Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally my car will not go into first. I'll put the clutch in and attempt to put the shifter into 1st but it won't let me. I'd have to release the clutch then depress it again then I can go into 1st. Anyone else run into this issue? This has happened to me probably like 5 to 6 times and I've driven it for nearly 3k miles. Also this is my first manual car so I don't know if this is possibly a normal occurrence?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Occasionally my car will not go into first. I'll put the clutch in and attempt to put the shifter into 1st but it won't let me. I'd have to release the clutch then depress it again then I can go into 1st. Anyone else run into this issue? This has happened to me probably like 5 to 6 times and I've driven it for nearly 3k miles. Also this is my first manual car so I don't know if this is possibly a normal occurrence?
You're not the only one. This happens to me too. Even though it is an occasional nuisance, it doesn't necessarily mean anything's wrong. It is likely just a consequence of not having syncros on first gear (most manuals don't). You'll have this happen when you try to get it into reverse sometimes too.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Reactions: rodmoe

·
Registered
773 Posts
All cars do this. Sometimes it is harder to shift into first because the transmission isn't warmed up yet or if you are at a stop double clutch into 1st and it will go in. Or just put a little bit of pressure on the gear lever and it will pop into 1st when it wants to.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is normal, the supplemental Fiesta ST manual states not to shift into first going faster than 15 mph (24 km/h) which can cause grinding or it not wanting to go into first gear. Sometimes when your rolling up to a stop it can be easy to downshift when slightly above this speed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Way back when (1990) when I bought my Corrado the dealership owner told me to drop it in fourth before going into first or reverse. I've been doing that with great success on every car since.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Way back when (1990) when I bought my Corrado the dealership owner told me to drop it in fourth before going into first or reverse. I've been doing that with great success on every car since.
Hmm, in 90, that would have been a G60, force-fed four-cylinder version of the best handling fwd car at the time. The more things change...

I always really liked Corrados.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Of course the ST has a synchro on first! Non-synchro firsts went out of fashion in the 1960s and some cars now have a synchro on reverse as well.

Generally this happens on mechanically-sound cars because nothing is turning when you are at a full stop and the dog teeth on the synchro occasionally end up butting up against each other rather than being aligned with the gaps where they want to go. There is no rotation anywhere to turn them slightly into place.

Just lift the clutch momentarily and try again. Putting the shifter into another gear works also because it turns the clutch shaft slightly. Different timing between the wait to enter first after the clutch is pushed might help, as might applying pressure on the stick gently towards first as you push the clutch in. I hope this is helpful advice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interesting... What did dropping it into fourth do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
Interesting... What did dropping it into fourth do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you aren't moving, if your gears aren't lined up perfectly, it's very hard to get it into reverse. Putting it into 4th likely lines up the gears properly. I find that dropping it into any gear will do it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Colin1337
1 - 12 of 12 Posts