Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I attempted to put on my downpipe but could not get the front 02 sensor out. Fought it 3 hrs and had to face defeat. Help please? Do I need to get a 02 wrench or socket? Go from bottom or top or car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
55 Posts
Sometimes they are a pita. You can try warming the car. Helps expand the metal. I doubt you can get a torch to the pipe safely but that's worked for me on an exhaust. Can try some PB buster, or penetrating lube. A o2 socket is helpful but buy a decent one as they have a tendency to snap.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My problem was I just couldn't get a open wrench on it. Or any sort of tool to turn it. But I was wondering is a socket or wrench is better for this application.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I disconnects the 02 plugs so I could turn them. But the problem is in order to get to the 3rd bolt on top you have to rotate the sheild. In order to rotate it you have to take the the front 02 out I fought it for hours trying to just get the hole DP off the car. Think I said every swear word in the book. Lol . So I'm trying to see if other people that have done it used a 02 socket and if they went from bottom or top of car.

· Registered
67 Posts
try using PB blaster (not wd40) and soak it for about 15 minutes before trying to go at it. It's better to do it cold because metal expands when warm and raises the chance of stripping the thread. I also would Highly recommend using the o2 socket. You can rent one from local autozone.

· Registered
153 Posts
Yup, I haven't had much luck with O2 sockets. Liquid wrench/ penetrating oil is your friend. Douse it and wait. If you can get an open ended wrench to seat, tap the free end with a hammer (like a slow paced impact wrench)

Good luck

· Registered
62 Posts
A downpipe is my next mod. Some of my more mechanically talented friends offered to help. Maybe I'll be leaning towards a shop installing this. Subscribed.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,150 Posts
I used WD40 after the car was slightly warm, put an o2 socket and ratchet on there with a breaker bar, and got it in like 15 minutes. It was starting to round off a bit, so i had to be sort of careful

· Registered
374 Posts
I would get the part number of O2 sensor in case you strip it. Me personally after the experience on my last car would just buy a new sensor and leave the factory one in the factory DP. Especially if you plan to go back to stock in the future.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Also, if you use the o2 socket, make sure while your wrenching on that bastard your also putting downward pressure on the socket/sensor so it doesnt start to lift

· Registered
488 Posts
damn what a PITA....yep shop install for me :cool:

· Registered
1,150 Posts
This cheap little thing has done 3 downpipe for me. I think I got it at autozone

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,234 Posts
So bear with me if I missed this and am too lazy tonight to look it up in the Helms manual can you get the DP out with O2 probes still in and take them out after the pipe is out of the car and on the garage floor ??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.