Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got the Cobb AP installed this morning. I initially installed the 91 octane stage 1 map due to everyone saying it was better than the 93 map. Peak boost on the 91 map was 19.92 psi, but on average it is hitting 19.5-ish. The max boost run that produced that number was in 2nd gear. :eek: I was seeing 17-18 psi in first gear, but the gear run out is so short it's hard for me to visually read the gauge. I can't really tell on the butt-dyno if the engine is making any more power but I plan on doing a dyno test in a few weeks with all three maps (stock, 91 and 93) just so I can document the output differences on paper. I also tried the 93 octane stage 1 map and concur with others findings that it's not nearly as "responsive" as the 91 map. I have a feeling Cobb is going to want to go back to the drawing board in regards to the 93 map. I still think the 91 octane stage 1 map could be tweaked for a smidge more for a 93 octane car. Boost seems to taper down a bit too much as rpm climbs. I think I remember reading that the 93 map doesn't have quite the taper down and runs 1-2 psi higher at upper rpm. It just appears as if the A/F ratio targets are set too rich on the 93 map and that could be an issue. The engine seems a bit muffled compared to the 91. I was kind of hoping to see peak psi around at least 20.5 psi. Mine seems to be displaying peak boost numbers with nothing erratic showing up like others have. I only drove the FiST about 12 miles since I installed the 91 map. Wondering if all the short/long term fuel trims and speed density learning are erased with the reflash (I would think they would be). Overall I like the AP and can't wait for the Racer Access to be released.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Why do I feel like I couldve waited to order mine.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Why wait? Just the raised rev limit alone makes the AP a much worthy mod. Cobb is very good at updating their tunes. As they make changes, all you have to do is just plug the AP up to your computer and DL the latest version of a tune, with any and all the changes they made to the map.

·
Registered
946 Posts
How does a 91 tune feel stronger than a 93?! That's strange.. looks like I'll be waiting till spring to pick one up for sure..

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does a 91 tune feel stronger than a 93?! That's strange.. looks like I'll be waiting till spring to pick one up for sure..
I don't know but the 91 map is much improved over the stock map. I just think some tweaking needs to be done on Cobbs end with the 93 map.... or at least release the Racer Access software so I can tinker with it. :p

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps someone @ Cobb Tuning can chime in...

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's very strange that you can't feel a difference with the butt-dyno! Must be a very conservative increase with the raised limiter. From what I've heard, they could likely just raise the limiter alone and it would be worthwhile as all the reviews say it pulls hard all the way to redline. My car tapers off about 1-2K before redline so it'll be a very different concept taking it up that high and still having the power.

Reactions: Pelotonracer2

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's very strange that you can't feel a difference with the butt-dyno! Must be a very conservative increase with the raised limiter. From what I've heard, they could likely just raise the limiter alone and it would be worthwhile as all the reviews say it pulls hard all the way to redline. My car tapers off about 1-2K before redline so it'll be a very different concept taking it up that high and still having the power.
Oh the tune definitely feels better than stock across the power band. It pulls strong to redline. I could be wrong but I bet it resets the speed density/MAP learning and fuel trims once a new tune is uploaded. I plan on putting a few miles on it tomorrow and this weekend to see if maybe it will become a bit more responsive. I'll be ordering the FSWERKs intake in about a week but will definitely be getting some dyno time in with the stock and tune set-ups first.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like it's a good tune - just a shame us Australian's can't access it due to apparent ECU differences between EDM and USDM FiSTs. We only have the Mountune map which is apparently not that good and a provider named Bluefin which I don't know much about. ConST on here runs it on his FiST and had said it's very good so barring any new tuners entering the scene between now and May when I get my car it'll likely be a Bluefin tune I'll have on mine.

·
Registered
773 Posts
1st is useless? ugh

All turbo FWD cars are like this.

I'm excited to see Cobbs offerings soon for stage 2 and 3.

For Peleton, I am sure the tune will refine itself once it relearns after a bit. Also, try and figure out how to enable the 2 step feature that the FiST's are able to support.

How does the clutch feel? I am sure it is hard to tell but I am hoping that the clutch can hold this extra power well.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Just unboxed mine...so I all I have to do is register it online then marry it to my car correct? All the tunes are already loaded onto the AP?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I not sure how much tuning is going to help with the boost tapering down, the turbo is just too small to support that kind of boost at high RPM.

And the power difference is noticeable in my opinion, first is now useless, 2nd is way more squirly, and I can chirp into third whereas I couldn't on OEM tune.
I can finesse it out of the gate (1st gear) without too much problems, on the right pavement. 2nd gear is getting a lot more boost with the 91 map than stock. 19.9 psi v.s. 14. Glad I am planning on getting wider tires. It will need it. For reference, THIS car feels like it has a lot more power than my stock '91 Toyota MR2 Turbo. It's pulling hard to redline, whereas the stock mapped car starts to run out of steam before 6000 rpm. Only other mod I have is a K&N air filter in box. The best thing about the AP is the increase in rev limit. The 2nd to 3rd upshift lands right into the meat of the power band. Does NOT fall on it's face anymore like it did on the upshift with the stock map.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 150 Posts