Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
May name is Jason Ganze and I live in Texas. I am an old guy and experienced the first hot hatches. My dad had an 84 Wolfsburg Scirocco that he gave me when I went to college. I learned to drive a stick at 12 and was heel and toeing that car, driving at 10/10ths in a newly built subdivision with just streets and no houses built yet. Not real smart but I did learn to drive well at least. I banged a piston on a valve and it developed a miss, my dad just smiled and never said a thing about it. We just fixed it. He was always a car guy.

Just bought the angry little thing yesterday with the nice 0% financing and it should come home today. I have been driving a 97 f350 crew cab, long bed, gas 5.8 truck for years and getting nearly 4 times the mileage and many more times the fun is going to be nice. I am looking forward to the drive to and from work instead of merely tolerating navigating the the no-ac, no-radio aircraft carrier through the urban battleground.

I will run it through my super secret and ultimately awesome ( i.e., quirky and ocd... ) break in method and change the oil in the first 100 miles. I have to have a hitch for my bikes but the second move will be the Cobb AP since they are right down the street and I may have them dyno tune it. Other than that, I am not sure what the biggest bang for the buck will be but I will search the site and make a plan. I am happy to just have the car, but I will be totally satisfied with 200-225 reliable whp.

I will mostly lurk, but thought I would introduce myself.

ganze

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's home and I was stunned when I gunned it hard in second gear. I was expecting a slight woosh and it really moved. 0-60 may not be dominant but that mid range torque is where it's at to have some fun.

So I will get on it pretty hard tomorrow and put some miles on it and then change the oil. Seating those rings and getting out the metal.... will magnetize the drain-plug until I can find a decently priced magnetic plug.

Full synthetic only.

I knew the salesman at Ford before I bought a car from him. He hooked me up with a really good price which I won't post. He said something about a guy at the dealership who owns a fiesta st and knows how to "get more power" out of the settings or something. Sounds like a non-car guy talking about cars to me. I told him to have the guy text me what he does. If it's something super ninja secret or easy like adding 3-4 degrees of advance timing to my old lightning for 5-10hp with good gas, I will let all of you know.

I had my mid life crisis early and adopted a 1000cc sport bike: after that, nothing is really that fast. After a huge crash doing something non-motor related and the subsequent knee reconstruction at 41, I sold that bike for a basket case 83 cb1100f which I am rebuilding.

So after all that drama with two wheels, I will say that this angry little b is a fun machine. Going truly fast is scary and dangerous as hell, gunning around in an angry little ball of hate is fun. Any adrenaline based fun is a win at my stage of life with 3 young kids, a devoted and beautiful wife, a stupid mortgage, a "respected professional" career to salvage and all of our futures to protect. A second and third gear burn in a little hot hatch that I can carry my vert bike and longboard locked up in every day is a total win.

I don't know what much of this board is like, but I come from from ADV Rider Forum which is "rich and colorful" and a place where squids (young idiots who will wind up as greasy spots on the freeway after incredibly dumb motorcycle riding) are mercilessly e-tarred and feathered via the world wide web, but where a true badass can share his exploits and be praised/insulted mercilessly (which is the biker equivalent of praise). But on this board I will stay fairly tame and offer my off-center point of view with as much sensitivity as I can muster; just in case there are more than a few millennial's here who have been given trophies for participating and existing in life.

Salud all!

I love my little car. I hope you like yours too.

ganze

·
Registered
427 Posts
Welcome congrats on the car... Looking forward to more of your colourful posts. :)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
You'll love the COBB AP for sure, buy it sooner rather than later.

I know what you mean about going fast on bikes... once I started riding, I knew a car would never be (straight-line) fast to me again, so I went seeking fun lol

·
Registered
545 Posts
I agree about the looks but this desire for an arbitrarily picked horse power output is strange.
I think people (myself included) are saying 200 because it seems like it's a somewhat realistic number that we can get to. 250 seems like a stretch, 200-220 seems more doable. Intake, exhaust and tune should get you around there without too much trouble, and there's only so far to push this motor without doing more extensive work.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to the forums. :) Are you from the DFW area or Austin? I'm up here in Dallas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I wanted a focus I would have bought one, and the fiesta has 0% financing right now. Also, I never leave any of my vehicles stock, it makes sense to have a reasonable goal. If I had bought a focus, I would be talking about 250-300 whp.

Good to see some adv love out there. jo mamma is one of my favorite internet spots.

And I am in the Dallas area too

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
changed the oil at 88 miles today and I was reminded of why I do that: Metal particles throughout. Moat people who think changing oil early is a waste of time, all it takes is a pan full of metal to change your mind. Just think of what a pan full of particles flowing through your engine for 5000 miles would do for your compression.

Some cars come from the factory with more hp than others, put to 10hp or so more than the rest. Some come weaker than others, 5-10 down from average. I want to do all I can to be in the first group.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome. Im in Texas too, though El Paso is essentially Mexico. Congrats on the new ride. Definitely go with an AP if you want to get the most out of the ST.

·
Registered
545 Posts
changed the oil at 88 miles today and I was reminded of why I do that: Metal particles throughout. Moat people who think changing oil early is a waste of time, all it takes is a pan full of metal to change your mind. Just think of what a pan full of particles flowing through your engine for 5000 miles would do for your compression.

Some cars come from the factory with more hp than others, put to 10hp or so more than the rest. Some come weaker than others, 5-10 down from average. I want to do all I can to be in the first group.
Yup doing it very early is a good idea. There's a long long thread on this forum with tons of detail and solid information on why. It's a good read:

http://www.fiestast.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2417

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts