Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually you can manually reset the oil life indicator. There's a procedure in the owners manual, don't remember specifically, but something like: then the car on accessory, hold down gas and brake for like 15s, message will appear. Something like that. Check ur owners manual tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Diesels are completely different and burn a lot dirtier than Gasoline engines, this is not a viable comparison.

Being that the turbo is oil cooled, the oil is subjected to higher temperatures than a NA gasoline engine. I am aware color is not a definitive indication of when to change oil, it was just an observation I made between two different engines on my own vehicles that I maintain bumper to bumper myself.

My cars are subjected to short daily commutes, therefore I change the oil at shorter intervals. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

In the diesel industry, oil change intervals can be totally different between the same engines. It all depends on the different types of duty cycles they are exposed to and the environment they run in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Actually you can manually reset the oil life indicator. There's a procedure in the owners manual, don't remember specifically, but something like: then the car on accessory, hold down gas and brake for like 15s, message will appear. Something like that. Check ur owners manual tho

It doesn't work. This has been gone over and over on all the Fiesta ST forums. Ford is aware of the issue and as far as I am aware is doing nothing about it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
O interesting, i just got the car last weekend and am new to the forums, thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks, I love it so much!! Finally getting thro the break in period so I can enjoy that BOOOOOOOOOST!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Diesels are completely different and burn a lot dirtier than Gasoline engines, this is not a viable comparison.

Being that the turbo is oil cooled, the oil is subjected to higher temperatures than a NA gasoline engine. I am aware color is not a definitive indication of when to change oil, it was just an observation I made between two different engines on my own vehicles that I maintain bumper to bumper myself.

My cars are subjected to short daily commutes, therefore I change the oil at shorter intervals. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

In the diesel industry, oil change intervals can be totally different between the same engines. It all depends on the different types of duty cycles they are exposed to and the environment they run in.
Yes the combustion is different but the basic mechanics are similar. Ironically my diesel is naturally aspirated..

And you're correct that short hops will put a lot more wear on the engine. I commute 40 miles to work one way so mostly cruise control highway for me. In most cases the worst thing for the engine is initial startup..

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It's a magic property called viscosity, coolest new thing, kinda like using a z in place off an s. Only genuine SnakeOilz have it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You seem like the typical amsoil dealer and getting involved with amsoil is kinda like joining a cult. You have to be a member to purchase the stuff, which requires a membership fee. However they always start trying to push you into becoming a dealer, it's even in some ways like a pyramid scheme. How do I know this? I've used amsoil in the past and was never particularly impressed. I also found dealing with their local dealers annoying.

Anybody who truly cares about oil should be a member over at Bob is the oil guy. The hot ticket in oils these days is the addition of boron. Pennzoil ultra platinum has one of the highest boron contents on the market. Boron happens to be a fantastic detergent.

This brings me to my final point here. You seem to be repeatedly posting your amsoil marketing dribble in different threads, have you made sure you are a forum sponsor? If so I get it, but it's all just that, marketing dribble.

The only thing that matters are the facts. I don't personally trust a single oil past 3000 miles and that is where I change all of them.

Oils are also very application specific. I run Pennzoil ultra platinum in my Fiesta. I run Rotella T6 in my miata.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You don't have to pay any fee to buy Amsoil.

I am a supporting vendor, you will see my section in the supporting vendor section. I don't think I've mentioned Amsoil in a marketing sense anywhere outside my supporting vendor section. In this thread I did mention that I have personally run 25k intervals with no problems, and posted some pictures of an engine teardown after running 7k hours with changes every 900+ hours.

I started this thread with a question about the oil life monitor and that FORD recommends 10k intervals in our cars which has nothing to do with Amsoil.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Actually, BMW reduced the interval from 15k to 10k, not 3k. 3k changes have been outdated basically since the invention of detergent oils.

Still using a non-detergent oil? Below images taken from tear down of a Dodge 2.7L from Las Vegas taxi usage. Tear-down at 102k miles (7,000 engine hours, over 300k miles with my 45mph average) with oil changes no more frequent than 900 hours (this would be about 40,000 miles at my average speed of 45mph or so... was much less with the taxi average speed of 14mph). No seafoam here.

The heavy truck industry routinely runs hundreds of thousands of miles between oil changes... but that also involves use of bypass filters.
You don't have to pay any fee to buy Amsoil.

I am a supporting vendor, you will see my section in the supporting vendor section. I don't think I've mentioned Amsoil in a marketing sense anywhere outside my supporting vendor section. In this thread I did mention that I have personally run 25k intervals with no problems, and posted some pictures of an engine teardown after running 7k hours with changes every 900+ hours.

I started this thread with a question about the oil life monitor and that FORD recommends 10k intervals in our cars which has nothing to do with Amsoil.
Hmm....

·
Registered
612 Posts
You seem like the typical amsoil dealer...
This is the first sentence mentioning Amsoil in the entire thread. You may not use it or be interested in it, but that doesn't make this a marketing thread. Outside of the random spazzing-out that happens from RDGolfer, this thread would have died last month...

I don't use Amsoil, but it's tough to discount its effectiveness-especially if you get on BITOG. It's not necessarily the least-expensive, but if you change your oil based off of UOA's (instead of the useless golfer advice of 3k miles) then it usually is a decent investment. Most people are just too lazy to try and figure out the correct OCI for their vehicle/driving/environment.

I used to use Pennzoil UP until they changed their formula, and now I use Mobile 1 EP.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Exactly. Lets recap.

I started this thread because..

VHR indicated 0% oil life when I purchased my car with a whopping 1,234 miles on it. Since Ford recommends 10k intervals I thought this was odd and I couldn't find any mention of a break in interval.

The answer to the question in fact had nothing to do with intervals, but the fact that the Fiesta ST doesn't really have a OLM (or doesn't allow to be reset) but does report in the VHR.

Then we got derailed on some topic with a few people who still prefer single weight non-detergent oils.

Final thought - my official conclusion as an automotive engineer and automotive enthusiast.

The Fiesta ST supplement recommends 10,000 mile oil change intervals. If you choose to change more or less frequently then that, it's your choice.

Mods, can this thread be closed since it seems to have outlived its usefulness?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Per OP request

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.