Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post this in case anyone else experiences coolant issues from the factory. I'll preface this by stating that I've been a Ford fan my entire life (mid 30s) and I've owned ten different Fords, six of which were purchased new. With that said...

Here's how the first 675 miles has gone.

I picked the car up with less than a mile on it. It was already dark when I picked it up and about 20 degrees outside, so going through it with a fine tooth comb didn't happen. I drove it home (about 130 miles) and was happy with the purchase. The next day, while showing the car to an employee and looking at the engine, I noticed the coolant was a little low. I topped it off and didn't think anything of it. I just figured the factory didn't top it off.

After running around town for a week, I had about 200 miles on it. On a Friday, I decided to run down the road to a competitor and count the cars coming in for pizza. While sitting there I noticed my air was blowing cold. I decided to head home (about 1.5miles) and check it out. On the way back the car killed itself, CEL'ed, and went into limp mode. I called Ford Roadside and had it towed in to the local Ford shop. Two days later, I get a call and am told it had a bad thermostat from the factory. It was replaced and I'm good to go.

I pick the car up and drive it for the next two weeks (about 200 more miles). I'm watching the fluid now and notice it getting low again. I take it back in. This time, they tell me that it was air in the system from the first time it was in the shop. I think "okay, we'll see" and pick the car back up.

Fast forward another week and bam, cold air again. I check the coolant and yep, it is low again. This was after about 200 more miles. I take it back up there again and tell them to keep it until they figure out what exactly the real problem is. Later that day, one of my employees called me (he works there too). He tells me the motor is plucked and that coolant is in the 4th cylinder.

Later that day, the service manager calls and tells me what my employee has already told me. He also let me know they are sending a crate motor to replace mine with. Ford initially wanted the mechanic to just rebuild mine, but he went to bat for me and told them he didn't feel comfortable doing that. I told him thanks because he saved me from having to scream at them because there was no way I was going to let them just rebuild it.

The new motor is here now and I should have the car back in a couple of days. I don't want the car as I don't trust it now, but I can't take the hit on trade-in either. I can see it now, "Well sir, we can only offer you $5.00 for it as a trade because it has had a new motor put in it". Ford has no responsibility to repurchase the car, just repair it per the warranty. I just don't like the fact that I know have a car that is going to have major history issues and I'm the one that is going to have to eat the cost of those issues.

I went to the dealership as I had left my wife's V-day present in the car. I talked with the mechanic for a while and this is the first one he has seen like this. He thinks there was a flaw somewhere in the block or head casting.

Like I stated earlier, I'm posting this for others to see in case they experience the same coolant issues.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. But you should be ok with a new motor. Enjoy the car!

tapa tapin

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Wont that new motor show up in the fax report and devalue the car in the future? If so Ford should give you a new car man....F that.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wont that new motor show up in the fax report and devalue the car in the future? If so Ford should give you a new car man....F that.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
That's exactly how I feel. I have little faith they will do that however. Ford and the dealerships are two different organizations. The dealership certainly isn't going to want to take the hit and I doubt Ford will want too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Im not sure where you are, but you may want to check into Lemon Laws for your state...
This^

You got me scared since my coolant was at the low mark when i got the car and I put some in recently and it hasnt gone down any so far *knocks on wood*. Sorry for your bad luck hopefully everything goes well with the new engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not sure where you are, but you may want to check into Lemon Laws for your state...
In my state they get three chances. If it breaks again (4th time) I have to send a certified letter stating my intention to file it as a lemon. Then they have ten days to repair it. So, I'll have to wait and see if it breaks a 4th time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It should be fine and it should say in the reports mileage when it was replaced. If it was a factory flaw it shouldn't devalue because it's new not a rebuild. I would rather but knew motor not rebuilt motor. Don't quote me on all this but ya.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am already fed up of my car as well.

Lost loads of power... Turns out that it was the build issue with loose boost pipes which I tightened my self....
A part of the plastic interior trim that has the air bag light on fell off and I had to just sorta hit it a few times to get it to clip back on.
and now my wheel bearing has gone and apparently its my fault for hitting a pot hole and they are charging £170 to replace it. On a car with only 5100 miles I have never heard such a thing

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am already fed up of my car as well.

Lost loads of power... Turns out that it was the build issue with loose boost pipes which I tightened my self....
A part of the plastic interior trim that has the air bag light on fell off and I had to just sorta hit it a few times to get it to clip back on.
and now my wheel bearing has gone and apparently its my fault for hitting a pot hole and they are charging £170 to replace it. On a car with only 5100 miles I have never heard such a thing
How did the car feel with the loss of power? I have an inkling that I may be hitting this issue as well (it's subtle, though).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Lemon laws in most states require three repair attempts. That means three documented repair attempts on a repair. (California and New York are a bit different)

Now I don't work for Ford but I do work at another dealership and we have replaced engines in our cars at low miles and I have not see those repairs show on a carfax so I wouldn't be worried about that. Also the engine is brand new so I would probably drive it with no worries, that is what warranties are for.

In the end of the day though, if you really don't want it you would need to get the ball rolling with Ford Customer Assistance as it would be Ford's call not the dealership to replace your car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
How did the car feel with the loss of power? I have an inkling that I may be hitting this issue as well (it's subtle, though).
I'm fairly certain my hose clamps are loose as well, but with no way to get under the car right now, I'm going to have to 'deal with it' until I'm finished moving to the new house and / or the weather improves.

It does look pretty easy to tighten them up if you can get under the car and have a basic set of wrenches/sockets/extensions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is sorta weird. It just didn't feel like it was up to the task of throwing me into the seat haha. Tbf on another forum there was a guy who had a boost gauge and he could only boost 16psi. After tightening he could reach 24psi :O massive difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I picked the car up a week ago. I have since driven it about 800 miles (took a road trip for the weekend) and it is burning coolant again. Yay me.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wtf? That's......weird and sad. What has ford said about it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well, I picked the car up a week ago. I have since driven it about 800 miles (took a road trip for the weekend) and it is burning coolant again. Yay me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
epic-jackie-chan-template.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts