Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted the Ford Navigation system in my FiST, but due to problems finding it in the options I wanted (ingot silver or white, no sunroof, base seats, wheel package) I settled for a non navi with sunroof, base seats and painted wheel/caliper pack. Anyone have any suggestions for a relative cheap but nice plug in navi sys?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Your smart phone with google maps! haha. Best navi I've ever used. Still use it more than the navi in my cars.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your smart phone with google maps! haha. Best navi I've ever used. Still use it more than the navi in my cars.
That's the best answer.
I was recently on an adventure for work through North Carolina and Southern Virginia and the combination of Google Maps and the iphone was a nearly flawless assistant. I was able to even get some on the fly changes to my route done by using Siri while driving and then letting the built in Apple maps app get me there. Frankly, I was shocked how helpful Siri was in finding Uhaul locations out in the middle of nowhere.

There are times when the phone is impractical. For those times, I have a Garmin Nuvi. I don't know much about Nav systems, but the Nuvi is cheap and works great. There are options for size and added features, but the most bare bones model is all that almost anyone needs.

I also got a ST without Navigation. I cannot imagine paying $795 for that built in feature.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I hate my phone though.. lolz :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
I plan on using my Tom Tom. I bought it for the reason I can take it in different vehicles. I ordered an extension cord for the power port and a 3 way with extra USB to install somewhere on the dash/under the dash so the wires don't need to stretch over the shifter. I plan on running the extension from the back seat power port up under the dash and then finding a good spot for the three way to plug in my radar detector and Tom Tom.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, I hate my phone though.. lolz :p
Can you get a new phone? It seems that it would make more sense to upgrade your phone (which you will always have with you - even if you use another vehicle) rather than buying a standalone device. I've used standalone devices from Garmin and Tom Tom in the past and had good luck with both brands but ended up just using my phone after I gave away my last Garmin to a friend who got lost every time they came to visit. The new ST has navigation so I don't need to bother with it any longer though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not sure if everyone knows this, but when your smart phone is paired via Bluetooth and you're using nav on the phone, it will interrupt the music, and tell you the directions then resume playing the music. Even if your phone isn't mounted where you can see it, you can just follow the audio directions.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I found out from one of my service advisors yesterday that you can register your phone with the FiST with Ford's sync my ride website and it will give you turn by turn navigation on the screen (in the car) through your phone. I haven't tried it yet, been busy and keep forgetting. If it's correct though, free navigation :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I didn't get nav either, on purpose. I use my phone Motorola HD. It has a big screen and works great. Since I got the car for my tooling around car, I know most of the area I am driving in. I did not see the point in paying the extra $800+.

·
Registered
95 Posts
For those with smart phones search "sync destinations" in your App Store. Add destinations in the app, send them straight to your car and turn by turn directions will show up. This is another way of doing what LVracerGT said. (This is without Ford Nav Package also.) I have used it a couple times just to try it out, and it was decent. In a crunch I'm sure it could get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts