Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an owner of a big turbo FOST. I'm buying a house and I'm thinking about trading in the FOST for a FIST. I'll have a longer commute and need to lower my payment a little. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love my FiSt and chose it over the FoSt for a few reasons. Better MPG. Cheaper Insurance. Lower Payments. Lighter car which makes it FEEL more fun to drive.

Plus with a big turbo, pro tune, and tires it runs a low 12 sec. Which is exactly what the big turbo, pro tune, and tires FoSt's run. So there actually is no loss in performance, just difference in dyno numbers.

Save the 3-6k, get the extra 3mpg, and love the 2700lb monster

·
Registered
282 Posts
The FiST is a fun little car. It's go-cart like handling makes it a pisser to drive. I average about 33 mpg with mixed
highway/city totally stock. The ride seemed to be a wee bit 'firmer' than the Focus, and it IS a compact car, so you'll
lose some room inside. You'll probably feel it lacks power in comparison to your current car, but it's more than adequately
powered to keep a grin on your face, and keeping you moving through traffic.

I don't plan to 'tune' this car much, so I'll let the 'go big' folks let you know about it's potential... My plans are an intake, and a CBE,
maybe an AP and I'm done... mostly looking for the car to sound as peppy as it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you both and thanks for the replies. If I trade now I'll break even. Want to do it before my car loses any more value. BTW my uncle is a finance manager at Galpin so I'll get the car on the cheap

·
Registered
136 Posts
Guess it comes down to just how much you'll save in gas, payments, etc. Are you really going to save that much overall? If so, is it worth all of the work it'll take to get things back to stock and traded in?

To me it sounds like you've put a fair amount of hard work, money, and time into your FoST. If it were me, I would have a hard time going backwards (back to stock) in a relatively new car just to save $50-100 a month.

I don't know the answer... just throwing it out there! Good luck in your decision... sounds like you will be happy either way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, it's going to be a little more nimble and get better MPG, but 410WTQ seems like it would be hard to give up...haha

·
Registered
316 Posts
For a daily driver the FoST is much better at the grand touring comfortable distance drive. The FiST is just fun to drive so it makes the trip go by quickly, harsher ride due to shocks and wheelbase.... But an absolute dream on good roads/freeways...Apples to oranges, I picked the FiST due to cost of ownership and the platform has had no major issues or recalls since it's been out in some variation since 08'. Summary: FiST lateral G fun and overall cost vs FoST longitudinal G fun and more aftermarket options (potential)

·
Registered
253 Posts
For a daily driver the FoST is much better at the grand touring comfortable distance drive. The FiST is just fun to drive so it makes the trip go by quickly, harsher ride due to shocks and wheelbase.... But an absolute dream on good roads/freeways...Apples to oranges, I picked the FiST due to cost of ownership and the platform has had no major issues or recalls since it's been out in some variation since 08'. Summary: FiST lateral G fun and overall cost vs FoST longitudinal G fun and more aftermarket options (potential)
This x2. I've been driving an hour to work each way for the past month and a half, and if I was going to continue doing so, I would probably look into something a bit roomier and more comfortable.

Even in the middle of a long drive, the FiST can still make me smile though. Not to mention I've never once felt it out of control, even in horrendous highway blizzards. Amazingly fun car, and tremendous bang for your buck.

I also chose the FiST for lower cost of ownership. Getting 30+ mpg consistently (sometimes 40 in the summer) with kick-in-the-pants power is awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts