I was wondering if another tune was installed on the ECU, would the Mountune AP still be able to provide readings for boost pressure etc when connected. From what I recall when installing the Mountune MP215 tune, as soon as you connect the AP to the ECU, it automatically detects a stock tune and immediately goes into installing the Mountune MP215 tune.

Anyway, Pumaspeed have a black friday sale on at the moment, and I ended up purchasing the 'MAXD-OUT' tuning box as it was $200 off. When I get around to installing it ill let you know what happens.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Im pretty sure the Mountune AP is locked, so that no other tunes can be loaded onto it.

I was wondering if another tune was installed on the ECU, would the Mountune AP still be able to provide readings for boost pressure etc when connected. From what I recall when installing the Mountune MP215 tune, as soon as you connect the AP to the ECU, it automatically detects a stock tune and immediately goes into installing the Mountune MP215 tune.
That's my understanding as well. The only way to remove the mp215 tune is to have a FORD dealer do a reset back to stock. The AP itself would then, if plugged in, try to re-install. It is coded to the THAT car and cannot be used on any other. All this is done to protect both the Ford Factory Warranty, AND the Mountune intellectual property.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
@tha_finch which PumaSpeed kit (stage) did you end up buying?

Was it the stage 1 pictured here?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully when I reconnect the mountune AP after retuning the ecu it won't automatically try and flash it, but ill have to wait and see.

I ended up buying all the parts I needed to get to stage 2, plus I bought the stage 2r tuning box! I ended up getting a stage 2 intercooler, decat pipe, crossover pipe, turbo hot side pipe and tuning box for around 1600 AUD!

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
As far as my knowledge, a mountune AP is nothing more than a Cobb AP with a mountune placard and mountune custom tunes loaded from the get go.

this "maxedout" tune and whatever aftermarket or custom tune you load into the "mountune" AP will work as intended. just makes the only thing special about your AP is that it says mountune on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AFAIK the mountune handsets are locked and you can't load a new tune onto them after the fact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so finally got everything done and dusted. All the parts were installed before new years, however I had to wait a bit until Pumaspeed could deliver on their flash tune.

There was some issue where my cars ECU was different, so they had to create a new tune, which took some time, especially over the holiday break.

After flash tuning the ST, and plugging the Mtune (Mountune AP) back into the OBD port, there was no issues whatsoever. The Mtune continued to display boost pressure and other readings as it would with the Mountune tune. It hasn't tried to re flash my ECU either.

So essentially, the MAXDOUT tune had no effect on the operation of the Mtune. And now the car has an insane amount of power! And for those who posted above, yes the Mtune device is locked, and therefore no other tunes can be loaded onto it. I got around this by purchasing another flash tune device, flashing the ECU, then reconnecting the Mtune.

Below are pics of the install, which was a pain at times (especially the heat shields and stock cat converter)

Reactions: woodyst and AE86

·
Registered
172 Posts
Jesus Christ ,well done! ...would love to be your passenger just to experience what the power difference is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jesus Christ ,well done! ...would love to be your passenger just to experience what the power difference is.
Cheers mate! Im hoping to get it dyno'd soon to see what its making

·
Registered
0 Posts
That's my understanding as well. The only way to remove the mp215 tune is to have a FORD dealer do a reset back to stock. The AP itself would then, if plugged in, try to re-install. It is coded to the THAT car and cannot be used on any other. All this is done to protect both the Ford Factory Warranty, AND the Mountune intellectual property.
New FiST owner... live in snowy MT, considering mp 215... so no going bk to stock settings w out dealer? Would like option of factory reset for super icy days...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
New FiST owner... live in snowy MT, considering mp 215... so no going bk to stock settings w out dealer? Would like option of factory reset for super icy days...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I wouldn't worry about it. The MP215 gives you more power, but not so much it would be any harder to drive in snow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
is it possible to load MP215 back on the fiesta ST after loading pumaspeed MAXD out stage 1r/stage 2r incase you dont like it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts