Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been viewing "price paid" threads on this forum as well as some focus ST forums on the web. It seems as though you guys are paying as much for your Fiestas as many are paying for their Focus'. In some cases it seems like people have been able to get new Focus ST's for around 20k-21k, intrestingly my local dealer has a base, no options Fiesta for 23k.:rolleyes:

Why are the prices so similar when the Focus is supposed to be a bit more upmarket from the Fiesta?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've been viewing "price paid" threads on this forum as well as some focus ST forums on the web. It seems as though you guys are paying as much for your Fiestas as many are paying for their Focus'. In some cases it seems like people have been able to get new Focus ST's for around 20k-21k, intrestingly my local dealer has a base, no options Fiesta for 23k.:rolleyes:

Why are the prices so similar when the Focus is supposed to be a bit more upmarket from the Fiesta?
I think I speak for many that choose the FiST in that I could have gotten the FoST, but I liked the smaller size, lighter weight, simplicity of the FiST.

FoST is more like the hot rod, the muscle car. The FiST is more like the nimble hot pocket hatch, love them both but different strokes for different folks. I consider the FiST/FoST to be siblings, and I think owners are both are very receptive of each other.

Just a curious personal observation, because of the relative "high" price of the FiST relative to some other choices out there, it tends to draw the true enthusiast crowd, as oppose to the FoST that most see as just something sporty. You must really love a FiST to want to buy one, as oppose to just be attracted to the FoST for cost / benefit ratio or power.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just bought my Fiesta St and I could have had a Focus ST for the exact same price (for some reason they were heavily discounting the Focus St at the local dealership). To me the Focus did seem much faster but the Fiesta put more of a smile on my face. The fiesta seemed more nimble and fun. My previous car was a 2004 Mini Cooper S (JWC) and I do like smaller cars so that had something to do with my choice. The gas mileage in the Fiesta should also be better and I do drive 110 miles a day (so that tends to add up). There are also many automobile magazines that like the Fiesta over the Focus (for similar reasons). At the end of the day its all about what makes you happy though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that the FIST is a bit more enthusiast targeted. I think that ford screwed up a bit with the pricing though. If the Fiesta were actually selling around 19k-20k it would be the best hot hatch deal on sale today. The Fiat abarth and Non-turbo Mini Cooper would be blown out of the water at that price point. Currently FIST prices seem to be like what FRS/BRZ prices were last year, too high due to initial demand.

FWIW, I drive a 2009 Cooper S, and I would have seriously cross shopped the Fiesta if they existed at the time.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I got my FiST for under 20k... Winter is a good time to buy since they only come with summer tires. As the above posters have said, at the same exact price point I too would choose the Fiesta over the Focus.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went in planning on getting a FoST, drove the FiST and came home with it instead. Price was the same, but the lighter weight was extremely noticeable even on a <20 minute drive. Plus, the FoST was shockingly large once I got in it. Looked it up afterwards and it was wider and taller than the Mazda 6s wagon I was driving at the time. I've always preferred smaller vehicles.

The salesman thought I was nuts because with all the discounts/rebates/whatever I could get into the lower model FoSTs for a couple grand less than the FiST and the ST3 was only slightly more expensive. He was also pushing the GT500 and Raptor on me like mad (Since I was buying, I figured I'd go test drive all their performance models just for shits and giggles...felt bad for a few seconds since they had to pull the GT500 out of the showroom).

I liked the FiST more, even at the same price.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I went in planning on getting a FoST, drove the FiST and came home with it instead. Price was the same, but the lighter weight was extremely noticeable even on a <20 minute drive. Plus, the FoST was shockingly large once I got in it. Looked it up afterwards and it was wider and taller than the Mazda 6s wagon I was driving at the time. I've always preferred smaller vehicles.

The salesman thought I was nuts because with all the discounts/rebates/whatever I could get into the lower model FoSTs for a couple grand less than the FiST and the ST3 was only slightly more expensive. He was also pushing the GT500 and Raptor on me like mad (Since I was buying, I figured I'd go test drive all their performance models just for shits and giggles...felt bad for a few seconds since they had to pull the GT500 out of the showroom).

I liked the FiST more, even at the same price.
This is also my experience, my salesperson was pushing the FoST like crazy, I could have easily walked out with an ST3 at the same price point and then some haha.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fiesta ST JUST came out so they can put up MSRP and people will drive from mile away to get it. Focus ST has been out for longer AND can be found used now. So dealers are discounting them to move.

Also everyone liked the Focus ST, everyone LOVES the Fiesta ST.

I came from older Honda cars (1996-2000 and have driven older), and this car brings me back to that type of fun. Which is saying ALOT.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It was not hard decision...I drove and liked the Focus ST, but it was just a little too big for what I had in mind...that includes autocrossing and rocketing around some of the fun and challenging roads in Eastern TN and neighboring N.C. My nephew bought the Focus ST and loves it. Not to take anything away from that and because I didn't need a "daily driver", I decided that the Fiesta ST was my best choice. The biggest disappointment is the long lead times between ordering and ETA a car (there is another thread here that explores to that topic). As for pricing, I haven't seen Focus ST pricing being discounted here, so the Fiesta ST pricing is still slotted just below the Focus in this area.

One more interesting fact...last weekend's edition of the Wall Street Journal included a front page article titled "Auto Makers Rebound as Buyers Go Big". It's worth a read, and within all the data reported, Ford announced that for December, sales of sub-compact cars fell...Fiesta sales were off by 20% and Focus was off by 31%. The implication by the writer was that small car sales will be displaced by increases in larger cars and trucks. I hope Ford doesn't decide to throttle back on ST's as a result.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the middle of this debate right now. Not certain which direction to go and I suppose it will come down to which I can get a better deal on. Considering there are several Focus ST's at local dealerships and just1 Fiesta ST...I'm guessing it's focus. We shall see which wins when and if I can actually test drive them here in the middle of winter.

For me the bigger Focus would be better for the rare occasion I have the family in my " drive to work" car, and for mountain biking (I can fit my bike, minus front wheel, in the hatch of my VW Golf and hope to do same in Focus). Either car can get a roof rack if needed though.

But, the MPG's and supposed cheaper price of the Fiesta would be better to run as the fun commuter car. At 6'2" 225, I'm not the biggest guy around but I am worried about the size of the car. Looking forward to seeing one in person!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know this much. If they put that 2.0 ecoboost in the fiesta (like in the rally car) I would sell my Mini in a heartbeat. This is the first year for the ST in the U.S. It should be exciting to see where it goes and if we get a 3 door version like Europe.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I bought my FiST over a FoST because of its small size and power to weight ratio. Its the closest thing to a lotus for me since I cant afford one lol. If I were looking for a bigger car with more power I dont think the FoST would have been my choice anyway. Its too station wagon looking for my liking.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
But, the MPG's and supposed cheaper price of the Fiesta would be better to run as the fun commuter car. At 6'2" 225, I'm not the biggest guy around but I am worried about the size of the car. Looking forward to seeing one in person!
Im 5'10 and 215 pounds (pant size 36) and the seats hug a bit tight in the shoulder but lots of headroom and legroom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im 5'10 and 215 pounds (pant size 36) and the seats hug a bit tight in the shoulder but lots of headroom and legroom.

Thanks for the info! Recaro, or "regular" seats?

Stopping to see one on the way home from work...maybe. They had it on the website yesterday but don't see it online today. :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think I speak for many that choose the FiST in that I could have gotten the FoST, but I liked the smaller size, lighter weight, simplicity of the FiST.
+1
Also lower running costs for more grins is a plus.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd pick the FiST as well. For me the FoST would be a lateral move at best; it is not as fast as my MS3 and it lacks a true LSD.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am not a big fan of the interior of the FiST . I would get used to it and may get one later in the year for a daily. I love my FoST. It has a lot more power potential. Also I don't get the comment about more standard features in the FiST. The FoST has more options for sure. And I like the gage pod on the dash of the FoST.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I am not a big fan of the interior of the FiST . I would get used to it and may get one later in the year for a daily. I love my FoST. It has a lot more power potential. Also I don't get the comment about more standard features in the FiST. The FoST has more options for sure. And I like the gage pod on the dash of the FoST.
Standard features and options are 2 completely different things.
MFT, automatic climate control, the interior lighting (hate it or like it whatever) and Sony premium sound system. That alone on the FoST runs you an extra $2505

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't like the interior of the Focus. The steering wheel controls are too busy and the dash is huge. I feel like I have MORE space in the Fiesta. The only things the Focus has that I envy are the fold flat seats and the engine.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts