Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been going back and forth on what track wheels to get for my FiST. I figured I'd throw up here what I am getting and then report back on how they do. I looked at a lot of different wheels; a set of stock wheels, the Ford Racing Euro wheels, some Sparcos, and then finally the OZ Ultraleggera.

I settled on the OZ offering and then had to choose a size. The 16" wheels were quickly eliminated because the tire size stinks (205/45R16) and the nearest size with decent offerings was 55-series and that is 6.1% taller "gearing" which kinda stinks. So that left either the 15" or 17". The 15" was what I settled on mostly on account of cost and weight (which obviously some of the weight goes to tire sidewall instead).

The nominal size for the wheel is 205/55R15 which again doesn't give a lot of choices. But going down to a 50-series gives 1.6% shorter "gearing" and a ton of good options (BFG Rival, Nitto NT01, and Toyo R888). I went back and forth between the Rivals and the R888. The NT01 was dismissed because they were the same price as the R888 (once you figure in Tirerack can mount the other options for free). The Rivals get great reviews, but I've heard mixed opinions on wet performance. The R888 is a true r-compound tire and has better wet traction. And since they'll be my only track tire they needed to at least not cause me the float down the track.

So that's that for now. 15" is small, but I'm not going for looks. I'll keep everyone posted on how they do.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
for 16 inch sizes you might want to look at a 205 50 16.... LOTS of extreme performance choices there
for 15 inch sizes look at 225 45 15...Rivals fit the bill here along with Rs3 (my preference if you can find them - more due in april)

Avoid the R1R for this car. With such a high front weight bias and lots of torque, you will be chunking the tires unless you are shaving them. They dont deal well with heat and cycle out quickly.

Having driven in the wet on r888 in anger... there is no way in hell it is better than any street tire in rain.

If you are looking for a rain setup only, Continental Extremecontact DW is the way to go in your size selection.

Otherwise there is the Re-11

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
for 16 inch sizes you might want to look at a 205 50 16.... LOTS of extreme performance choices there
for 15 inch sizes look at 225 45 15...Rivals fit the bill here along with Rs3 (my preference if you can find them - more due in april)

Avoid the R1R for this car. With such a high front weight bias and lots of torque, you will be chunking the tires unless you are shaving them. They dont deal well with heat and cycle out quickly.

Having driven in the wet on r888 in anger... there is no way in hell it is better than any street tire in rain.

If you are looking for a rain setup only, Continental Extremecontact DW is the way to go in your size selection.

Thanks for the thoughts. The 205/50R16 has a few extreme summers but only full slicks in the r-compound world. I want to have a choice of different DOT R's.

With the 225's I was worried about rubbing and for HDPE's I don't need the widest possible tire. Will they fit?

Yeah, this isn't a wet only setup. It is something with mostly dry track in mind but at least be ok for me to run in the wet (avoiding standing water) with dialed back speeds. Again...it's not racing...I don't win HPDE's :)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
f

How do the RS3 do in the cold say like mid 40's low 50'sdegF On a Auto X type run ?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
556 Posts
How do the RS3 do in the cold say like mid 40's low 50'sdegF On a Auto X type run ?
It will depend on the aggregate of the surface.

If you are autoXing on a sealed surface (blacktop/asphalt), it is going to be slippery for most, if not all, of your run. Using a co-driver might help depending on if they are making you stick to the 5-min rest rule.

If you are playing on a concrete surface, you'd probably be alright after a few gates.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya more desire than my work schedule allows but will be tricking the AutoX and Hi Speed AutoX not sure i will do any HPDE this year or not .. Darn work ;)
What is hi speed auto cross? Maybe I should look into that. I love HPDE's but they are expensive and with a new baby it's tough. I did 9 days last year (my first season). This year I'm shoot for 5 and an open track day at the end of the season.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Not sure they do this everywhere but it is sorta close to my area .
MCSCC Hi Speed AutoX LINKY
Minimal Commitment -
Our High Speed Autocross program is specifically for drivers who want to compete in their street car without a huge investment in additional equipment and without the threat of rubbing fenders with other drivers. Regardless of what car you have, we have a class you can compete in. We can even give you your lap times without requiring you to purchase additional equipment.

Speed - there's no feeling like it
You're in second gear and approaching red-line. Quick shift to third and start building RPM's again. Somewhere around here the big hand of the law firmly says "that's fast enough". Except you're not on a public road now. You're on a twisty, 2 mile long race track with your street car and the RPM's are still building. And now you're shifting to fourth...

Competition - this isn't just another track day
The only thing better than speed, is competition. Knowing at the end of the day, you did more than just drive around a race course: you learned, you gained, you had fun, and you competed. Our competition rules keep you racing against cars of similar potential so race results come down to who is the better driver.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
556 Posts
This isn't labelled as a high speed autoX, but a local county sheriff allows us use of their training facility >

·
Registered
656 Posts
Some great info here!

The ZII is discontinued, Tirerack has some good stock but the replacement is not going to be out before the stock is all gone:(

Since I am building more for street and HPDE instead of solo I want to ensure to have well supported sidewalls so looking at the 215/40/17 ADO8 R which is a bit better in the wet than the other high end summer only tires, 17x7.5 wheels(8 wide would be my choice if any light weight ones were available)

I will have a fair amount more power and am a late on the brakes so might have to do a BBK upfront if the cooling ducts I build are not enough for the stock brakes, why I keep looking back at 17's.

I would go 16" but there are practically no tires available except the ZII which will have a gap in availability and more limited on a BBK if needed.

I have been doing this for 45+ years now, 510 Datsuns for 10 years, my first FWD was an 03 1ZZ Matrix, 250WHP. It was the first turbo 1ZZ, usually .001 second or so out of second place in SM in SoCal on 235 V700 17x8 RPF1 wheels, top time in class was always the 8 time national champ in his E36M3, closest I got was 1.5 seconds on a very fast 90 second course, I loved the layouts the Vette guys did!

I do not have the ability to carry track wheels due to weight issues in our 43' toyhauler(balanced load, no place to store them up front) so looking for the best all around setup I can put on the car.

If I decide I need a proper LSD in the future I will see if I can change the final drive ratio so I can run something like a 235/40/17 or whatever is best at the time as I think I could make them fit with well rolled fenders, coilovers with spring perches in the right place, camber just right, etc......

Rick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts