Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a fair amount of conversations regarding Oil catch cans on direct injected motors on the FocusST site. Realizing that our little Fiesta ST has not been out that long i am wondering if it could also benefit from one. There are plenty of horrific pictures of valves caked with cruddy deposits that makes me feel it could not hurt. There are also pictures of what people catch when they do install catch cans. Has anyone added one to their car yet or have any thoughts on the subject. They seem like they are not that expensive and easy to install. Thoughts?

·
Registered
269 Posts
There has been a fair amount of conversations regarding Oil catch cans on direct injected motors on the FocusST site. Realizing that our little Fiesta ST has not been out that long i am wondering if it could also benefit from one. There are plenty of horrific pictures of valves caked with cruddy deposits that makes me feel it could not hurt. There are also pictures of what people catch when they do install catch cans. Has anyone added one to their car yet or have any thoughts on the subject. They seem like they are not that expensive and easy to install. Thoughts?
The opinion on catch cans are very mixed. Some where by them others say don't bother. I'm not speaking for the FiST (or even the FoST) but just across the board (mostly from my days of GTI ownership).

When I had my GTI I had stage 1 software and never ran a catch can and the engine gave me 97k miles of flawless service until I sold the car.

Having said that, if one of the major players like Mountune comes out with one I'll consider it. However, I've never seen one from them on either side of the pond which makes me think they think there isn't much value. In which case I'm willing to kinda take that at face value.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
If someone comes out with a kit, I will buy it. If these engines are anything like the mazdaspeeds, the intake valves will eventually get gunked up and start robbing you of power
Catch cans are pretty basic. I'd think you could get any catch can and run it. You'd just need to figure out mounting and such.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ya, I might. Its just the can, a check valve, and some hose. Usually the aftermarket just looks a little cleaner
I had meant buy a nice catch can from one of the aftermarket shops; there are plenty of nice ones from some of the VW turner folks.

You could probably have a shop fab up a nice mounting bracket or it might workout that the included bracket(s) works if you get a little lucky.

Again tho, I'm not 100% convinced it's required. If it was, wouldn't Mountune be selling one (at least in the UK) to go with their PS215 kit?

·
Registered
340 Posts
all depends on the crankcase ventilation set up, bmw n54 engines have a issue with this. u have to walnut shell blast the intake system about every 50k miles.

·
Registered
269 Posts
all depends on the crankcase ventilation set up, bmw n54 engines have a issue with this. u have to walnut shell blast the intake system about every 50k miles.
It actually seems to be more than just the n54 from BMW. My friend had a Mini Cooper S which has a BMW motor and it had to be walnut blasted. Of course, I had a 135 and know a lot of people who still do and not a one of them has needed a walnut blast yet. So it might be a little to do with luck.

And then the engine in the B7 RS4 also had carbon buildup and it wasn't even turbocharged. So go figure.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The EGR system certainly does not help. Hot exhaust gas and oil mist in the intake is a undesirable combination.
I am in the process of getting the components together to fit a Catch can to my vehicle. I have used catch cans before and believe the benefits are worth the effort of fitting one .

Hose from the PCV valve to Inlet Manifold

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
cant we just use one from a focus st
You could use the can but i don't know if the lines would be the same.. I think their's comes off the back of the motor and If i got it right ours comes off the front not a big deal just a routing issue. Most any can should work i have a few laying around from my 2011 Gt and my Challengers they work well enough but i take them off when I trade or sell a vehicle as i am not sure the next owner will tend to them regularly and I hate to give away freebies on trade in's .. LOL

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
488 Posts
It actually seems to be more than just the n54 from BMW. My friend had a Mini Cooper S which has a BMW motor and it had to be walnut blasted. Of course, I had a 135 and know a lot of people who still do and not a one of them has needed a walnut blast yet. So it might be a little to do with luck.

And then the engine in the B7 RS4 also had carbon buildup and it wasn't even turbocharged. So go figure.
The cooper s doesn't have a BMW motor, it's a PSA motor made in France that is an absolute POS!

·
Registered
369 Posts
All direct injection motors will eventually need a blasting of the valves to clean them up. A catch can will help delay this, but eventually no matter what it'll have to be done. There's nothing being squirted on the intake valves to clean them on a regular basis. That's what all the additives in fuel really help clean up. And since the fuel gets directly put into the combustion chamber, they don't get cleaned.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts