Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide what to do with my FiST. The Bridgestones kinda suck in my part of the world (Pacific NW) - they'll be great for about 2 months this summer, but the rest of the time, I really need an all-season to cope with what can be unrelenting rain. Thing is, I don't want to totally give up the handling. It is my daily driver so it's not like I'm limiting her out every day, but...I want to drive it like it's meant to be driven when I can squeeze it in. As it is a daily driver, though...so I'd love to get something a little quieter. No complaints really about the ride quality - it's nervous, yeah, but...if I wanted a plush-mobile, I'd have bought one - however, the Bridgestones are loud as heck on the concrete around here.

I'm kinda down to two options and wondering what folks think might serve my requirements:

1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on the OEM wheel. I'd probably sell the Bridgestones - not really interested in swapping back and forth on the factory wheel.
2) General G-Max AS-03 on a 16" Sparco Assetto Gara. Benefit here is that I retain the Bridgestones for summer, but...it's my daily and not likely to be tracked/auto-crossed (I have a Miata for that) so I'm not sure how much of a "real" advantage that is. I figure dropping to a 16' wheel might tame the sound a bit - and the ride, although as stated, I have no complaints about the ride as it is.

The Michelin seems like the way to go as far as retaining most of the handling quality (enough for a daily) - just not sure about the noise. I'd be going with the Generals if I drop to a 16" just 'cause there doesn't seem to be a Pilot Sport A/S 3 that fits (at least, not through Tire Rack or anyplace else I've looked).

·
Registered
369 Posts
Good summer tires will out perform no season (all season) in the rain. The bridgestones are just bad cold weather and wet tires. Get pilot super sports and you'll be fine in the rain.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your main issue is really termperature. Under something like 40 deg F, your summer tires are a bit rock like (at least mine are). I live in the PNW. I have Blizzak studlesss tires on dedicated wheels on all our vehicles in the winter. It does not snow much where I am, but it can get cold. Just easier to put them on Nov to early April and they work great throughout the winter in snow, wet, ice, etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm...hadn't really thought about dedicated winters. That's not a bad idea. I'd be ready for the two snow days a year, too (I'm down in Pierce County so we're running in about the same conditions).

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you are going to be switching wheels anyway you may as well opt for a set of summers and a set of snow/winter performance tires. Winter tires help in cold weather and icy conditions as well as ice.

Personally I went for all-seasons because I will be getting a set of track tires and didn't want 3 sets of wheels (winter, summer, and track), but if you are only using it on the street I'd have 2 sets that are both ideal for the appropriate seasons.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always did the summer & winter tire thing when I was up by Seattle. In addition to just being better, having winters is extremely helpful when headed to the slopes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So for rain/wet...where's the line betwen summer and winter? Feedback seems to be that summer tires should do OK with rain...that hasn't necessarily been my experience - but perhaps I'm misinterpreting and it's just the cold that's caused me traction issues? We rarely get snow - although I do like the idea of winter tires so I can cope with those few days a year, but...

·
Registered
773 Posts
DO NOT BUY ALL SEASONS...

You already have summer tires so keep them until they wear out. No sense in wasting money.

Buy winters. You want to buy tires anyways so buy winters. There is a reason that a lot of people call All Season tires No Season tires. Just get yourself a set of winters and be safe in the cold as well as have tires that exploit the major features of the car in the summer.

Read this;
Winter Tire Test - Performance Test - Road & Track

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DO NOT BUY ALL SEASONS...

You already have summer tires so keep them until they wear out. No sense in wasting money.

Buy winters. You want to buy tires anyways so buy winters. There is a reason that a lot of people call All Season tires No Season tires. Just get yourself a set of winters and be safe in the cold as well as have tires that exploit the major features of the car in the summer.

Read this;
Thanks for the link. This approach makes sense. I actually don't want to buy tires! Much rather spend that $$$ on an Accessport...but, if I wreck on a 30 degree morning, there's no car to buy an Accessport for...better to be safe, and there have been a few mornings on the way to work where the car was not as well-planted as it usually is.

I appreciate all the advice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
One of the problems is that there are not a lot of 16 inch options as I recall. In fact, when you go to Tirerack right now, they only show 15 inch options for this car. The positive is that there are a good number of 15 inch wheel/tire options, if you can live with the look. Personally, I have no problem with that. I'd just get something like the MSW Type 19s with the Blizzak WS60s in 195/55-15. There's other maybe better looking options, but winter wheels are winter wheels. Taller, skinnier tires --> better. I just want to get through the winter with my cars in one piece.

·
Registered
244 Posts
For winter tires i went with 15inch rims and the Michelin x-ice. I love them. they are great in the wet and snow, they also do well at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just placed my order so my car wont be here for 2 months (they say 4-6 weeks but it is a salesman talking). My first obstacle that I did not think about until just before purchasing is that it comes with high perf summer tires. I live in michigan and it was -24 last week. I want to get dedicated winter tires but are there any winter tires for the stock rims? If so will I be putting a huge dent in my bank right after i bought my new car just to get some? I have never bought anything but all season tires on previous vehicles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I put all season's on my FiST, Continental ExtremeContact DWS and here's why.

I live in Denver CO which may surprise people to hear that we don't actually get snow that often, in the Metro Area. Lot's of cold but ever winter I only have to commute in the snow maybe 10 times, and that's pretty generous.

I wanted the all seasons because I needed a tire that would be good in the cold but still be fun on those 58 degree sunny days that we get in Denver. In that kind of weather a winter tire is not going to give me the performance I bought the FiST for.

Also not planning on driving this up to ski, I've got my wife's Escape for that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just placed my order so my car wont be here for 2 months (they say 4-6 weeks but it is a salesman talking). My first obstacle that I did not think about until just before purchasing is that it comes with high perf summer tires. I live in michigan and it was -24 last week. I want to get dedicated winter tires but are there any winter tires for the stock rims? If so will I be putting a huge dent in my bank right after i bought my new car just to get some? I have never bought anything but all season tires on previous vehicles.
I just bought 15" alloy wheels with snow tires mounted from Tire Rack for $675 shipped to my door (net price $605 shipped if you include the $70 prepaid master card that comes with it). I didn't get TPMS sensors, but that would add another $130 if the tire pressure light annoys you too much. Since I'm installing them myself, that is the out the door price.

Even though I got one of the cheapest snow tires they sell, even the worst cheap snow tire is going to outperform All Season, especially if you live in Michigan (which I do as well). Plus next time you get tires, you already have wheels ready to go.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...eModel=Winter+Carving+Edge&partnum=86TR5WCEXL Tires, 185/60R15 (Most people run 195 width tires though, I prefer narrow for deep snow traction)
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...utoModel=Fiesta+ST&autoYear=2014&autoModClar= Wheels.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I put all season's on my FiST, Continental ExtremeContact DWS and here's why.

I live in Denver CO which may surprise people to hear that we don't actually get snow that often, in the Metro Area. Lot's of cold but ever winter I only have to commute in the snow maybe 10 times, and that's pretty generous.

I wanted the all seasons because I needed a tire that would be good in the cold but still be fun on those 58 degree sunny days that we get in Denver. In that kind of weather a winter tire is not going to give me the performance I bought the FiST for.

Also not planning on driving this up to ski, I've got my wife's Escape for that.
Common misconception that the winter tires do not give the same performance. Read the article below. It is about the difference between Summers and Winters on the track on a Focus ST. Surprisingly the difference between the laps is only 2.2 seconds.

Some people would go nuts and say that 2.2 seconds is big...its not. When was the last time you timed your laps at a track event? If you did then you surely are a minority. The difference however isn't made on a track. It is made when you have to make that panic stop on the highway when the A/S tires would just slide (even the best do) and your Winter tires would grip thus saving a lot of heartache.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If snow is not the issue, wear out the Bridgestones and go to the Michlein Pilot Sports year round. I have had the Pilot Sports on a Mazda 3 and they were the best handling tires I have had and mileage was extended as well. I like my Bridgestones, but they can get a little sketchy in the rain and cold. Winter tires are definitely not for any kind of performance. Besides, you will wear them down in no time and have a lousy all season tire for the last 25-30% of the tread life.

·
Registered
58 Posts
...The difference however isn't made on a track. It is made when you have to make that panic stop on the highway when the A/S tires would just slide (even the best do) and your Winter tires would grip thus saving a lot of heartache.

Ding. It's all about the ambiest temperature and surface conditions. You want to brake straight and in control when it's wet. I mean really, who in their right mind is racing around on city streets when it is cold, slick, maybe icy. And if you think that two-lane country highways are fun in he winter, well, use care. That combination of cold, slick, twisty, blind corners is is the most deadly of all.

[Disclaimer: Old guy with a young, inexperienced driver in the family talkin' here.]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ding. It's all about the ambiest temperature and surface conditions. You want to brake straight and in control when it's wet. I mean really, who in their right mind is racing around on city streets when it is cold, slick, maybe icy. And if you think that two-lane country highways are fun in he winter, well, use care. That combination of cold, slick, twisty, blind corners is is the most deadly of all.

[Disclaimer: Old guy with a young, inexperienced driver in the family talkin' here.]
This is a great note as well - I haven't felt less confident when I'm trying to take blind corners, I've felt less confident when it's 30 degrees on a Tuesday morning and I'm doing 35 on my way to the train station. I'll save the zipping around for the summer, but I do want to be safe in the winter.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback on this and I think there is a lot of great info in this thread.

Last question: Blizzak WS 60 or Michelin X-Ice Xi3?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts