Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

Are you looking to purchase a Quaife differential?

• Yes. Must have!

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Maybe at some point. Can't say when.

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • What did Miley Cirus have for Thanksgiving? Twerky

Votes: 3 18.8%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Wanting to gauge your interest in purchasing the Quaife differential. List is $1081.50. To get a worthy discount, there has to be 6 members ready to buy. The differentials will be manufactured by Quaife in the UK and shipped to the NA distributor, then drop shipped to you. Figure 6-8 weeks.

For reference, the lifetime warranty is honored only for Quaife differentials sold through the North American distributor. So if you buy a differential outside of the USA, for use in the USA, you have no warranty. When registering your differential for the warranty, the serial number is required. Quaife keeps track of the unit serial numbers sold throughout the world. As such, only NA serial unit differentials are warrantied/serviced here in the USA. Just want to be clear as with certain manufacturers, North America will have exclusive selling rights, and only warranty parts here. There are businesses outside of North America that will sell to anyone, irregardless of the warranty details.

Take the quick poll. Ask any questions. Thanks!

Participant list:
1.rodmoe
2.VRYALT3R3D

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Anyone know what installing one of these runs? I'm handy but breaking open the tranny is beyond what I feel comfortable doing myself.

·
Registered
773 Posts
How would this affect the brake vectoring? Also, is it a 1, 1.5 or 2 way?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How would this affect the brake vectoring? Also, is it a 1, 1.5 or 2 way?
Take a moment to read this.

Perfect Circle Autosport customers with Focus ST's have fitted Quaife ATB differentials. They have experienced increased forward traction and a solid reduction of steering wheel snatch for quicker suspension set, traction and speed in curves. The Quaife and TVC do not work against one another.

I am not going to knock TVC, but it cannot replicate the Quaife ATB's performance. The most obvious tell TVC is not a full on performance solution, is the ST's system "anticipates" inner wheel spin, through the combination of wheel speed, steering angle, and an algorithm. Brakes are pulsed in "anticipation" of wheel spin. The Quaife works independent of wheel speed and steering angle, progressively transferring torque load full time.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Take a moment to read this.

Perfect Circle Autosport customers with Focus ST's have fitted Quaife ATB differentials. They have experienced increased forward traction and a solid reduction of steering wheel snatch for quicker suspension set, traction and speed in curves. The Quaife and TVC do not work against one another.

I am not going to knock TVC, but it cannot replicate the Quaife ATB's performance. The most obvious tell TVC is not a full on performance solution, is the ST's system "anticipates" inner wheel spin, through the combination of wheel speed, steering angle, and an algorithm. Brakes are pulsed in "anticipation" of wheel spin. The Quaife works independent of wheel speed and steering angle, progressively transferring torque load full time.
Interesting that it never locks. I know the Quaife diff in the Focus RS is supposedly amazing. I would have to drive one to be sure though.

When I start to AutoX this would likely be needed.

Reactions: rodmoe

·
Registered
77 Posts
A guy in my area was the first person to install a Quaife in the Focus ST, it completely changed the dynamics of the car, acceleration and cornering in particular. feels amazing.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I would glady have paided for a $1600 dealer installed option for this LSD. But... Until my 36k mile is up, I'm out. Hopefully, someone who installs one can describe what is involved. Super glad to know it exsist though. The Focus DEFFINATELY NEEDED one more than fist.
It all depends. Any higher HP front wheel driven car will benefit greatly from a LSD. In the winter it will help a lot with traction. In auto cross situations it will help pull you out of tight corners and allow you to be harder on the loud pedal. Grip is great and a LSD will give lots of that!

Reactions: rodmoe

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bumping this up. Have a week or so to go for spring delivery. Need 6 presold orders to make this a go.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've actually been very happy with the TVC. I live in Iowa and we've had snow on the ground for the last month and my FiST has been doing better in the snow with General all season tires than my Saab did in the snow. Unless you plan on doing heavy tuning, I don't see the point, it's just added weight and worse fuel economy .

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you're running full snow tires then yeah I can see wheel spin in 3rd especially with a tune. I opted for all seasons for budget reasons, but the General's I got are actually really good in the snow and still have very good dry and wet reviews. Anyways back on topic...

I still think unless you're going for some bigger HP numbers the TVC will be better. I watched this a while back, but skip to 4:30 in the video and watch the Focus ST vs the Mazdaspeed 3 torque steer test. The Speed 3 only makes 10 lb/ft of torque more than the FoST, and limits boost in 1st gear to reduce torque steer, and still loses by a lot. Seems the TVC is doing a better job at getting the power down in a more efficient fashion. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe Ford can constantly update the TVC algorithm through software updates at the dealer (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts