Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I've been eyeing the FiST for about two months now. I've been to the dealership for 3 test drives and overall I like the car. I'm coming from a E90 M3, so there is quite a difference in luxury and price between the two. My main motives for buying a FiST is the fact that its such a bargain. You really get a lot for the price you pay. Yet I don't really know if I can see myself in one because of where I'm coming from (M3). The only things that I think I might have difficulties with is the size of the trunk/back seat, and the ride. Believe it or not, the FiST is actually stiffer (by about 35%) than the M3 (even when lowered). I have found a dealer with a car that can be allocated and built by the end of Feb/March. I have put down a hold deposit and told the dealer I will make the final decision on Monday. Anyone want to sell me on the car? :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Think of it this way...

What other cars out there have had such praise from the media? I can see this car holding its value very well over time. A 2008 Mitsubishi Evo sold for $41,000 and a used one will be $27,000. A 2008 Subaru WRX STI was $39,000 and used is $28,000-30,000. A 2008 BMW M3 E92 was $71,000 and used can be from $35,000-40,000.

The FiST is going to hold its value very well seeing as it was an inexpensive car to start as well as the fact that people are going nuts for them. It is a much better investment than many other cars as well as the fact that it has a huge aftermarket backing as well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think it really depends on your motivations. The simple answer is the FiST is no M3. I came from an E46 M3 and the FiST doesn't offer the power, luxury, or steering feel. But with all of that said you get so much for your money and it's a lot different from an M3, especially an e90. It's a lot lighter, cheaper, better on gas, etc. The weight difference is so obvious from the first time you go around a corner.

I gave up my M3 because it was a weekend/HPDE car and we have a baby on the way. So I got rid of my boring daily and my M3 and wanted something good on gas that was cheaper and could be fun around a track when I get there next season. The FiST fits the bill well.

If you don't mind the much higher cost of the m3 I can't see getting rid of it, but if you're looking for satisfaction and bang for your buck the FiST is hard to beat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the thing. I'm trying to justify keeping the M3 but the cost of ownership is 3-5 times higher than the FiST. Oil Changes are $180 - the oil alone (0W60 synthetic) is $140. OEM rear brake pads set me back $290, Two rear winter tires (245/40/18) cost $680 installed. At the same time, its such a car ... ugh ... decisions decisions. Thanks for the input, keep them coming.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's the thing. I'm trying to justify keeping the M3 but the cost of ownership is 3-5 times higher than the FiST. Oil Changes are $180 - the oil alone (0W60 synthetic) is $140. OEM rear brake pads set me back $290, Two rear winter tires (245/40/18) cost $680 installed. At the same time, its such a car ... ugh ... decisions decisions. Thanks for the input, keep them coming.
I hope you mean 10W60... :)

Maintenance stuff wouldn't really bother me. For me it came down to cost of the two cars and the fact that I wasn't driving the M3. If you don't mind the difference in gas mileage and payments then I'd keep the M3. The FiST is great, but as great as it is, it isn't an M3.

Don't get me wrong, I love my FiST, but if I could have used my M3 as my daily and day care wasn't a small fortune and my wife didn't also need a new car I'd have kept it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ultimately, the decision boils down to what you want or need in a "high performance" car and what fits your budget. I guess we all go through that assessment for many things, but when we have to decide on something that fuels our passions, it can result in quite a struggle. The FiST has the promise of great performance per dollar; reasonably priced maintenance and after market support...heck, even insurance is "cheap" compared to any of the European performance cars I've ever owned. The M3 is a great car, but can be costly to own...even the BMW motorcycles I've owned were expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. I guess if you had to limit yourself to just one vehicle to drive daily, haul the groceries and maybe hit the track on occasion, the FiST is hard to beat.

Superfly...after 3 test drives, what does your gut/passion tell you to do?

Reactions: DAC17

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had four people in my FiST at once and they all agreed they had plenty of room, passenger and backseat (none were over 6ft, though). They complimented the comfiness of the Recaros too (definitely get the Recaros if you do buy!) I can fit my monthly grocery run entirely in the trunk, but granted anything more than that and I'd have to utilize backseat space, too. The ride is more on the stiff side, but depending on where you live it might not be that noticeable. We have flat roads where I live and it's pretty smooth; I only noticed the stiffness on the brick streets of Winter Park in Orlando. Bounced around like a carnival ride lol.

On a final note I've had my FiST for a little over 6 weeks now and I still grin every time I get in it. It makes the ride to/from work more enjoyable and something that I actually look forward to. The same sentiment is echoed in a lot of reviews I've seen and read about the it: Tanner Foust laughed like a little kid on the Nurburgring and I think it was one of the Top Gear guys that said something like "this car just makes me smile and you can't put a price tag on that."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well my previous car was a Lexus ISF, and I couldn't be happier with my little Fiesta. There's plenty of room in it - I went to IKEA and got a new office desk into the back no problem. This car is an absolute BLAST to drive. All the car magazines rave about it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Superfly...after 3 test drives, what does your gut/passion tell you to do?
My gut tell me I like the car. My friends are laughing at me (literally), they can't understand how you can go from an M3 to a Fiesta. At the end of the day, its a new car, better gas mileage, and a lot cheaper ... my gut can't forget about that :) ... I'm torn. BTW can the sound symposer be disabled?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Sound tube can be disconnected under the hood and plugged if you so desire. Are you buying this car for image or for fun and cost effectiveness vs the BMW. ?? I get the raised eyebrow when folks at my work aks about my lil FRS and I say I have a better one in the FiST.. I just smile and look at then and say "Its got guts in second gear the FRS will never have stock" .. Smile and wave boys ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Reactions: Pelotonracer2

·
Registered
773 Posts
Even Jeremy Clarkson himself says that this car is a future classic like the Sierra Cosworth. Praise does not get much higher than that.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Damn in all honesty I probably would never trade a E90 for a GoKart unless money situation was really bad. The FiST is fun lots of fun but dang man an E90? I take a lot of flack from my friends for trading my TL, I would have to move from my neighborhood if i was in that situation...lol
I had a friend who has a 5series send this to me earlier today smh...

But you know what I dont really care anymore and so shouldn't you.

·
Registered
340 Posts
im selling my e93 335, ive had the st for a few weeks now. the 6 speed is great, the power is fine for real world driving,just down shift to 4th and blow by people. its lighter and handles better than the e93, interior is ok. sync nav is very nice. the ride is stiff but going with 16" wheels may help a bit. im happy so far. my friends with audi's m5's infinitys kind of gave me a hard time. just take them for a spirited drive in it. the st is not a drag racer...its a canyon carver....

·
Registered
269 Posts
If money was no object I'd imagine the OP would keep the M3, but money is almost always (big) part of decisions like this. For the cost to buy and own I don't think you can beat the FiST.

As for your friends giving you grief stundoggie I'd tell him to poop in his hat. In my opinion, you upgraded by getting the FiST, but I'm not a big fan of the TL.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hi guys. I've been eyeing the FiST for about two months now. I've been to the dealership for 3 test drives and overall I like the car. I'm coming from a E90 M3, so there is quite a difference in luxury and price between the two. My main motives for buying a FiST is the fact that its such a bargain. You really get a lot for the price you pay. Yet I don't really know if I can see myself in one because of where I'm coming from (M3). The only things that I think I might have difficulties with is the size of the trunk/back seat, and the ride. Believe it or not, the FiST is actually stiffer (by about 35%) than the M3 (even when lowered). I have found a dealer with a car that can be allocated and built by the end of Feb/March. I have put down a hold deposit and told the dealer I will make the final decision on Monday. Anyone want to sell me on the car? :)
Well, I have a long list of nice cars I used to own. '97 Viper GTS, '04 ATI supercharged 350Z, '04 Lingenfelter Z06, '02 Cobb RT-Spec WRX, '99 supercharged Dakota R/T, '02 Ford Lightning SVT, '03 Mercedes E500 ... I could go on and on (The FiST is my 49th vehicle since I was 18). But now that I am retired (and have kids) I'm more into practicality and bang for the buck. Between online gaming, cycling and car stuff, I still have to live within my means or I'll have to go back to work. lol. The FiST is an absolute blast, cheap to own, run and maintain... and will get much better fuel economy than most cars with this kind of performance. The FiST an absolutely fantastic car and fits a unique niche. It also seems to be a very modifiable platform and I believe the aftermarket will really catch on to this car soon.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Damn in all honesty I probably would never trade a E90 for a GoKart unless money situation was really bad. The FiST is fun lots of fun but dang man an E90? I take a lot of flack from my friends for trading my TL, I would have to move from my neighborhood if i was in that situation...lol
I had a friend who has a 5series send this to me earlier today smh...

But you know what I dont really care anymore and so shouldn't you.
Hilarious meme... LOL

1 - 20 of 71 Posts