Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I pick up my Oxford White Fiesta ST tomorrow. Only option is the Recaro seats, exactly the car I wanted. As such, the dealer did not have it on the lot and had it driven about 150 miles from a dealer in Va Beach.

I'm just curious if you guys have any pointers while I do my vehicle inspection. Have you guys noticed any factory defects or signs of dealership mishandling after taking delivery of yours?

I hope to take it for a quick drive, obviously inspect the paint closely for scratches and the body for dents. My salesman will be there to walk me through MyTouch. Anything else to look out for?

·
Registered
340 Posts
i guess the normal, paint issues, all booklets, watch to see if they try to add anything like etch, wheel locks, warranty, service plans... all the scams. i would check cold tire pressure before i leave the lot.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Make sure they turn off the transportation mode? LOL. Range is about 15 miles and the car shuts off and alerts Ford (like it was stolen). I *almost* left the dealership with it in Transportation mode. :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
So this is what I noticed when I bought mine... Someone tested the car who had what I would say is a big ass ring. Inside the door handle was scratched, the shift knob(right side) and the right side mirror. I can only speculate he or she was oblivious to there damaging grip.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
They repainted the handle for me because I discovered it prior to signing.

Oh, and what about the front license bracket. I asked that they remove it, and they only told me they wouldn't until after I signed. It's riveted at the plant.

Advice is a slow detailed walk around.

·
Registered
269 Posts
There isn't some magic answer to it and it's not a big thing. Just walk around the car and check out the interior. It's all covered under warranty and if you find something after driving off the lot the dealer should still help you out. It doesn't require a lot of stress.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Make sure they turn off the transportation mode? LOL. Range is about 15 miles and the car shuts off and alerts Ford (like it was stolen). I *almost* left the dealership with it in Transportation mode. :p
What the hell is transportation mode?!

·
Registered
105 Posts
What the hell is transportation mode?!
My dealer mentioned that to me as well when I went for the test drive. He said its when they make the suspension extra stiff and inflate the tire to very high pressure...
Something like that.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
Check they have given you a full tank of fuel.. If not insist they do and make sure it's premium... then break her in the long way home :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm just curious if you guys have any pointers while I do my vehicle inspection. Have you guys noticed any factory defects or signs of dealership mishandling after taking delivery of yours?
Congrats on the car, i've found this topic over at the STnation Forums (link below). There are about 5 pages or so, it is a thread specifically for the FoST but has general things to look for that you can apply to our ST!

The Official Focus ST Delivery Inspection Checklist Thread

·
Registered
81 Posts
They repainted the handle for me because I discovered it prior to signing.

Oh, and what about the front license bracket. I asked that they remove it, and they only told me they wouldn't until after I signed. It's riveted at the plant.

Advice is a slow detailed walk around.

This. If you live in a state without the front plate, but the dealership sourced the car from one that does (like mine did) you're screwed unless you ask them to remove it *before* you sign all the paperwork. I got enormous push-back just to have the dealer's service dept drill out the rivets and give me two lousy black plastic plugs. And they kept my bracket. To even do that i had to raise hell with the sales manager, the finance manager, and the customer service manager. For 2 lousy $.60 plugs. They would not even throw in a tube of touch up paint to paint them.

Cliffs notes, if you don't need the bracket, have them pull it off, and fill/paint the front bumper. Or be prepared to have holes or the bracket until you move the car out of your ownership.

Stupid decision to rivet it through the painted surface anyway.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yep, and do that by following the suggested break in procedure :)
Yeah, according to the almost non existant "suggested" break in procedure in the ST supplement... a new engine does not need an extensive break-in. According to Ford (and every other manufacturer on planet earth) a new engine, with new parts doesn't need anything but varying your speed. That essentially means you can drive it any way you want, as long as you vary your speed between idle and red line. So go ahead, do a few drag race starts, rev the motor up and run it up to 100 mph. lol. That is "varying your speed" isn't it? :p. Ford (or any other car maker) would hate that your vehicle could potentially last three times as long as it was designed (all the manufacturers want you to buy a new car sooner.. than later). They certainly don't want you to have a drivetrain that makes more power or gets better fuel economy over the life of the vehicle. I get a laugh when people start having mechanical problems after only 100,000 miles. When asked how they broke the car in, the answer was always "I followed" the owners manual. LOL However, if you only plan on keeping your car for 2-3 years, break-in really doesn't matter at all. Most importantly, have fun. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Get the stealership to check the boost pipes. Quite a few have popped off in the1st couple of 100 miles because they arent tightened to spec in the factory.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Get the stealership to check the boost pipes. Quite a few have popped off in the1st couple of 100 miles because they arent tightened to spec in the factory.
I wonder if it is so common that Ford will order a recall...I will just check mine and tighten as needed. My Mazdaspeed3 inlet tube was loose like that too when it was new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts