Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a REVO stage 1 tune on my FIST about two months ago. Loved the tune and how fast the FIST can go. but about a week ago sitting idle at a roundabout I got a engine malfunction service now notification and the FIST wasn't hitting boost.
I took it back to the tuner and the guy checked if the tune was still there and he said it was, might be a engine problem. I then took it to Ford service dealer on a Monday for them to check it out and hopefully it would be covered under warranty.
Told them about the tune (I wish I didnt) and they kept the car for a week. On the Thursday THREE days after they called me and concluded that the tune is the cause of the PCM of going faulty and were quoting me $1800 for a new one and I wasn't covered under warranty because of the tune. I don't have $1800 so I didn't go through with it. the next day I picked it up and I was CHARGED $847 DIAGNOSIS WITHOUT TELLING ME IN THE BEGINNING!!

Here are the details of the diagnosis
Carried out check on malfunction light
Found code p2297 air intake leak
Carried out all checks on all turbo hoses & found all secure & OK
Carried out all checks on turbo, Actuator & sensors found all within specs.
Carried out all checks while monitoring PIDS all sensors within parameters
Carried out pinpoint test & confirmed internal PCM failure
attempted to erase & reprogram VID block. Attempted several methods & failed
contacted ford hotline and submitted findings
confirmed vehicle requires PCM. No FORD warranty as vehicle was flash tuned causing fault

So I took it to the tuner and the guy re flashed it. It was working! it was boosting up! after a few mins engine malfunction came up and no boost.
the guy gave me a full refund and tuned it back to stock. that worked it was boosting normal then after a few mins. Engine malfunction came up and no boost.
Tuner guy said bullshit that ford checked the engine and etc

So trying to figure out whats wrong with my FIST if its a Intake leak or a faulty pcm

·
Registered
728 Posts
So from what I gather a PCM = powertrain control module, otherwise known as an ECU.
So how long had you been running the tune before this happened?
Any other mods?

·
Registered
728 Posts
How much had you driven it in those 2 months then?

Who tuned it?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Seems odd and a little sus that when you took it back to them they, checked if the tune was still there, and said it might be an engine problem.
Surely they would have the ability to read any error codes you had.
But if Ford have gone through your car and couldn't find any mechanical issues, looks like you're gonna have to cough up for a new ECU, unless you can pin it on the Revo Map or the tuner, there's not alot you can do as you modified the exact part that gave up, which voided any warranty on it.
Ford would have known it was after being tuned, even if you had returned to stock before bringing it to them, every time it is flashed it stores it in the memory.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So Sorry, but you voided the warranty. .. Thus not only are you responsible for the cost of the voided part (PCM) but also all work done not only to do the replacement, but the diagnostics as well. It's really NOT the dealer putting the screws to you as much as it is the TUNER to whom you took it. The part may have been marginal before, but you'll never know.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yeah, Ford isn't going to help you out there. You asked them to tell you what's wrong with your car - they did, and it wasn't covered by warranty, so you're on the hook for them tracking down the problems with your tune. Take this up with Revo, tell them the dealership gave you an official diagnosis as the PCM causing the vehicle failure, and demand they fix it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hmm I think I got the same error when I put the MAF adapter the wrong way around (Though this was with an aftermarket intake). Will have to confirm, but what's the chances the MAF isn't secured/tightened? I'm sure the OEM setup only can go in one way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I just checked the maf sensor and took it off and back on and it seems fine to me but I'm no mechanic. Just noticed that the revs was going a lil higher than usual then back down to normal.
I also got a email back from the tuner telling me the details of Fault Code P2297. Saying it is nothing to do with the tune but faults in your oxygen sensors and my ford service dealer should have checked this.
He gave me a screenshot of the table with the fault code info.

So right now I'm stuck in between a blaming game between the tuner and Ford service. And I don't know who to believe. I feel like Ford service didn't really check the fault code properly and just focused on the tune causing the problem.
I am thinking of going to a another mechanic for another opinion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Based on your statements, you do NOT need a new ECU. You DO need to pull and clean the front O2 sensor with electrical contact cleaner FIRST and if that doesn't clear up the problem, replace the front O2 sensor. It will be expensive as it is a wide-band sensor.

When the error code is cleared, re-install the REVO tune and enjoy the car.

Btw, NEVER, EVER, EVER trust a dealer to do any valid troubleshooting because they DO NOT troubleshoot on warranty jobs. They are parts changers and that's ALL they get paid to do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I live in the States and my faith in Ford Dealers for servicing our cars is zero. I gave them a chance, on good faith, to put winter tires on the car I bought w/summer tires on 1/31/14 and they ruined three wheels despite having promised me that they could do the work. That told me everything I need to know.

Since then I've used a local independent shop I know & trust for all maintenance and upgrades. The car runs great and I don't have to worry about what I'll find when I pick up my car.

I'd really encourage you to find the same, and I also question the huge bill Ford charged you for (mis)diagnosing what's going on. I'd ask for an itemized bill with each procedure specified and the exact time incurred. If it turns out that they are wrong, or didn't actually do the work, I guess that you have the equivalent of our small claims court to recover what you spent.

Not to slam Ford, as the car is a clear winner, but they really need to ride better herd over their dealers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Forzda2 ill have a look at the O2 sensors this weekend. Yeah I'm going to start taking my car to a local mechanic now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I too wouldn't trust a thing the dealership says, most are cowboys.

I almost took my FiST to Ford Servicing for my first major 15,000km, was totally stressing about it thus bailed at the 11th hour.
I found via recommendations a great local guy that's honest and does really thorough professional
work, couldn't be happier. He was also $80 cheaper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I should update you guys on this post.
I ended up buying a ecu from the wreckers and bringing my car back to a different FORD service centre.
Got them to reprogram it to my car. That didn't work, still no boost. So I ended up forking out the money for a new ecu because that is what they recommended. They installed that and reprogrammed it and that still didn't work still no boost. So they looked at the fault code and fixed the fault and that worked.

So to me it looks like my old ecu wasn't faulty and it was the Hose fuel vapour.
If FORD looked at the fault code fault in the first place instead of assuming the tune caused problem.
I would still have my $2000+ in my bank account.
The Hose fuel vapour costed $206..

So here is the description they put in the invoice.

C/S: programming ecu supply by customer. He is bringing two keys
Tried programming ECU supplied by customer. No good. Supplies and fitted new ecu and then programmed keys.
Inspected PID data, Found lean; found vacume leak evident due to vac control valve failure (found due to tune).
replaced vacume hose. cleared data and codes then reassessed operation: all running fine.

THE PARTS
MODULE
HOSE FUEL VAPOUR

My car is fine and is boosting as normal. But I really do miss the tune.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been thinking about it but I'm bothered anymore. I'm pretty sure they're going say we checked everything and this could of happened from the time they diagnosed it to when it got fixed. which was like around 2 month period in between. I did go back to them asking for my money back from not notifying me about the diagnosis fee. I asked fair trading for advise they told me to ask for my money back. When I mentioned this. the guy at FORD got all defensive and said " FORD is a big company we wouldn't wanna go after you." So its all a big headache. CBF.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts