Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

We at OAKOS had special RPF1 wheels made for the Focus ST. We have been asked to make a custom run for the Fiesta ST also, and we want your input.

This is a LINK to a poll I made on the color everyone wanted for the Focus ST. This are the options for the Fiesta too, Gunmetal, Bronze, Black, Silver and Gold.

The thing I need help with from all of you that are interested is what size to have made.

The choices I was thinking
1. 17x7 +45mm (Closest to stock)
2. 17x8 +45mm (More width more Grip !!)
3. 17x7.5 +48mm (A little wider but the offset is tucked more then stock)
4. 17x8 +35mm (Stance, fender work is more likley, more stress on the wheel hubs)

We don't have access to a Fiesta ST at our shop so I can't measure to wheel size, fender space and strut clearance. I know option "1." will work, but if everyone want a meaty tire then option "2." is the best. So if anyone can help us out that would be awesome, then we can get a Group Buy started and hopefully have these here by Spring.

The Poll will be for the size but if you can also post your color choice in this thread and I will keep take of that too.

Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Any possibility of the SBC coating on these?

Also what would the weight be on the 7" & 7.5" rims? Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's possibleto get SBC if the interest is there but most people don't want to spend the extra $250 for SBC. So most people settle for the Gunmetal.

Weight for all this sizes is about 15.3-15.8 lbs

·
Registered
946 Posts
I don't mind spending the extra on wheels to get them how I want. These will be cheap compared to the TrueForged wheels I bought for the mustang lol.

Big thing I'd like to see is them ON the car before I pull the trigger. I'd hate to buy em and have them fit like crap..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since they don't make this wheel and we have to order 40 wheels, so there is not any way to see them before. I was trying to figure out the fitment people want so we have enough interest to place an order. I know the 17x7 45 is a good fitment but most people want a wider wheel if they are going to buy a set of wheels. Since the car is so new it is hard to find information about what fits safe without having to get coilovers or rolling the fenders.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'd be interested in a set of 7.5's that sat almost fender flush, just tucked in just enough not to worry about rub, but aggressive enough where you don't need to run spacers. That in an SBC finish, take my money lol. Where's your shop located?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Why would people always want wider?

How about in 16inch or even 15 for people interested in extracting some additional handling prowess from the car?

The 17's look great, but they are likely not the optimal size for this platform.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd prefer the 7.5" width and then put a 215 tire. 17" rim is good for me. There are plenty of 15" and 16" wheels out there that will fit.

and I'd like the gunmetal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How exactly would it handle better on a 15" rim..?
Much lighter wheel/tire assembly (Less unsprung weight).

The additional sidewall can act as additional spring effect to assist the compromised suspension in controlling the chassis on abrupt maneuvers. The rear suspension is a torsion beam which is only a few degrees more advanced than a live axle and the additional compliance and spring effect provided by some sidewall can help.

40 series tires are always fashionable and on the right platforms are optimal, but they are not universally optimal. Particularly, on light FWD platforms, a large wheel and minimal sidewall contributes more to the look than it does to ultimate performance.

I'm not a Ford suspension engineer, but it's widely known that larger wheels are required by the marketing department and not always desired by the engineering minds working on the car. It's simply logical that a car at this weight and power level would benefit from 15 or 16 inch wheels and would find it hard to exceed the capabilities of setups in those sizes.

·
Registered
946 Posts
While the rim will be lighter, the tire will be heavier which will negate a portion of the savings you got from a smaller rim, and I feel like the additional rollover from the 15" sidewall would hurt rather than help. A 16" I could see helping in the handling/weight department marginally. I could be wrong though..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately the 17" wheel options are the only choice with the RPF1 wheels. I can't change the offset, I have a list of wheel sizes they make and can only change the bolt pattern.

ENKEI RPF1 SIZE CHART LINK

So 17x7.5 would need a spacer to get away from the 48 offset.

Sorry I can't add more options to the wheel size since I started the thread. If you want a 16" just post which one in a post. You can look through the ones in the link above and post it up.

16x7" +43mm, 16x8 +38mm and 15x7 +41mm

These look like the only good choices, and I didn't think there would be any interest in those sizes. The major hurtle we need to get over if people want these made is all agreeing on a size and color. I figured "more" people would want a 17".

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would put 16x7.5 or 16x7 with 215/4516 on the car. Compared to OEM 205/40/17 (23.45") the 215/45/16 (23.61) is almost the same size and won't effect the speedo. Reduction in rotational mass from lighter/smaller wheel/tire combo should help in all areas of handling - braking, acceleration, suspension compliance. I think with 215/45/16 offset would have to be +42-45mm to compensate for more wheel sticking out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would put 16x7.5 or 16x7 with 215/4516 on the car. Compared to OEM 205/40/17 (23.45") the 215/45/16 (23.61) is almost the same size and won't effect the speedo. Reduction in rotational mass from lighter/smaller wheel/tire combo should help in all areas of handling - braking, acceleration, suspension compliance. I think with 215/45/16 offset would have to be +42-45mm to compensate for more wheel sticking out.
So I will count your vote as a 16x7" 43mm offset.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm not going to vote because I like the stock wheels and won't be changing them for a while, but if I was going to vote I would want something wider for more grip. So either the 7.5 +48 or the 8 +45. I would go with the latter as long as the fitment is good and it doesn't rub.

I don't mind spending the extra on wheels to get them how I want. These will be cheap compared to the TrueForged wheels I bought for the mustang lol.

Big thing I'd like to see is them ON the car before I pull the trigger. I'd hate to buy em and have them fit like crap..
If you click on the link in the OP for the Focus thread it has pictures of all the different colors on the FoST so you can get a rough idea of what they look like.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well I've been doing a little digging around the Mk1 Focus and how similar in size they are to the Fiesta ST. I found that a 17x8 wheel with a +45 mm offset is going to be a very tight fit as far as the wheel rubbing the rear shocks. That isn't confirmed as there are people running 18x8+42mm without an issue. I'm trying to see if those people can measure the distance between the inside edge of the wheel/tire and the shocks. Keep in mind that people I'm reaching out to aren't running any sort of adjustable camber arms so camber is almost nonexistent.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd be interested in a 17 x 8 that sits nearly flush with the fenders, it's either these or I wait until the spring and buy Fifteen52 Tarmac's.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Much lighter wheel/tire assembly (Less unsprung weight).

The additional sidewall can act as additional spring effect to assist the compromised suspension in controlling the chassis on abrupt maneuvers. The rear suspension is a torsion beam which is only a few degrees more advanced than a live axle and the additional compliance and spring effect provided by some sidewall can help.

40 series tires are always fashionable and on the right platforms are optimal, but they are not universally optimal. Particularly, on light FWD platforms, a large wheel and minimal sidewall contributes more to the look than it does to ultimate performance.

I'm not a Ford suspension engineer, but it's widely known that larger wheels are required by the marketing department and not always desired by the engineering minds working on the car. It's simply logical that a car at this weight and power level would benefit from 15 or 16 inch wheels and would find it hard to exceed the capabilities of setups in those sizes.
My track experience (though I'm not a pro at any level) tells me the same. I'm currently on 16's with 205 45 16 and the ride is much much better, and there is absolutely no shortcomings I have come up with yet, compared to the stock 17's. I'd love to get some 15" of 16" wheels for my track tires - lighter and a lot less bump steer!!!!

I vote for 16x7.5 at 43mm offset if that's possible. I would not want to roll my fenders...

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.