Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I know it may be a while for some, but i'm gonna put a lot of miles on real quick. Who is going to change the oil according to the oil minder on the car or just change it at so many miles? I've read in the manual 3k to 5k and also 5k to 10k. What is everyone's thoughts?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'll change the oil on mine a few times before I hit 1,000 miles... then once at 3,000 miles... then whenever oil analysis shows it is needed (or at or before 5,000 mile intervals).

·
Registered
45 Posts
5,000 mile intervals for me, with synthetic. I have done that for years with petro based and motors go 200K miles with no problems, why change now.
I'm going to follow the ford maintenance schedule, which specifies:

• Change engine oil and replace oil filter when indicated on vehicle message center or every 12 months, whichever occurs first
The 2014 Fiesta ST comes with a synthetic blend, but I will be going with full synthetic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think I want to do one soon tbf at about 1500 miles to get any bits out of the engine from the run in period. I also want to try some of that Millers Nanodrive oil that seems to get some people raving about it :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just did mine at 200 miles, took the stock four hole filter off and its smaller, mobil 1, ive been using it for over 10 years on all my vehicles. Any modern engine should have syn in it, for sure if u have a turbo... Lots of heat in that snail. Going to change tranny fluid at 500

·
Registered
369 Posts
You guys should read the engine break in sticky....good info in there about oil changes on a new motor.

·
Registered
923 Posts
What is your reasoning for going full synthetic?
There's a few noteworthy advantages to using a full synthetic motor oil. As long as you don't put it in too soon. That's why I recommend waiting for at least 5000-6000 miles before switching over... maybe even 8000 miles. However, not all synthetics are created equally and some oils work better in some engines, while others can be detrimental, depending on the make (for instance Royal Purple in a Nissan VQ35HR engine is a VERY bad idea). A good (i.e. real) synthetic offers a molecular advantage (most molecules are roughly the same size) so they offer better stability at high temps (bigger molecules don't make sludge while smaller molecules don't get burned off). Also contaminates are held in suspension better on a full synthetic. A few synthetics actually do provide a reduction in friction, which equates to longer service life, less heat related wear, and yes even a smidge more power. Synthetics are also better in turbocharged vehicles due to reduced chance of coking (the main reason people use a turbo timer). As I'm sure most of you know, shutting off a car with a hot turbo can cause the oil to boil and coke inside the turbo, which can cause all kinds of issues. FWIW, I'm using Kendall 5w-20 synthetic blend for the first 6000 miles and then I'll use Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 or something else. No Mobil 1 or Royal Purple for me... A few years ago most of the major synthetic oil makers like Mobil, QS, Pennzoil etc., changed their synthetic formula (and I'm not about to get into specifics) but lets just say it's not nearly as good as it used to be and leave it at that. That's because Federal rules regarding synthetics changed. Most are now just base mineral oil processed until it meets those new standards. "Processing" mineral stock base does NOT make for "man made" unfortunately. I don't know if RP has change their recipe in recent years but a few years ago they had some questionable additives. Ford recommends a 5w-20 synthetic blend or full synthetic for our Fiesta STs. Their oil is actually pretty good (and their synthetic manual transmission fluid is REALLY REALLY good). I have no idea who FoMoCo gets their oil from.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've already changed my oil twice and sent oil samples in to be analyzed. My car now has 326 miles. I will NOT be surprised to find that both samples have very high (i.e. abnormal) metal content in suspension and that is the main reason to change your oil a few times during the break-in. I also expect to find more metal content in the first oil change than the 2nd. The filter can only do so much... Why would anyone want metal that was removed from one place, be redeposited somewhere else (especially where it doesn't belong)? Think about it... ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
There's a few noteworthy advantages to using a full synthetic motor oil. As long as you don't put it in too soon. That's why I recommend waiting for at least 5000-6000 miles before switching over... maybe even 8000 miles. However, not all synthetics are created equally and some oils work better in some engines, while others can be detrimental, depending on the make (for instance Royal Purple in a Nissan VQ35HR engine is a VERY bad idea). A good (i.e. real) synthetic offers a molecular advantage (most molecules are roughly the same size) so they offer better stability at high temps (bigger molecules don't make sludge while smaller molecules don't get burned off). Also contaminates are held in suspension better on a full synthetic. A few synthetics actually do provide a reduction in friction, which equates to longer service life, less heat related wear, and yes even a smidge more power. Synthetics are also better in turbocharged vehicles due to reduced chance of coking (the main reason people use a turbo timer). As I'm sure most of you know, shutting off a car with a hot turbo can cause the oil to boil and coke inside the turbo, which can cause all kinds of issues. FWIW, I'm using Kendall 5w-20 synthetic blend for the first 6000 miles and then I'll use Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 or something else. No Mobil 1 or Royal Purple for me... A few years ago most of the major synthetic oil makers like Mobil, QS, Pennzoil etc., changed their synthetic formula (and I'm not about to get into specifics) but lets just say it's not nearly as good as it used to be and leave it at that. That's because Federal rules regarding synthetics changed. Most are now just base mineral oil processed until it meets those new standards. "Processing" mineral stock base does NOT make for "man made" unfortunately. I don't know if RP has change their recipe in recent years but a few years ago they had some questionable additives. Ford recommends a 5w-20 synthetic blend or full synthetic for our Fiesta STs. Their oil is actually pretty good (and their manual transmission fluid is REALLY REALLY good). I have no idea who FoMoCo gets their oil from.
Motorcraft Oil is what goes in Ford vehicles and is made by Connoco-Phillips, according to this thread: WHO MAKES FORD MOTOR OIL - Bob Is The Oil Guy

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Will a Ford dealer use full synthetic if you ask? Do they even have it?

My plan is to bring it to Ford at 1k miles to change oil to blend. Then at 5k I want to go full synthetic. So if Ford won't do that at dealer, I'll need to find someone I trust!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just changed at 5138mi to 5w-20 mobil 1 ep and fram xg8a filter. $38. Had to reclock a clamp to get the filter in but otherwise easy. 4.75 quarts and shes full

·
Registered
162 Posts
Will a Ford dealer use full synthetic if you ask? Do they even have it?

My plan is to bring it to Ford at 1k miles to change oil to blend. Then at 5k I want to go full synthetic. So if Ford won't do that at dealer, I'll need to find someone I trust!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Factory fill on all EcoBoost vehicles is blend. Dealers will do full synthetic, Motorcraft full synthetic is rebadged Kendell oil.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I changed my oil at 3k, because the dealer wanted me to wait til 7500 - which I found ridiculous. I used a motorcraft filter and generic synthetic oil to last til I get it changed at Ford for the "first time".

·
Registered
158 Posts
You should always use full synthetic on turbo applications, IMO. Turbo applications generate much more heat and the oil will break down quicker than in a normally aspirated engine. As for waiting until a certain mileage before you switch, sounds like a folk tale to me (with all do respect) I've never heard of waiting before switching to be a problem.

BTW 4.3qts is the recommended capacity on an oil change.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I am running a larger PL20195 and its taking about 4.6 qts due to increased filter capacity

1 - 20 of 45 Posts