Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last summer my ST was overheating in traffic with or without the air conditioner on. The dealer (who also forgot to put coolant in before giving it back to me) said it was a bad thermostat. This whole process took about a month and after all was said and done it was October and cooler weather approached. Now it is June and while going up the grapevine today the car overheated again.
I pulled over and waited 15 - 20 mins three times trying to keep it cool while still trying to get up the mountain, coolant level was a smidge below max and boiling.. This is highly concerning to me since I only have 2k miles left on my warranty.

WP_20150613_16_12_27_Raw.jpg

Please tell me I'm not the only one with a "summer" light? especially when most users here have tons of work done. I'm stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Something is wonky with your cooling system. I've been seeing high temps here in FL lately, and haven't had an issue and I'm stuck in traffic most of the time.

My guess is a clog somewhere, or busted cooling fan.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I seem to remember there being a run of cars built with partially clogged radiators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Take it in. Sounds like you have a bigger issue. Maybe a bad head gasket

·
Registered
132 Posts
As long as you start the complaints before warranty ends, you have grounds to claim warranty for the exact problem you've complained before. It'll be kinda like pulling teeth but doable. Also, have you considered a "heavier" oil as a band-aid meanwhile?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taking it into the dealer with my Ford CSM behind me again. I still don't feel confident they will fix it, Sick of the "Oh whats ST mean?" attitude.

I really love this car but the lack of knowledge and poor support by dealerships is killing it for me.

·
Registered
678 Posts
That definitely sucks, but should definitely be covered.

It might be brutal, but if this happens again, blast the heater. The heater core acts as a mini radiator.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I read that on here before and tried it one of the times and burnt myself to a crisp in the car :p

It's strange once it goes over the 4th bar it climbs to the 8 in under 20 seconds

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Dealer said they didn't find anything and will need it another day.

They also tried to sell me on a warranty and said I cant get a rental car because I don't have a warranty with rental?

Ford CSM took care of that real fast but really?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Update: Dealer said they didn't find anything and will need it another day.

They also tried to sell me on a warranty and said I cant get a rental car because I don't have a warranty with rental?

Ford CSM took care of that real fast but really?
This may be a dumb question but whats Ford CSM?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This may be a dumb question but whats Ford CSM?
Not a dumb question at all! CSM = Customer Service Manager

I wont go to a dealer unless someone from Ford is aware I am there and is a phone call away to get shit straightened out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not a dumb question at all! CSM = Customer Service Manager

I wont go to a dealer unless someone from Ford is aware I am there and is a phone call away to get shit straightened out.
Oh gotcha. I could have used that info about a week ago lol. If you have about five minutes of reading time go over to the "what did you do to your fiesta" thread and read my post from about an hour ago(last page). hopefully it makes as much sense reading it as it did typing it ( its 11pm here at the east coast so I'm really tired lol) Ive been through hell with my car and ford service.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealer didn't find any issues so they drove it up the Cajon Pass with a laptop connected and it overheated. :rolleyes:

Looks like I'll be stuck in this Nissan Versa rental for a while.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The dealer didn't find any issues so they drove it up the Cajon Pass with a laptop connected and it overheated. :rolleyes:

Looks like I'll be stuck in this Nissan Versa rental for a while.
Well thats a good thing because it will at least get fixed now

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thats a good thing because it will at least get fixed now
Yeah I'm trying to stay positive about it but I just really miss my car and don't trust dealers.

Ford told the dealer the radiator needs to be replaced and its a few weeks out from being delivered.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the car back earlier than expected.

They replaced the entire radiator assembly.

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not a hijack attempt.....but mine ran up to the H mark as well going up a mountain road today ....Cherohala skyway in TN / NC. Air temps in the low to mid 90's and I'm not sure on the specific elevation increase am guessing 3-4000 feet total but it is stretched over several miles...say 5-7 if not more. I was around 2000-2500 rpm during the ascent with the ac on. At the very end of the climb up the temp gauge went from the middle to right at H mark in about 3-5 minutes which was fixed by turning ac off and going to full heat/hi and the temp bar went back down to normal within 4 minutes.

So I was thinking I was lugging the motor possibly so back down the mountain and let the car sit on at idle for about 5 minutes and went back up the mountain this time staying right at 2500- 3000rpm area with the ac on same setting at the first trip up. Lo and behold it went to the range bar but never any higher. Other than significant/ prolonged elevation climbs, I've never had any issue and that includes Florida summers/ 15 hour days on the interstate. I'm right at 58,000 miles. I plan on buying some extra antifreeze and water just in case and heading back over to trouble shoot. Both my climbs up the mountain were at the posted speed limits 35-45-55mph segments throughout there are several areas of twisty 15/20mph curves on the way up. I'll grab the mobius dash camera and film the climb so you guys can witness firsthand.

I've climbed the same mountain road with the wifes 12' fiesta SE and with it screaming at 4000-5000rpm on the way up just to make it and never an issue with engine temps. FiST is plus 70hp over the SE......something ain't right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my car has never had the temps move beyond the normal temps(i think its four bars on the temp gauge) and I've driven it fairly spirited on 90+ degree days and sat in stop and go for hours on 90+ degree days as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts